The Student Room Group

Stuck for the last two choices..

I'm looking to study medicine at one of the top uni's like UCL, oxbridge etc..
I want to study, chemistry, biology... and thats where i get lost.
I'm definite on those two, and am considering maths, art, history and psychology.

I'm a pretty decent all rounder but strongest in essay subjects like history english etc, i know maths is looked upon kindly by universities and will hopefully achieve atleast a A in maths at GCSE. What would be the best thing to do? I should achieve all A's and stars in english, history, geography sciences.

My last choice is the hardest for me, as i do not want another totally heavy subject which i will have to wrestle with like maths or chemistry. Is art a good idea to take? i know it does not tie in but I have a solid A from gcse so it is more just the workload taken on.

To top it all off.. i like the idea of medicine but have been told i am capable to going into most areas e.g. advertising, business, architecture law so am still open to going into those areas of work. Any advice is much appreciated thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Maths and History.

History, shows that you're A-Level essay literate.
Maths, for vanity merit (id est, being better than the other candidates with silly choices).

If you want to be fairly solid (oxbridge solid), take Art as a fifth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ZuluShark
I'm looking to study medicine at one of the top uni's like UCL, oxbridge etc..
I want to study, chemistry, biology... and thats where i get lost.
I'm definite on those two, and am considering maths, art, history and psychology.

I'm a pretty decent all rounder but strongest in essay subjects like history english etc, i know maths is looked upon kindly by universities and will hopefully achieve atleast a A at GCSE. What would be the best thing to do?

My last choice is the hardest for me, as i do not want another totally heavy subject which i will have to wrestle with like maths or chemistry. Is art a good idea to take? i know it does not tie in but I have a solid A from gcse so it is more just the workload taken on.

To top it all off.. i like the idea of medicine but have been told i am capable to going into most areas e.g. advertising, business, architecture law. Any advice is much appreciated thanks :smile:

Looks like we've got a comedian in the house!
Reply 3
You really need to be sure that you'll achieve more than just one A at GCSE if you're thinking of applying to those Unis... Especially for medicine.

Maths is not just looked upon kindly by universities, it is a highly-regarded subject, maybe even the most highly regarded "hard subject." For medicine, it's a given that you'll have Math, if not Further maths, with A/A* at A level, not GCSE.

I don't suggest you do Art. Maybe History or a Foreign Language, that would seem "better."
Reply 4
Agree. Maths and History
Art is way too hard, even for people who have been practising art for years. Lot of work. And because it's out of the field you want to study, you may not give so much pressure on Art and get a bad grade.
Reply 5
maths and history

looks like a full house from everyone here
Reply 6
hmmm, thanks for the advice its definitely helped. My only problem is that the history course looks dead boring, i'm sure i will be able to do it. I got 50/50 in controlled assessment so that gave me a lot of confidence but do i really wanna learn about the liberal reforms and other social events in the 1800's? :| I also have to take into mind that i will be dropping a subject, i was thinking of maths as it would get very hard and most probably beyond my level of thinking. Any thoughts or experience?
Original post by miniteen
You really need to be sure that you'll achieve more than just one A at GCSE if you're thinking of applying to those Unis... Especially for medicine.

Maths is not just looked upon kindly by universities, it is a highly-regarded subject, maybe even the most highly regarded "hard subject." For medicine, it's a given that you'll have Math, if not Further maths, with A/A* at A level, not GCSE.

I don't suggest you do Art. Maybe History or a Foreign Language, that would seem "better."

This is completely wrong. You don't need maths for medicine.

Also, the OP didn't say he was going to get 1 A at GSCE, he said all As and A*s.

Quick Reply

Latest