The Student Room Group

Physics question.

Hey guys,
I'm doing ALevel Physics next year and I just casually started flicking through the book. There was a section on the "Principle of Moment" and i found i quite straightforward so i tried the questions I was doing fine till I got to this question:

Q)
A metre rule, pivoted at it's centre of mass, supports a weight of 3 N at its 5cm mark, a 2 N weight at its 25cm mark and a weight W at is 80cm mark.
Calculate the weight W!

I tried like a million times but i keep getting the wrong answers im so freaking frustrated :angry: Can anyone help please ?

N.B.: I know it might be easy for some of you people but please don't start with your arrogant comments (yes moaning about the easiness of ALevels or GCSEs counts aswell)!
Reply 1
I assume that the rod is in equilibrium?
First calculate all of the anticlockwise moments (i.e. the weights to the left of the pivot)
Here we have 3N which is 45cm from the pivot and 2N which is 25cm from the pivot.
The total anticlockwise moment is the sum of the two products.

Then the clockwise moments are WN 30cm from the pivot.

Now because the rod is in equilibrium the sum of all of the moments is zero. In other words, total anticlockwise moment = total clockwise moment. Using that you can rearrange for W.

If you haven't got this in mind already, ALWAYS draw a diagram for mechanics questions.
Reply 2
Original post by Manitude
I assume that the rod is in equilibrium?
First calculate all of the anticlockwise moments (i.e. the weights to the left of the pivot)
Here we have 3N which is 45cm from the pivot and 2N which is 25cm from the pivot.
The total anticlockwise moment is the sum of the two products.

Then the clockwise moments are WN 30cm from the pivot.

Now because the rod is in equilibrium the sum of all of the moments is zero. In other words, total anticlockwise moment = total clockwise moment. Using that you can rearrange for W.

If you haven't got this in mind already, ALWAYS draw a diagram for mechanics questions.

Thanks you very much :smile: But I'm abit stupid and don't really understand how you worked out the relative distance from the Pivot ?:s :colondollar: Can you please explain that?
Reply 3
Original post by Theworriedone
Thanks you very much :smile: But I'm abit stupid and don't really understand how you worked out the relative distance from the Pivot ?:s :colondollar: Can you please explain that?

It's a metre rule (says in the question) and it says it hung from the centre of mass (for a uniform rod, this is the centre of the rod - it doesn't say it's a non-uniform rod, so we assume it is uniform)
The centre of a metre rule is at the 50cm mark, so that's where the pivot is, then you work out how far away 5cm, 25cm and 80cm are from the 50cm point.

If you draw a diagram, everything becomes so much simpler!
Reply 4
It's a metre rule (says in the question) and it says it hung from the centre of mass (for a uniform rod, this is the centre of the rod - it doesn't say it's a non-uniform rod, so we assume it is uniform)
The centre of a metre rule is at the 50cm mark, so that's where the pivot is, then you work out how far away 5cm, 25cm and 80cm are from the 50cm point.

If you draw a diagram, everything becomes so much simpler!

I did draw a diagram but I just didn't really know what a metre rule was:colondollar: I thought it's just like a ruler and I did at some point ask myself if i need to know how long the thing was :biggrin: Why do always mess up at stupid little things like that.

P.S: I've got abit of language problem cause i havent been in the UK that long that's why i didn't know what a metre rule is..still common sense but I dont know:s:)
Reply 5
I did draw a diagram but I just didn't really know what a metre rule was:colondollar: I thought it's just like a ruler and I did at some point ask myself if i need to know how long the thing was :biggrin: Why do always mess up at stupid little things like that.

P.S: I've got abit of language problem cause i havent been in the UK that long that's why i didn't know what a metre rule is..still common sense but I dont know:s:)

Ah ok!
I did a quick diagram to show you the sort of thing that you might want to do.
But it's better to do it in pencil, don't do it with a Sharpie like I did:
Reply 6
Ah ok!

Thanks so much for all the helping I appreciate that....if only my teachers were that helpful:') Are you doing ALevel Physics ? If you do is it really as hard as everyone keeps telling me?:s
Reply 7
Thanks so much for all the helping I appreciate that....if only my teachers were that helpful:') Are you doing ALevel Physics ? If you do is it really as hard as everyone keeps telling me?:s

No problem :smile:
I've just finished my first year at university doing physics.
It's only hard if you make it hard by not working!
If you are comfortable with maths then it's considerably easier though.
Reply 8
Ah ok!

Skills! :top: :smile:

WRT 'hardness' of the A level - seems to come more naturally to some people than others
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
Skills! :top: :smile:

WRT 'hardness' of the A level - seems to come more naturally to some people than others

This is true, but I think anyone can succeed if they put the effort in, and get good answers to any questions they ask. Asking questions is a step in the right direction, but getting a good answer that you actually understand is not something everybody gets at A level.

And thanks :colondollar:
Reply 10
Ah ok!

Draw out like this, but the weight at 25cm is 2N not 25N. Accept the fact that the sum of the anti-clockwise moments about the pivot (at 50 cm) = the sum of the clockwise moments about the pivot.

Thus: 0.3m*W = 0.25m*2N + 0.48m*5N. Some mental arithmetic gives me 29/3. However, it's pretty late so don't take my word for it!
Reply 11
Original post by wig44
Draw out like this, but the weight at 25cm is 2N not 25N. Accept the fact that the sum of the anti-clockwise moments about the pivot (at 50 cm) = the sum of the clockwise moments about the pivot.

Thus: 0.3m*W = 0.25m*2N + 0.48m*5N. Some mental arithmetic gives me 29/3. However, it's pretty late so don't take my word for it!

Oh yeah! Sorry, my bad - I guess I wrote the 2 and had "25" on my mind!
Reply 12
Oh yeah! Sorry, my bad - I guess I wrote the 2 and had "25" on my mind!

Everyone makes mistakes :P
Original post by wig44

Nope you've done something wrong cause I got the answers in my book and manitude had the right answer(6.2N):smile: Thanks though :smile: And @manitude I guess im good at maths i just keep making those stupid little mistakes whenever I do any question....but not only maths. Guess im gonna have to check myslef for dyslexia or something :s
What exactly did you think a metre rule was?
Original post by dulcificum
What exactly did you think a metre rule was?

A ruler? But the metre should have told me something...but oh well:smile: Don't try taking the mick now please it's late and I wont find it funny.
Reply 16
Original post by wig44
Everyone makes mistakes :P

Especially after midnight. I'm trying to do some matrices notes and I'm terrified that going to write an example out wrong and completely confuse the future me in a few months when I go over it in lectures!
Reply 17
Nope you've done something wrong cause I got the answers in my book and manitude had the right answer(6.2N):smile: Thanks though :smile: And @manitude I guess im good at maths i just keep making those stupid little mistakes whenever I do any question....but not only maths. Guess im gonna have to check myslef for dyslexia or something :s

Oops. I just realised I mixed a few of the weights up! Luckily I didn't make these silly mistakes in the actual exams but as manitude and I have proven, these little mistakes can crop up alot if you aren't paying attention :P

0.3W = 0.45*3 + 0.25*2
W = 6.166

Simple mistakes damnit...
Good luck with your physics preparation

@Manitude: Just look at what I did to this simple moments question, how ironic!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest