Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: How did you find the first Hobbit film?
    Excellent
    55.90%
    Good
    31.00%
    Average
    6.55%
    Poor
    3.06%
    Awful
    3.49%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Welcome to The Hobbit Thread, where you can talk about all things related to the upcoming films.

Release Date: December 14, 2012 and December 13, 2013 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Peter Jackson
    Screenwriter: Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro
    Official Website: The Hobbit Blog
    Press Release: Here

Premise

The Hobbit follows the journey of Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was conquered by the dragon Smaug. Unexpectedly approached by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of 13 dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the wild; through treacherous lands swarming with goblins and orcs, deadly wargs and giant spiders, shapeshifters and sorcerers and ultimately Baggins's meeting with Gollum, where he gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring, the simple gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth.

Cast

Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
    Ian Holm as old Bilbo Baggins
    Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey
    Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
    Graham McTavish as Dwalin
    Ken Stott as Balin
    Aidan Turner as Kíli
    Dean O'Gorman as Fíli
    Mark Hadlow as Dori
    Jed Brophy as Nori
    Adam Brown as Ori
    John Callen as Óin
    Peter Hambleton as Glóin
    William Kircher as Bifur
    James Nesbitt as Bofur
    Stephen Hunter as Bombur
    Andy Serkis as Gollum
    Hugo Weaving as Elrond
    Benedict Cumberbatch as the voices of Smaug and the Necromancer
    Mikael Persbrandt as Beorn
    Lee Pace as Thranduil
    Stephen Fry as Master of Lake-town
    Luke Evans as Bard the Bowman
    Cate Blanchett as Galadriel
    Christopher Lee as Saruman the White
    Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown
    Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins
    Orlando Bloom as Legolas
    Evangeline Lilly as Tauriel
    Jeffrey Thomas as Thrór
    Mike Mizrahi as Thráin II
    Bret McKenzie as Lindir
    Ryan Gage as Alfrid
    Barry Humphries as the Great Goblin
    Conan Stevens as Azog

Photos

• 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a funny feeling Mr Fry would be in this movie
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for this!!
    Loved every page of the book, especially the pretty illustrations :moon:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So yeah as you may see above and below, the first proper images of the dwarves has been released (Dori, Nori and Ori). Thoughts? And thoughts on the earlier photos of Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Ian Mckellen as Gandalf?

• 163 followers

Howard Shore doing the soundtrack. :coma:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    This month's Empire magazine has quite a big spread on it with pictures.

I am sooo looking forwards to seeing it, not least because i adore Sherlock and both of the guys in that are wonderful, so it will be amazing seeing Martin F in this.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Found my old Radio 4 tape of the Hobbit the other day.
    Sat back and enjoyed. Such an immense story, I trust Jackson to portray the magic well.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmanottinghil)
    This month's Empire magazine has quite a big spread on it with pictures.

I am sooo looking forwards to seeing it, not least because i adore Sherlock and both of the guys in that are wonderful, so it will be amazing seeing Martin F in this.
    I love that they've got Benedict Cumberbatch involved (and obv Martin), been one of my favourite actors for a while now and has a great voice. Wondering how they're gonna portray The Necromancer though.

All inspired choices for casting, I can't think of any better people for most of the roles.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cannot wait for this film, kind of dissapointed its not coming out on the original release date, but Peter Jackson's health etc. is more important..
    Love the Lord of The Rings AND RICHARD ARMITAGE :dance: (although he'll be playing a dwarf in this film haha)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I read that as 'Morgan Freeman'!

Looks like it will be a good one!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm so excited about this.

The only concern I have is Evangeline Lily as 'Tauriel', this new character. I'm not a big fan of Evangeline Lily - I get that she looks quite elfen, but she's short (elves are very tall) and I'm not exactly convinced of her acting ability. I don't like the idea of creating a new female elf.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annora)
    I'm so excited about this.

The only concern I have is Evangeline Lily as 'Tauriel', this new character. I'm not a big fan of Evangeline Lily - I get that she looks quite elfen, but she's short (elves are very tall) and I'm not exactly convinced of her acting ability. I don't like the idea of creating a new female elf.
    Who is "Tauriel" going to be? Evangeline Lily was great in Lost, i think she can act and she's very striking.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmanottinghil)
    Who is "Tauriel" going to be?
    Don't really know. She's a Sylvan Elf. All we know is she is not romantically linked to Legolas (thank god!).

Evangeline Lily was great in Lost, i think she can act and she's very striking.
    She was fine in Lost, but can she be an elf? Can she do a convincing accent? Her height concerns me as well.

I can't help but think bad things when they start making up characters. I guess they wanted at least one female character - there are virtually no female characters in The Hobbit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well they did a pretty good job with the whole height issue in the LotR films so I doubt that will be a problem.

Making up characters does seem a bit odd. If she sucks we can just blame feminists. Or fap over her instead of paying attention to the character.

I might have to re-read The Hobbit before this comes out seeing as I read it when I was 7 or 8... About 15 years ago. ;p
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I expect it's not to do with "feminists" but ticket sales - astonishingly, many females like to pay to watch films and the only "blame" we need to apportion here would be the tendancy of male movie directors to assume that trite invented female characters are needed to get us to watch a movie based on a world-famous book that has, er, no females in it.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    yayy.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst we're on the subject, is Peter Jackson really the marvellously faithful transmitter of Tolkien into film that he is claimed to be? Is he trustworthy? Lord of the Rings was undeniably good, but it contained many wierd distortions of the original works that just seemed completely gratuitous and unnecessary. There were so many annoying differences and in nearly every case, simply using the book plotting would have been far more satisfying and "real".

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Movie_vs....or_Differences
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved the book.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I fear people are going to compare it too much to LOTR. People will be expecting massive, epic battles... but the Hobbit doesn't have them.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    :rofl: 5.25 minutes in. It's Sean from Eastenders!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 15, 2013
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.