The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Is Birmingham City University a good University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Let's bear in mind that there are several faculties within Birmingham City University, and there are several campuses. The negative feedback of one or two people from different campuses does not reflect the standards across the entire university.

I can certainly say, in terms of BCU's Faculty of Health, that I've had nothing but positive experiences. As a current student at BCU - formerly a nursing student, turned radiography student (transfer was my personal choice, nothing to do with the course) - I find the campus is brilliant, my course is very well structured, the tutors are very approachable and the content both enjoyable and intellectually stimulating. I for one am proud to be a BCU student, and resident of Birmingham City, I've lived here all my life and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

If you want to know what Birmingham and BCU is like, come see for yourself. Don't just take the word of someone else, go to an open day and check it out.
(edited 8 years ago)
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by moonkatt
BCU doesn't run courses in culinary skills or anything like that. You're thinking of the old college of food which is now called UCB. Completely different establishment.

Of course I am !

Why do all the unis in brum have such similar naes :'(
Original post by redferry
Of course I am !

Why do all the unis in brum have such similar naes :'(

Uob
Bcu
Ucb
Aston
Newman

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by mike_mike
I had thoughts of going there before but after some research and some discussion with current students..BCU is a no-no :smile:

Why ? What are the students saying about BCU?
I am curenting considering going to this University or to Nottingham trent University to study psychology with criminology. As i am an international student i was not able to come to an open day
Original post by AlexA12
Why ? What are the students saying about BCU?
I am curenting considering going to this University or to Nottingham trent University to study psychology with criminology. As i am an international student i was not able to come to an open day

Go to bcu criminology is one of the subjects they are best at.
One of their lecturers is a really famous criminologist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by paul514
Go to bcu criminology is one of the subjects they are best at.
One of their lecturers is a really famous criminologist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I heard that they have a famous criminologist but do you know anything about the psychology deparmant? And can you tell me a little about the staff there?
Original post by AlexA12
I heard that they have a famous criminologist but do you know anything about the psychology deparmant? And can you tell me a little about the staff there?

I go to Aston University

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
BCU is a decent university, it's categorised with Nottingham Trent, Hertfordshire, DMU and so on. There are much lower ranked unvierities out there such as Greenwich, Westminster, Middlesex and UCB etc.

Not much to worry about at the end of the day as the universities that really stand out are the Russell groups. Other than that, go to the university that has the best modules for your course.
Reply 48
Here's my input:

I'm a second year Computer Games Technology student for reference, we share similar modules to Computer Science such as Data Analysis etc, though our course is more programming focused and as the name entails, towards games development.

BCU itself is a fantastic uni, the issue tends to be is if students are having issues they tend to openly complain about it to everyone but the module leader. They seem more focused on complaining about the issue than actually facing it, but that's just my opinion.

In my first year I:
- Learnt the skills to publish 2 games (one to Steam)
- Got approved as a Microsoft app developer (comes with a free windows phone may I add!)
- Won a 48 hour Game Jam (A game-focused international hackathon for game development)
- Received a scholarship to study in South Korea for a month (read more here: www.liamsorta.co.uk/a-summer-in-seoul/)

I could list more but the point I'm trying to make is your time at university is what you make of it. BCU provides great opportunities, a wealth of facilities and a supportive faculty.
Now is an even better time than ever as a Computing student actually, we're due to launch our first official Hackathon later this month which has been sponsored by Microsoft.
On top of that we have a flourishing Computing society with weekly talks and challenges that offer a great chance to expand your technical knowledge and even give you some pointers on potential employment.

If anyone has any questions feel free to drop me a line, either on here or via LinkedIn:
(edited 8 years ago)
Birmingham City University withdraw my application. Why would they do that?
Birmingham City University withdraw my application. Why would they do that? please help
What's the question in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
What's the question in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically I received an email from UCAS informing that there's been an change towards my application. Once I logged in I came to find out that Birmingham City University withdrawal my application to study computer science. Right now am really confused to why they would do that.
Original post by Learning97
Basically I received an email from UCAS informing that there's been an change towards my application. Once I logged in I came to find out that Birmingham City University withdrawal my application to study computer science. Right now am really confused to why they would do that.

Call the admissions tutor for the course it will be on their website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
I know this post was quite a while ago but it is relevant to me. I am going to study radiography in September hopefully and I have recently had an offer from BCU. When I went on the interview (at the South campus) I was impressed with the facilities, but found that there was nothing to do outside of the university.
Is the accommodation near the main city or is it/near Hemel Hempstead? What I'm asking is if it is easy and quick to get to the main city because the campus seemed rather isolated with little to do.
Thanks.

Original post by MrJay
Let's bear in mind that there are several faculties within Birmingham City University, and there are several campuses. The negative feedback of one or two people from different campuses does not reflect the standards across the entire university.

I can certainly say, in terms of BCU's Faculty of Health, that I've had nothing but positive experiences. As a current student at BCU - formerly a nursing student, turned radiography student (transfer was my personal choice, nothing to do with the course) - I find the campus is brilliant, my course is very well structured, the tutors are very approachable and the content both enjoyable and intellectually stimulating. I for one am proud to be a BCU student, and resident of Birmingham City, I've lived here all my life and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

If you want to know what Birmingham and BCU is like, come see for yourself. Don't just take the word of someone else, go to an open day and check it out.
Original post by jono_x98
I know this post was quite a while ago but it is relevant to me. I am going to study radiography in September hopefully and I have recently had an offer from BCU. When I went on the interview (at the South campus) I was impressed with the facilities, but found that there was nothing to do outside of the university.
Is the accommodation near the main city or is it/near Hemel Hempstead? What I'm asking is if it is easy and quick to get to the main city because the campus seemed rather isolated with little to do.
Thanks.

One of my friends studies radiography at BCU. She was in city south accommodation (Westmount Hall) in her first year and now has a student house - this is pretty typical for the health related courses at the city south campus :smile: you can choose accommodation in the city centre but bear in mind the cost of transport to uni. With regards of stuff to do, it's not far from the city centre, it's walkable when you're not in a rush and about 15 mins on the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Call them and say they have it wrong, they'll change it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this post was quite a while ago but it is relevant to me. I am going to study radiography in September hopefully and I have recently had an offer from BCU.
Thanks.

I have an interview for diagnostic radiography on Thursday and I wanna know how the interview is like and what kinda questions they ask. I also received an email basically inviting me to the interview and they said I'm gonna do a written assessed radiography activity, what exactly does that involve? I'm so nervous though ...
Reply 59
Thanks.

Yes, the City Centre is very easy to get to from campus. You can either take a 20-30 minute walk into the City or take a 10 minute walk to the nearest train station where you can get to the City Centre in minutes.

I know the campus seems isolated, but once you know your way around the city you'll soon find there is plenty to do and it's not that far away.

Good luck with your studies. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending