The Student Room Group

Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
JackieS
well thats what is supposed to happen but everyone this year has been dead quie and barely asked anything so we've just been waffling for hours! lol so make sure you have a question or 2 for us!

really i thought people would be asking questions left right and centre?! il ask a question dont know what yet but il think of one!:biggrin: ive got a massage assessment next month as well so its all go!!
Fynn
really i thought people would be asking questions left right and centre?! il ask a question dont know what yet but il think of one!:biggrin: ive got a massage assessment next month as well so its all go!!
Also Fynn you should rehearse your answers to what you might think they might ask. You could suggest we ask you some questions for you to post answers too, like what made you decide to become a physio, stuff like that (prolly more complicated lol - this is just from the top of my head!).

Good luck with your massage assessment :smile:
Reply 82
Hey

Its gone really quiet on here recently, where's everyone hiding ? anyone got anything to discuss ?

ok ....what do you all think about new ESP physio's , here's an article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4553284.stm

I personally think its good idea, as its improving the image of physio as well as reducing waiting times etc
shoiab
Hey

Its gone really quiet on here recently, where's everyone hiding ? anyone got anything to discuss ?

ok ....what do you all think about new ESP physio's , here's an article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4553284.stm

I personally think its good idea, as its improving the image of physio as well as reducing waiting times etc
Haha "Super" physios - can just picture them with costumes.

I like the idea too :wink:

I was also talking to a nursing friend of mine last night and she says that there's gonna be more of a demand for physios in the future (at least here in Australia. I bet UK too :biggrin: ) so I was happy to hear that.
Reply 84
shoiab
Hey

personally I think its a good idea but it does require extra training and it raises the question of wether the NHS will be able to afford to fund said training
Reply 85
How does the BSc(Hons) degree classification work? e.g. what components contribute to it, with A-levels the exams and coursework would contribute to the final grade.

What marks/percentages do you need to gain a 1st, 2:1 etc ? and the Honours?

Is there some sort of league table where you find out this information? like you can for a-levels

any help is appreciated
Reply 86
shoiab
How does the BSc(Hons) degree classification work? e.g. what components contribute to it, with A-levels the exams and coursework would contribute to the final grade.

What marks/percentages do you need to gain a 1st, 2:1 etc ? and the Honours?

Is there some sort of league table where you find out this information? like you can for a-levels

any help is appreciated

The divison for 1st 2:1 etc is the same as for other degrees
70+ = 1st
60-69 = 2:1
50- 59 = 2:2

and to get the honours you must do a dissertation in your final year

The way of examingin you will vary slightly between uni's but basically its a combination of exams, coursework inc dissertation and reflective diary from
your placements. At msot uni's your first year doesn't count for your final grade. YUour 2nd and 3rd year will count with the 3rd year counting for the majority of the grade and the 2nd year making up the rest

I';ve certainly not come across league tables for physio. I know there are ones for allied health professions but this adds them all together rather than being seperate for each profession. Physio is pretty much like medicine in that it doesn't really matter too much where you go
Reply 87
thx JackieS

Could you tell me abit more about the reflective diary?
Reply 88
shoiab
thx JackieS

Could you tell me abit more about the reflective diary?

I'm not abotu the exact ins and outs of it, but basically you're expected to produce a piece of work (well at georges anyway) about each of your placements. Waht you saw, what you did, what you'd do differently, what you did wrong etc - basically its like a mini portfolio
Woo today I scored a medical physiology textbook, state of the art complete with CD ROM, edition 5 (newest that they had there in the 2nd hand shop lol) only $65 for my course this semester :biggrin: :elefant:
Reply 90
danni_bella
Woo today I scored a medical physiology textbook, state of the art complete with CD ROM, edition 5 (newest that they had there in the 2nd hand shop lol) only $65 for my course this semester :biggrin: :elefant:

which ones was uit?
+reps JackieS for being such a ledgendary and helpful member on here :biggrin:

XxX

P.S. Ta for the textbook tips and pointers earlier too :cool:

EDIT: Textbook I got the other day was Boron, W. & Boulpaep, E., Medical Physiology, 2003 :wink:
Reply 92
danni_bella
+reps JackieS for being such a ledgendary and helpful member on here :biggrin:

XxX

P.S. Ta for the textbook tips and pointers earlier too :cool:

EDIT: Textbook I got the other day was Boron, W. & Boulpaep, E., Medical Physiology, 2003 :wink:

never heard of that one - is it any good?
Hi people,

instead of making a new thread i thought i would post in this!
i have a conditional offer for leeds met, but i didnt have an interview!?

Can someone please tell me this difference between conditional and Un- i know its something to do with results but i dont know which way around!?! thank you so much :smile:
Reply 94
Regarding your first point, Leeds Met. do not interview their applicants, they just simply use other methods to select the right applicants. btw...will you be going to the informal open day on the 8th March or 10th May ?

From what i understand of conditional and unconditional offers....
Conditional - where the uni actually states a specific set of requirements they want you to meet, in order to gain entry
Unconditional - is where the uni basically accepts you with open arms, with very 'loose' requirements e.g. a minimum of 100 points
JackieS
never heard of that one - is it any good?
Not bad so far, a bit complex and boring tho tbh. I MUCH prefer Marieb's Human Physiology and Anatomy textbook, HEAPS more interesting to use, beautiful diagrams (well, in context :wink: ), CD Rom, a pleasure to use. Defo a better book lol sorry.

But I guess the Medical Physiology one is useful for what I'm studying now.
Reply 96
shoiab
Regarding your first point, Leeds Met. do not interview their applicants, they just simply use other methods to select the right applicants. btw...will you be going to the informal open day on the 8th March or 10th May ?

From what i understand of conditional and unconditional offers....
Conditional - where the uni actually states a specific set of requirements they want you to meet, in order to gain entry
Unconditional - is where the uni basically accepts you with open arms, with very 'loose' requirements e.g. a minimum of 100 points

actually unconditional offers tend to be completely unconditional i.e. not loose. Basically they will take you no matter what. Unconditional offers tend to be given to those that already have their exam results i..e me - I got an unconditional from st georges because I already had my degree results when I applied. Sometimes they cn be given to those who don't hvae results yet but usually this is extremely rare and saved for those who have major mitigating circumstances. And as shoiab said, Leeds Met (and a few other uni's) don't do interviews, so admissions is purely on your UCAS form, so thats why you never had one! Very big congrats on your offer though!
hey thanks very much guys, :smile:
i will be attending the 10th may open day, im wondering why i havnt got a un-conditional because i have all my grades etc...
Reply 98
hey

I'll be attending the 10th may open day as well, because i cant make the 8th march one ...so will probs see you there hopefully
1.00pm see you there!

Quick Reply