The Student Room Group

What A Levels did you take? And Why? :)

Just wondering what other people are doing or did. Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

In sig.

Um, because I enjoy them?
Reply 2
geography, biology, chemistry a-levels (just finished), as well as history to AS

why? I guessed it was a good range not all science (I'm not really into english and those things) and all respected
Reply 3
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Business Studies...mainly cos I enjoyed them and knew I could do well in them, also to keep my options open for uni.
English, Psychology and Geography because I prefer essay-based subjects
In Ireland, we do the Leaving Cert which is similar to A Levels and I did;
- Irish, English, Maths (all required)
- Business, I like business subjects
- Accounting, same reason as above
- History, have a big interest in history
- Biology, I wanted a science subject to study and I figured it would be the easiest one but man was I wrong...
Reply 6
I chose Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. Biology and Chemistry because I want to be a vet so I need them, although I do also enjoy them - particularly Biology. Maths because I like it and it's always been my strongest subject :smile: And I took Geography, which I plan to drop at the end of the year, because I thought it would be more enjoyable and relaxing than my other subjects! Plus there was an awesome trip. How wrong I was! I hate Geography, and I really regret taking it. I find it incredibly boring and completely unchallenging! Especially human Geography.
Bio, Chem, Phys, Tech, Critical thinking, General studies
I originally chose Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Psychology. After failing Biology and Chemistry, I picked up RS intensively.
Business Studies, Physics, I.C.T and Biology

Im wanting to do Business at University so i thought BUSS and I.C.T would fit nicely. I also took a couple of science subjects because i enjoy physics but also i challenged myself with a difficult subject.
Mathematics - Started early and it's probably my best subject
Chemistry - I assumed it'd be interesting at A-level and need it for Medicine
Biology - I've always enjoyed it
English Literature - I like analysing texts and wanted a non-science subject
Psychology - I thought the subject would be really interesting considering I once wanted to be a psychologist
Maybe pick up French - I love the language so much and already know most of the A-level grammar
:smile:
I took Maths, Physics, Product design and Geography.

Reasons:
Maths - I wanted to become an engineer of some sort and so I knew that Maths A level was a necessity to take in order to acomplish this. However I am now studying Maths at university because I enjoyed the subject so much and only regret not taking further maths!
Physics - again based on engineering and the fact that I enjoyed it at GCSE
Product Design - I thought it would benefit me if I was to do an engineering degree as I would have some design experience
Geography - extremely enjoyed the subject at GCSe, however found that it was my worst nightmare at A level and dropped it after AS

My advice to anyone thinking about what A level to choose, then choose them mainly on how much you enjoy them and not so much on what you "think" you want to do when you're older. Luckily for me I enjoyed the 3 A levels I took and after changing my mind and wanting to do maths at university, I had the right A levels to do this and due to the fact I enjoyed them, I had the right grades.

Anybody with questions or anybody needing further advice about A level decisions, then please do not hesitate to ask.
Reply 12
english lit
history
geography
psychology

why? they are all closely linked and i'm good at them (in comparison to physics and maths)

if i was good at physics and maths, i would have taken physics and maths.
Maths/F.Maths/Stats - give a good basis for university maths and i find maths isn't too bad to get my head round

History - Felt like taking a non-mathematical subject to avoid getting bored with just straight maths, and felt it would be good to have a humanities when applying for uni

Chemistry - a backup subject just in case i wanted to do sciences at uni or if history turned out to be too difficult
Biology - because I wa good at it in GCSE.

Chemistry - because I wanted to do Vet. Med. at the time and thus it was compulsory. Plus, I figured it would allow me great flexibility.

Maths - Same as Chem.

Psychology - Genuinely interested in it.
I took maths, physics, chemistry, biology and computing, tbh, I enjoy all of these, but somedo have relevence.

I plan on doing medicine, and chemistry is compulsory for this pretty much for most if not all medical unis. 2 other sciences and or a science and maths is encouraged. I love physics, maths I grasp quite easily thank God, and computing I felt was different and I enjoy very much, like learning a new language :tongue:.

I don't really want to drop any of these at A2 so I may take them all to A2 if I do well in my results God willing :smile:
They are in my signature.

I took them primarily because they are my favourite subjects but also because it will help as I want to do Maths or Maths with Physics at university. Additionally, if I change my mind, there are plenty of other degrees I could do with those subjects. :h:
Combination of maths and science :smile: because i enjoy them and thats what i want to do at uni

Original post by Maths_Lover

:hi:
Original post by Miss Anonymous
Combination of maths and science :smile: because i enjoy them and thats what i want to do at uni

:hi:

Hello again! :hi:
Reply 19
English Literature - Basically, I just love books...

Spanish - Well, it was between that and history and for Spanish the trip was way better... :wink: And it just seemed slightly more useful.

Maths - I find it quite easy and interesting

Further maths - I had a misguided notion in year 11 that I might like to do a maths degree...

And they all seemed like quite well-respected subjects that could be used for a few different degree courses if I changed my mind.

Quick Reply

Latest