The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Doing an OU course during A-Levels

Sorry if it has already been asked but do you think it will to too much hard work to study a OU course in human biology (30 credits) alongside my A-levels or should I not bother?

(BTW, I'm planning on taking it because im interested in the human body and hope it will give me an edge on my Uni application)

Also, if I'm 17 and my parents have a lowish income, am I eligible for assistance with fees?
Reply 1
I don't see why it would be a bad thing as long as you're confident you could manage the work load. It will look impressive on your Uni applications, but if you somehow didn't manage to reach predicted grades etc and they see that on your application, they will undoubtedly assume it was because of the extra studying, so in that way it would be wiser to just concentrate on your a levels and get the best grades you can.

But if you really want to do it, then go for it. It's great that you're making an extra effort and Unis will see that.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get financial support seeing as you're a full time student, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I think you also have to be over 18 to study with the Open University.

BUT I also have a feeling that if your parents were willing to pay the money for you, or you were able to pay somehow, and you talked it all through maturely with your parents and then got in contact with OU, they might consider you doing the course in special circumstances.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'm doing the YASS course thingmy (Young Applicants in Schools Scheme that lets sixthformers try out uni courses onine). I'm doing a small English Lit module in Shakespeare in October instead of doing the whole Extended Project Thing. My teacher said it will look better on the form etc. but I'm doing it mainly for the challenge of independent study.
Reply 3
The Open University run YASS courses which are supposed to be studied alongside A Levels and are at a similar level to units you would study in your first year at university.

Our school is paying the cost (around £200 per course) but we have to pay if we don't complete it. Maybe your school would subsidise it?

Our teachers said it would be best to study those which are worth 10 to 15 points as these will not need a vast amount of time to complete.

Edit: Sorry almost identical to post above!
Reply 4
Original post by Natalie21
Our school is paying the cost (around £200 per course) but we have to pay if we don't complete it. Maybe your school would subsidise it?

I believe the government pays for the YASS thing actually. I just had to pay a deposit that I get given back when I complete the course.

Err why the neg rep...? I was only stating how the system works....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Gromit94
I believe the government pays for the YASS thing actually. I just had to pay a deposit that I get given back when I complete the course.

We have to pay no deposit but if we do not complete it we have to pay for the course.
Reply 6
ooh sounds harsh, they're really expensive!!
Reply 7
ooh sounds harsh, they're really expensive!!

Its not harsh, if people don't bother to put the effort in why should the school pay out?
Reply 8
not completing it does not necessarily mean not putting effort into it.
Original post by questionandanswer
Sorry if it has already been asked but do you think it will to too much hard work to study a OU course in human biology (30 credits) alongside my A-levels or should I not bother?

(BTW, I'm planning on taking it because im interested in the human body and hope it will give me an edge on my Uni application)

Also, if I'm 17 and my parents have a lowish income, am I eligible for assistance with fees?

I'd wait until you have finished your A levels before embarking on an Open University course. People seem to have this notion that OU courses are 'easy'. I'm doing OU myself and I can assure you that they are just as rigorous as any other Uni course out there.

Regarding tutition fees, if you are over 18. have a personal income of under £30,000 a year and it is your first Open University undergraduate course, then you are eligible for up to three years of funding from the OU's own finance scheme. There is no student loan to pay back because the funding comes in the form of a grant. Depending upon your income, you are eligible for some or all of your fees to be paid.

You can't however, apply for a maintainance loan in addition to your grant.
This is exactly what I do.
This year I've been taking four AS levels and an OU course in programming.

You can ask for extensions - I have done as I had a massive TMA due in the middle of the exam period and the tutors are good with extensions.

To get permission if you are under 18 you have to get your head of 6th form to write a letter saying they give consent and it has to be an official headed letter.
To work out exactly how much funding you are entitled to use this link

http://css2.open.ac.uk/fafcalculator/eligibility.aspx
not completing it does not necessarily mean not putting effort into it.

If you fail, then the school will accept that as long as you put time and effort in.

Whereas if you do not meet the deadlines due to laziness/ no effort etc. then the school makes you pay.

I don't think this is unfair tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest