The Student Room Group

King's College - Henley Management School

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by violenti
I did my undergrad at Kings, and did an MBA recently at Henley Business School. I have sent a private message to the thread starter here about the shocking staff and their behaviour at Henley usiness school. The place is in a mess, and I cannot say publicly just some of the horrendous antics Henley Management College were involved in. Including illegal suspension of students, tampering with marks to ensure people who passed were told they had failed, failure to account for fees resulting in people being wrongfully suspended. All of which has lead to a complete reorganisation of the School, folowing Readinf University staff being put in charge. In one year the Dean od the School was "removed" from office, as was the Head of the School, one Professor, 1 Programme Manager, several so called lecturers. The standard of academics is shocking to the point of it being laughable! Rest assured KCL and Henley business school are like night and day! KCL has a small business school by comparison to Henley, but is the better for it. It is run by proper academics , at one of the three most prestigious Universities in the UK,Oxfored, Cambridge, and London. The only good thing about Reading/Henley is the rather green nice campus. Whilst Reading Uni have rerganised the Business School, it has a long way to go, the transition will be slow and painful. If you want to know about some of the schocking foul play by academics their private me and I will tell you all. I found this out as I made a freedom of information rewuest. I hope this helps!?

So you've done an MBA at Henley as well as your LLM at Bristol?
Reply 81
Original post by Carolus
What is it with you and the "Golden Triangle"? Overall Warwick is a better university than KCL. That's not to say KCL is necessarily bad, just that Warwick is better, regardless of whatever triangle KCL is a member of. I don't think he's jealous of not going to what is comfortably the least of the universities in the GT anyway, and only included because it's in London, especially since Warwick is one of the top universities in the UK.

That's simply wrong. 750,000 items does not a large library make. Cambridge has well over 8 million, Oxford at least as much. Warwick has 1.2 million, as does Reading. Note that all these figures are from the wiki you love so much. Before you make random claims, at least have some support for them. Do you have any support for your claim that it is the most expensive campus in London? Or that this makes it a good university?

For the OP: KCL probably has a marginally better overall undergrad reputation, however HBS is an actual business school, as well as being well known as such.

I meant in terms of size not in terms of books or journals. Cambridge is the largest in terms of material. Falls way short of Harvard but thats a different story. Warwick is better than KCL in most or maybe all of the UK rankings but KCL is better than Warwick in ALL of the World Rankings by a long long way.

Yes I have evidence of the Strand Campus being the most expensive in london. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_House. That alone beats most not mentioning the library in Chancery lane and the actual Strand and Kings building on the Strand next to Savoy hotel.

Warwick is a really good uni. It was one of my choices as well. It has a really good management Department but KCL has more international reputation than Warwick hands down. Maybe its due to the fact that its one of the oldest or simply that its in London. Could also be that KCL was really high up in the UK rankings back in the day. Now Warwick is near top half where as KCL is going down quite a bit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Can I just add my 2 cents and say that King's does not actually have a Business School ... this is where many students go wrong. The department is of Social Science and Public Policy, hence Management is treated like a Social Science, not a Business/Finance subject. The department is relatively new compared to many other universities, however expanding and building up its reputation. I also think that the International Marketing program has not been around for long either, although some of the professors involved teach at the undergrad level (i.e. have taught me) and are excellent. I cannot comment on King's v Reading as I have only been to King's but I advise you to read the syllabus (i.e. know what to expect in terms of modules, but I am pretty sure you would have already researched that as a postgrad especially) and understand that it is not a Business School, hence there is a slight difference. The employment prospects are also excellent at King's (of course a job won't knock on your door unless you apply for it) - in fact I hardly know any 2011 management graduates who do not have a grad scheme/grad job lined up (and all of those who do not, it is through their own fault, i.e. they are still floating as they don't know what they want to do). I cannot imagine the situation being very different for postgrads, although I am not omniscient so could be mistaken.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.
(edited 12 years ago)
:smile:I believe that Henley is very well regarded globally, as is Warwick and Imperial. I have never heard of King's College being cited in this context. So if your choice is between King's and Henley I would go for Henley.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
True, KCL does not have a Business department. So in short, if you want a dedicated business school that is Henley for you.
Why are you guys even arguing with a pillock whose studying at Harvard Summer School? The fact he's going to a summer school shows what a dimwit he is...
Reply 86
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Why are you guys even arguing with a pillock whose studying at Harvard Summer School? The fact he's going to a summer school shows what a dimwit he is...

You probably couldn't afford it you jealous tw*t.
Reply 87
Original post by HRH2
You probably couldn't afford it you jealous tw*t.

How much does it cost? Just curious - I had a look on their website but it was a bit ambiguous. Also, what's the selection process like?

These are sincere questions btw, I hope we can put our previous conversation behind us :colondollar:
Reply 88
Original post by therealOG
x

http://www.summer.harvard.edu/courses/econ.jsp

The details for all the Economic courses are on that page. You initially apply with a personal statement, something like a UCAS PS. Courses are highly selective so most of them have further tests or exams should they like your Personal Essay. My course had an Economic Proficiency exam.

In total it adds up to about £6000 pounds for those few weeks excluding travel and provided you live on campus. 4 credit courses are a grand cheaper. Here are the full details of that http://www.summer.harvard.edu/register/financial/
Reply 89
Original post by Carolus
What is it with you and the "Golden Triangle"? Overall Warwick is a better university than KCL. That's not to say KCL is necessarily bad, just that Warwick is better, regardless of whatever triangle KCL is a member of. I don't think he's jealous of not going to what is comfortably the least of the universities in the GT anyway, and only included because it's in London, especially since Warwick is one of the top universities in the UK.

That's simply wrong. 750,000 items does not a large library make. Cambridge has well over 8 million, Oxford at least as much. Warwick has 1.2 million, as does Reading. Note that all these figures are from the wiki you love so much. Before you make random claims, at least have some support for them. Do you have any support for your claim that it is the most expensive campus in London? Or that this makes it a good university?

For the OP: KCL probably has a marginally better overall undergrad reputation, however HBS is an actual business school, as well as being well known as such.

I agree on national scale that warwick is better univerites but on international scale Warwick doesn't perform as highly as KCL. Which if you look at all international tables it is shown.

However most people on tsr think they know best :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by violenti
Yeh the official "end" date was last October , and then I came here to do the LLM, just got dissertation to do now by October!:smile:

How have you funded all of this! A Henley MBA costs £33,000 +
Reply 91
Original post by HRH2
http://www.summer.harvard.edu/courses/econ.jsp

The details for all the Economic courses are on that page. You initially apply with a personal statement, something like a UCAS PS. Courses are highly selective so most of them have further tests or exams should they like your Personal Essay. My course had an Economic Proficiency exam.

In total it adds up to about £6000 pounds for those few weeks excluding travel and provided you live on campus. 4 credit courses are a grand cheaper. Here are the full details of that http://www.summer.harvard.edu/register/financial/

Ah cool, thanks. So was your Economic Proficiency exam online?
"Courses are highly selective" LMAO! Someone clearly fell for the marketing...
Reply 93
Ah cool, thanks. So was your Economic Proficiency exam online?

My course doesn't require a Proficiency test but since all summer school applicants are mostly undergraduate or postgraduate students from other universities, I had to take it to prove I knew the basics of Economics since my university hadn't started and I had just finished high school. The exam usually takes place at Emerson Hall in Cambridge (a place in Boston where Harvard is based). I don't think you could do it online.
Reply 94
"Courses are highly selective" LMAO! Someone clearly fell for the marketing...

Your name has the word Economist in it. I can understand why you are jealous about me doing an Economics course at Harvard since its the best in the world for that. And its not for dimwits. Its for undergraduates and postgraduates who want extra credits and skip years at university. It's an American thing. You won't understand. Another Wikipedia link on Harvard Summer School to educate you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Summer_School
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by HRH2
Your name has the word Economist in it. I can understand why you are jealous about me doing an Economics course at Harvard since its the best in the world for that. And its not for dimwits. Its for undergraduates and postgraduates who want extra credits and skip years at university. It's an American thing. You won't understand.

Wait, so the credits thing only applies to American uni's? So why are you doing it, especially because it's unrelated to your undergrad degree? For the experience?
Lol, you're not serious are you? You can't skip "years" of your undergraduate degree by taking some stupid summer school courses. You're honestly pretty darn thick.
Reply 97
Wait, so the credits thing only applies to American uni's? So why are you doing it, especially because it's unrelated to your undergrad degree? For the experience?

Being a Canadian, I initially planned to go to an American university, preferably an Ivy League as I had a really high SAT score (In the states, SATs are more important than high school scores). I ditched America for London at the last moment. One of the reasons being courses here are only 3 years and I also just liked London a lot in general.
Reply 98
Lol, you're not serious are you? You can't skip "years" of your undergraduate degree by taking some stupid summer school courses. You're honestly pretty darn thick.

In America you don't need to finish each year but acquire a certain amount of credits to graduate. Harvard Summer School gives you those credits you need (4 or 8). You know nothing about the American system so before calling me thick maybe you should read up on it.
Reply 99
Original post by HRH2
LSE, Warwick and Oxbridge are the best for Undergraduate Management.

True that

Bristol has launched a new management degree and it looks better than Warwick/LSE imho

Original post by HRH2
I'm on an exchange so I don't really care

So you lied :P

Original post by FinalMH
true.:laugh:

:s-smilie: what ur ex student

Yep

Original post by FinalMH
I agree on national scale that warwick is better univerites but on international scale Warwick doesn't perform as highly as KCL. Which if you look at all international tables it is shown.

However most people on tsr think they know best :smile:

Don't be stupid, this is what we all care about

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/indicator-rankings/employer-review

plus it's higher on social science rankings

But as much as I admit that the UK rankings are flawed, the int'l ones are even more so. So please no more rankings in any arguments, the mean nothing (except for such specific ones like above, which have more value)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending