The Student Room Group

Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
JackieS
yeah we have to model for others too....................how you finding the 2nd year? what departments have you been on placement? We don't go out till the 2nd year on proper placements but we get a half day one shadowing a 3rd year which I have in 2 weeks - elderly care - how fun :wink:

2nd year is good, allot of hard work tho!! The module I'm having my exams on at the moment is the biggest we do and contains all our treatment methods for MSK,Neuro and CVR. Our course is structured so that in 1st year you learn all your anatomy and then how to assess patients and then in 2nd year pretty much all the treatment with 3rd year being all placements and our dissertation.

So far I've done a placement in Sports Injuries (it was basically just like outpatients) did that right at the end of 1st year and absolutely loved it! It wasn't a marked placement, just one to give us a feel for the job.

On 23rd I start my 1st marked placement!!! Bit scary! It's Neuro Rehab, and neuro is definately my worst area but hopefully I'll learn a fair bit and won't be quite so daunted by it in future.
Reply 41
JackieS
ohhhhh good luck - I loved nottingham!

Thanks Jackie!

It went a lot better than Birmingham's; the people were great and the place was really nice. I feel quite encouraged, whereas I left Birmingham positive I'd be rejected...which I was!

Still, Notts is up there as first choice! :smile:
Reply 42
Felicity9
Thanks Jackie!

It went a lot better than Birmingham's; the people were great and the place was really nice. I feel quite encouraged, whereas I left Birmingham positive I'd be rejected...which I was!

Still, Notts is up there as first choice! :smile:

*fingers crossed!*

--------------

rugby_gal
2nd year is good, allot of hard work tho!! The module I'm having my exams on at the moment is the biggest we do and contains all our treatment methods for MSK,Neuro and CVR. Our course is structured so that in 1st year you learn all your anatomy and then how to assess patients and then in 2nd year pretty much all the treatment with 3rd year being all placements and our dissertation.

So far I've done a placement in Sports Injuries (it was basically just like outpatients) did that right at the end of 1st year and absolutely loved it! It wasn't a marked placement, just one to give us a feel for the job.

On 23rd I start my 1st marked placement!!! Bit scary! It's Neuro Rehab, and neuro is definately my worst area but hopefully I'll learn a fair bit and won't be quite so daunted by it in future.

yeah neuro is scary - so many long words and too many little fiddly little things to learn! Not enjoying it at all!
Reply 43
i know i should be posting this is the "physio applicant 2006" thread but its a bit far down so wasn't sure if anyone would see it. just got an offer from leeds met, with the conditions :
"This offer is subject to your obtaining A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff points 200 points must be obtained from 6- or 12-unit awards including Grades BB including 1 science subject . "
i'm doing alevels in biology chemistry and psychology does this mean that i have to obtain a B in either biology and chemistry (which is what i'm sure it means ) or a B in both biology and chemsitry? I'm feeling a bit paranaoid and only double checking on here because i'm more likely to get a B in chemistry than in biology so i need an insurance place that will take me on with a B in chem if you see what i mean.... also i'm trying to decide whether to go to my sheff hallam interview ( as they are the only other uni offering a B in bio or chem) if i've already got an offer from leeds met which could be my insurance.
( sorry for the long post just a bit confused)
Reply 44
embrace
i know i should be posting this is the "physio applicant 2006" thread but its a bit far down so wasn't sure if anyone would see it. just got an offer from leeds met, with the conditions :
"This offer is subject to your obtaining A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff points 200 points must be obtained from 6- or 12-unit awards including Grades BB including 1 science subject . "
i'm doing alevels in biology chemistry and psychology does this mean that i have to obtain a B in either biology and chemistry (which is what i'm sure it means ) or a B in both biology and chemsitry? I'm feeling a bit paranaoid and only double checking on here because i'm more likely to get a B in chemistry than in biology so i need an insurance place that will take me on with a B in chem if you see what i mean.... also i'm trying to decide whether to go to my sheff hallam interview ( as they are the only other uni offering a B in bio or chem) if i've already got an offer from leeds met which could be my insurance.

including grades BB including one science subject - I take that to be 280 points.........which must include BB (so the other grade must make up the additional points) and one of these B's must be in a science - so yeah either bio or chem should do it :smile:
Reply 45
embrace

LOL....i got the same conditional offer as you today, but i cant make the open day in march, so i'm going to the one in may.
btw...i'm studying A2 biology, psychology, sociology and did chemistry AS
Reply 46
shoiab
LOL....i got the same conditional offer as you today, but i cant make the open day in march, so i'm going to the one in may.
btw...i'm studying A2 biology, psychology, sociology and did chemistry AS

congrats :smile:
Reply 47
thx JackieS :biggrin:

Still waiting for Huddersfield and Keele to reply
rugby_gal
I totally agree. From my own experience random selection before any interview is unfair. It leads to the possiblity that one student may, by luck of the draw, receive 6 offers whilst another student, equally deserving of a place on a physio course, could receive no offers.

I was lucky enough to get 2 offers through the random selection process but was rejected from 3 by the same system. The two uni's both didn't interview at all, which I think is another problem.

I'm in full support of all physio applicants having to be interviewed. To be a physio you need to be able to communicate and I think that interviews give you a chance to show this skill. There are individuals on my course who have poor communication skills, these have been found out and they've been kicked off the course which in my opinion is a great shame. Their places could have gone to someone more deserving if they'd only been interviewed.
Yep, for sure. I agree with this post fully. :cool:

Also is anyone currently undertaking a physio bridging course/planning to/has done so?

Just that mine starts next month in Feb (slightly irritated by this as my hols won't be as long as usual but nevermind :biggrin: ), and I have discovered that we are going to be looking over the nervous system a fair bit ( :eek: ) so thought I'd ask in advance!

DB_x
Here is a summary of what we will be looking at next month (ahh can't believe it's next month *panic*).

Syllabus: The course will examine current topics in systemic and organismal physiology, such as vertebrate smooth muscle control, visual systems, navigation, reproduction and osmoregulation. The integration of environmental variables and their effect on nervous and endocrine systems will be emphasised. Topics covered may vary between years and students are advised to check the syllabus with the course convener.
Reply 50
danni_bella83
Here is a summary of what we will be looking at next month (ahh can't believe it's next month *panic*).

Syllabus: The course will examine current topics in systemic and organismal physiology, such as vertebrate smooth muscle control, visual systems, navigation, reproduction and osmoregulation. The integration of environmental variables and their effect on nervous and endocrine systems will be emphasised. Topics covered may vary between years and students are advised to check the syllabus with the course convener.

that sounds alot like the foundation module I just did
Reply 51
Woohoo I've just finished my exams!!!! 3hr written paper this morning, was a horrid paper but....it's over!!!! Think I may go out and have a few drinks to celebrate!!
Reply 52
rugby_gal
Woohoo I've just finished my exams!!!! 3hr written paper this morning, was a horrid paper but....it's over!!!! Think I may go out and have a few drinks to celebrate!!

awww congrats! definitely need a drink to celebrate!
Reply 53
rugby_gal

We done!! Came on here to see if any other physio's are going through exam hell at the moment. You def deserve a drink (or 6!)

I've done 2, got 3 to go. Really worried about one - a movement exam on Thurs. We are given a scenario (anything from shoulder injury to fractured tib/fib) and have to teach a model a rehab programme and justify it in 15 mins...arggh! Did anyone else have an exam like this?

It's the first time I've done practical exams, I think they take a bit of getting used to. I've got a written physiology exam on Weds but don't seem to be worried about that.

Anyway well done to all that have finished exams and good luck to those with some to go x
Reply 54
cheesy
We done!! Came on here to see if any other physio's are going through exam hell at the moment. You def deserve a drink (or 6!)

I've done 2, got 3 to go. Really worried about one - a movement exam on Thurs. We are given a scenario (anything from shoulder injury to fractured tib/fib) and have to teach a model a rehab programme and justify it in 15 mins...arggh! Did anyone else have an exam like this?

It's the first time I've done practical exams, I think they take a bit of getting used to. I've got a written physiology exam on Weds but don't seem to be worried about that.

Anyway well done to all that have finished exams and good luck to those with some to go x

hey cheesy - long time no see! How's it going?!?!?
Reply 55
JackieS
hey cheesy - long time no see! How's it going?!?!?

Hey there - I see your still keeping the physio gang together - good work!!!

The course is going well thanks. I cant believe this time last year we were all worrying about just getting onto the course, and now we've finished our 1st term. I found the anatomy pretty hard at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I keep putting pictures all round the house - even my boyfried can reel off the hip flexors now!!

How are you finding it? Have you finished your exams? :smile:
Reply 56
cheesy
Hey there - I see your still keeping the physio gang together - good work!!!

The course is going well thanks. I cant believe this time last year we were all worrying about just getting onto the course, and now we've finished our 1st term. I found the anatomy pretty hard at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it now. I keep putting pictures all round the house - even my boyfried can reel off the hip flexors now!!

How are you finding it? Have you finished your exams? :smile:

I know - my boyfried is good at origins and insertions lol

Yeah I'm all done for exams - had the before xmas - 2 pracs and a written
JackieS
that sounds alot like the foundation module I just did
Really? How cool, was it hard or just time consuming, and what subject name did it have?
Reply 58
danni_bella83
Really? How cool, was it hard or just time consuming, and what subject name did it have?
It was just called the common foundation programme..............had sub modules in Autonomic Nervous System, Anatomy, Physiology, Histology etc

slightly off he point but does anyone here know how you get pictures in your signature?
Reply 59
cheesy

That sounds very similar to my practical exam!It's a nightmare to revise for when you could get absolutely anything!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest