The Student Room Group

M.A admission requirement ( 2:1 essential)?

I heard that in UK universities without having 2:1 (upper second class) in undergraduate no one can get admission into Masters. Is it true? or some university allow lower second class for masters?
Have you heard of google?
It's possible without (see the sig) :yes:
Reply 3
Have a look at different unis which offer your course; you'll more than likely find some that accept a 2.2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It's possible without (see the sig) :yes:

Be honest, if your 2:2 wasn't from Oxbridge would you have got onto that masters?
Original post by fexysucker
Be honest, if your 2:2 wasn't from Oxbridge would you have got onto that masters?

If I'd had strong referees, I'm sure I could have still managed it :yes:
Not all programmes ask for it, but some ask for a 2.2 in a related subject and 2.1 if your first degree isn't related.
Reply 7
Original post by Riba_Info

Original post by Riba_Info
I heard that in UK universities without having 2:1 (upper second class) in undergraduate no one can get admission into Masters. Is it true? or some university allow lower second class for masters?

Russell Group universities normally ask for a 2.1 in their more popular (and respected) courses, but there are always exceptions. Outside of Russel Group, you most definitely can get admitted with a 2:2.
Reply 8
You could potentially get into a higher ranked university even with a 2:2. (killer personal statement, how far off you were from a 2:1, work experience...) It can't hurt to try your luck.
Reply 9
Hello,

Im doing PPE in warwick and is going to final year this October. Is it possible to apply masters in top 10 unis with lower 2:2 second year result? What courses would you recommend?

Thank you
Reply 10
They will be interested in your predicted final result but with a lower 2:2 the chances of a 1st are looking slim although a 2:1 is still a real possibility.

The higher the reputation of the uni the less likely they are to take postgrads with mediocre results as they have more applicants to choose from. You might have to be more flexible in your choices than just top 10 unis if you want a place.
Reply 11
When I was applying for my MA, I had a couple of unis tell me that the offer was min 2:1 but that if I only got a 2:2 I'd still probably get a place. Having said that, there was nobody on my MA course with less than a 2:1.
Reply 12
Original post by kendrawang
Hello,

Im doing PPE in warwick and is going to final year this October. Is it possible to apply masters in top 10 unis with lower 2:2 second year result? What courses would you recommend?

Thank you

Hmm, if you're doing PPE, I'm guessing that the courses you'd be interested in will be highly popular courses at LSE and the like, so a low 2.2 on your most recent transcripts will probably harm your chances by quite a bit.:erm: Obviously it's your decision and you have nothing to lose except the application fee, but unless the low 2.2 is due to one badly messed-up module which is wholly uncharacteristic and can be explained by one of your referees, it might be wiser to wait until you've finished and made up for it all in your final year.
Reply 13
Original post by hobnob

Original post by hobnob
Hmm, if you're doing PPE, I'm guessing that the courses you'd be interested in will be highly popular courses at LSE and the like, so a low 2.2 on your most recent transcripts will probably harm your chances by quite a bit.:erm: Obviously it's your decision and you have nothing to lose except the application fee, but unless the low 2.2 is due to one badly messed-up module which is wholly uncharacteristic and can be explained by one of your referees, it might be wiser to wait until you've finished and made up for it all in your final year.

Thank you. Im thinking about project management in Warwick and UCL since I know people got in with 2:2. But I want to try Imperial business school's management course. Don't know if I have a chance.
Reply 14
Yes you can get on to an MA with a 2.2, however, as stated, you need some strong referances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending