The Student Room Group

UCL or KCL?

Hey Guys, I posted in the welcome lounge but here seems more appropriate. So basically my problem is this (please help if you can!):

I've been accepted into both the UCL MA Human Rights programme at The School of Public Policy and KCL'S MA International Relations at The War Studies Dept. And I can't chose which one to accept.

UCL is the hands down better university whilst KCL has a phenomenal dept in War Studies.

Both programmes seem excellent, the HRs option is multidisciplinary but I can't say I'm particularly thrilled to have to study law (coming from a Politics/IR background) but the optional modules offered are very appealing. IR is obviously a much broader subject but the optional modules seem rather limited.

My aim is to go on to do a PhD and then seek experience in the NGO/non-profit sector. Does anyone know which dept is better set up for PhDs ie, staff that are willing to take on PhD candidates, broad areas of research etc?

If you can help, holler!
Reply 1
Choose the better program over the better university. If KCL's War Studies dept is more in line with your plans you should go for it.
Reply 2
LSE
Reply 3
Both departments will be well set up to take on PhD candidates, it's not like you're talking about the difference between Good University, London and Who Cares College, Nowhereville. Maybe go though the staff profiles of each department and identify some people you would like to work with.

Keep in mind, also, that there's absolutely no reason that you can't switch after you master's.

As for which one you should choose - they're both good unis that are well respected, so choose the course with the content that you think suits where you want to go best.

Also, if you're the league table kind of person, forget them - they really should be relabeled as 'Undergraduate League Tables'. For postgrad RAE scores are much more valid indicators.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Ellim-a few of my friends have had a lot of trouble trying to find tutors willing to supervise their PhDs and I wanted to stay at the same university if possible, so I don't have to send research proposal after research proposal to disinterested professors!

I guess I'm edging towards KCL. Anyone studied there?
If your planning to apply for funding for your PhD, it will be a lot easier if you do an MA which has a significant research methods component to it…. In fact many funding bodies (I.e. ESRC) insist upon it. Even if you don’t need funding it will make your PhD much easier as you won’t have to take loads of taught causes in your first year….. So although research methods can be a bit dull my advice would be to take the cause with the most research training.
Don’t know much about Kings but I did my PhD at UCL and it was a fantastic place to study and a very supportive environment with lots of opportunity to gain additional experience which is vital in getting a post-doc position or any post PhD employment

If you want to know anything else about UCL let me know…..

Tom
Reply 6
Thank Tom, advice is much appreciated. UCL's MA has an ESRC recognised course as one of its compulsory modules which is good but I thought most PhDs include a year (MPhil) where you exclusively study methodology and social science theory? I have a few friends that got into PhDs after doing taught Master's. By the sounds of it UCL seems pretty well set up!
Original post by Eriberry
Thank Tom, advice is much appreciated. UCL's MA has an ESRC recognised course as one of its compulsory modules which is good but I thought most PhDs include a year (MPhil) where you exclusively study methodology and social science theory? I have a few friends that got into PhDs after doing taught Master's. By the sounds of it UCL seems pretty well set up!

Not so with the PhDs. The ESRC qualifying Masters is important. If you Master's degree does not contain enough 'qualifying' research skills component, then you will not qualify for ESRC funding. Taught Master's degrees might not contain sufficient compulsory research methods. You can still go on and do a PhD, but you won't get ESRC funding. PhDs might also contain research training, they often do, but that is too late for the ESRC.

Note of caution - this was how it was when I did my Master's PhD transition in 2005 - things might have changed since then.
Reply 8
It's getting confusing ya'll! Right so, as long as I have done enough research based modules, I can qualify for funding. Am I right in assuming that I can take these modules independently of my Master's? How about studentships and bursaries, are they qualifying modules dependent too?
Reply 9
In this subject LSE is first priority but as the fight is between ucl & kcl so answer is UCL
It's getting confusing ya'll! Right so, as long as I have done enough research based modules, I can qualify for funding. Am I right in assuming that I can take these modules independently of my Master's? How about studentships and bursaries, are they qualifying modules dependent too?

If your MA has ESRC regognised reserch training then you will be fine, i don't think you can take the modules independently. Ask the course tutor if the MA is ESRC recognised. if not i'd recomend finding a programme that is.....

T
Reply 11
I went to visit UCL today and I must say it's a bit of a dump...KCL all the way for me!! :P

The course content of the Masters has to be approved by the ESRC, you can't just mix and match 'enough' modules. You'd have to look at the specific scholarship or bursary details, but no, they aren't likely to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending