Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: How did you find the first Hobbit film?
    Excellent
    55.90%
    Good
    31.00%
    Average
    6.55%
    Poor
    3.06%
    Awful
    3.49%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:

John Callen as Oin and Peter Hambleton as Gloin
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, not sure how I feel about the dwarves that've been released. He seems to have ditched Tolkien's cloak colour scheme and Oin there looks like he's a de-foreheaded klingon.

A large part of me loves them, but another large part of me feels they're not working with Tolkien's vision anymore and just using his book as a template.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really like these new Dwarves, they look great.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Dori (Mark Hadlow), Nori (Jed Brophy) and Ori (Adam Brown).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Aw creampie this movie is going to be good! :ahee:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh I'm too excited about this (and have been for several years! )
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annora)

Dori (Mark Hadlow), Nori (Jed Brophy) and Ori (Adam Brown).
    Already posted.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whoops..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ian McKellen is on ITV now.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Loved the book Love many of the actors ( Hugo weaving returning as Elrond ) film gun be awesome :d
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)

John Callen as Oin and Peter Hambleton as Gloin

Gloin as in Gimli son of gloin >? as in gimli from LOTR ? I presume
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not much given away but he did mention there's a lot more comedy in The Hobbit (listing all the comic actors), which I guess we sort of knew.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    Gloin as in Gimli son of gloin >? as in gimli from LOTR ? I presume
    Yep.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Part of me always preferred the Hobbit to LOTR - I dunno, it just seemed more detailed, and I got more into the story and the characters, wheras LOTR (epic as it was) was all about detailed battles. Don't get me wrong, I loved them all, but I prefer the Hobbit, possibly as I read it first? Very excited about the film! Not happy about Elijah Wood being in it - Frodo isn't mentioned in the book?

I can sort of understand Legolas being in it, as wasn't he the Prince of Mirkwood? Although he's not really necessary, but I suppose they want to capitalize on Orlando Bloom's popularity. Sigh. They had better take good care of the Necromancer scene - they weren't in the book, so what they make up needs to be decent. It feels like they're including it as people will go in to see the Hobbit and come out of it feeling a bit ripped off if there aren't enough "war" scenes. I know there's the Battle of the Five armies, but that's right at the end - wheras the Two Towers and Return of the King were pretty much stuffed full of epic fight scenes. And like others, I'm getting alarm bells about a female elf. At least she's not Legolas' love interest. I just hope Jackson doesn't make her into a Mary Sue - as long as she's developed properly, all shall be well. Very excited!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    FRY! Yay!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    Not happy about Elijah Wood being in it - Frodo isn't mentioned in the book?
    No, he wasn't born then. Frodo will be at the beginning and end of the films, I reckon, with older Bilbo (Ian Holm) finishing his book 'There and Back Again'. He won't appear in the actual events of the story.

"It's extremely close to the book," Wood, 30, told OnTheRedCarpet.com correspondent Jacob Burch. "In fact, it's actually a flashforward in time. Frodo is not alive around the time period of 'The Hobbit.' It's about 60 years before Frodo's birth, I think. So ultimately, myself and Ian Holm, who played Bilbo in 'The Lord of the Rings,' will have some scenes together that will precede the 'Hobbit' time."

"Bilbo actually wrote 'The Hobbit' in a book called 'There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale,' so I think there might be something to do with that book that he's writing," he said. "It's very much keeping the integrity. Frodo does not exist within the context of the time period of 'The Hobbit.'"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    Part of me always preferred the Hobbit to LOTR - I dunno, it just seemed more detailed, and I got more into the story and the characters, wheras LOTR (epic as it was) was all about detailed battles. Don't get me wrong, I loved them all, but I prefer the Hobbit, possibly as I read it first? Very excited about the film! Not happy about Elijah Wood being in it - Frodo isn't mentioned in the book?

I can sort of understand Legolas being in it, as wasn't he the Prince of Mirkwood? Although he's not really necessary, but I suppose they want to capitalize on Orlando Bloom's popularity. Sigh. They had better take good care of the Necromancer scene - they weren't in the book, so what they make up needs to be decent. It feels like they're including it as people will go in to see the Hobbit and come out of it feeling a bit ripped off if there aren't enough "war" scenes. I know there's the Battle of the Five armies, but that's right at the end - wheras the Two Towers and Return of the King were pretty much stuffed full of epic fight scenes. And like others, I'm getting alarm bells about a female elf. At least she's not Legolas' love interest. I just hope Jackson doesn't make her into a Mary Sue - as long as she's developed properly, all shall be well. Very excited!
    Elijah Wood's only in as a cameo. Ian Holm's in too. All they're doing is using it as a framing device to introduce the story.

It's logical that Legolas would be present, he is the King's son. It's only to be another small part. Remember The Hobbit was written before Legolas the character had been written, it stands to reason in the more fleshed out world of LotR he would have been around.

And equally there would have been female elves present. Just because none are explicitly mentioned doesn't mean they can't be included. It will again probably be a small role.

I understand people's worries but you can't just translate the events of a book onto the screen, it's not possible, and if it were what would be the point? They're adaptations. Directors have to take creative liberties for the sake of a movie, they're different mediums.

I trust Peter Jackson and his team after how they treated LotR. He's clearly not in it for the money, he's doing what he thinks works best for the sake of the films while staying as true as possible to the source material and doing a service to the fans.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Elijah Wood's only in as a cameo. Ian Holm's in too. All they're doing is using it as a framing device to introduce the story.

It's logical that Legolas would be present, he is the King's son. It's only to be another small part. Remember The Hobbit was written before Legolas the character had been written, it stands to reason in the more fleshed out world of LotR he would have been around.

And equally there would have been female elves present. Just because none are explicitly mentioned doesn't mean they can't be included. It will again probably be a small role.

I understand people's worries but you can't just translate the events of a book onto the screen, it's not possible, and if it were what would be the point? They're adaptations. Directors have to take creative liberties for the sake of a movie, they're different mediums.

I trust Peter Jackson and his team after how they treated LotR. He's clearly not in it for the money, he's doing what he thinks works best for the sake of the films while staying as true as possible to the source material and doing a service to the fans.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the film, I enjoyed LOTR tremendously and I trust Peter Jackson to do a great job. I was just confused about suddnely hearing Legolas and Frodo being in it, and scenes being added and characters created. Like I said; as long as they're as well devloped as LOTR, I haven't got a problem with it.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Jackson will stay true to the Elves as portrayed in The Hobbit or how they are portrayed in The Lord of the Rings.

It's just as logical that Legolas was nowhere around when the company enters Mirkwood or the king's dungeons. Tolkien rewrote parts of The Hobbit after writing Lord of the Rings, so he could've easily included Legolas if he wanted to, which he didn't.

As for females, whilst I understand modern society's rather neurotic need to avoid insulting anyone, that doesn't mean they have to mess about with a story. The story is loved the world over for what it is, why change a formula that works? So what if there are no females in the book, no one really seems to give a ****. Thus, why add one into the movie?

I don't. I trust him to make a good movie, but I don't trust him to stay as true as possible to the source material or do a service to the fans. He's already have Bilbo stay awake for the Battle of the Five Armies. He was notoriously bad in The Return of the King for his messing about with the source material and he often put his own interpretations of the material in as if it were official.

I understand the mediums are different and certain things have to been done different. Pushing your own interpretations of the material and altering it/adding to it/taking away from it does not fall under that, however.

If he weren't doing this just for the money, he wouldn't feel the need to separate the book into two movies. All in all, I am utterly on the fence about this movie, leaning towards the nervous side, and nothing I've seen or heard so far has really made me sway from there.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    https://www.facebook.com/video/video...81557&comments

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 15, 2013
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.