The Student Room Group

Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread

Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread!

Propose of this Thread

Hey Everyone! Welcome to the Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread!

This thread is intended for anyone that wishes to join the Official Physiotherapy Student Society, discuss current issues within the Physiotherapy profession and ask for support regarding applications or interviews. This thread is only intended for related Physiotherapy issues, topics and subjects!

Anything else relating to other Healthcare Professions, such as Sports Rehabilitation, Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Podiatry, Nursing, Medicine or Midwifery should be posted in the correct subforum of the "Medical, Health and Life Sciences University Courses"! Any topics relating to the NHS Bursary should be posted in the "NHS Bursary Thread"! Any topics relating to individual Universities should be posted into the correct University subforum!

Basic Rules of the Official Physiotherapy Student Society

1. Anyone can join the Official Physiotherapy Student Society, regardless of your situation; be that if you are currently applying, currently a Physiotherapy student, currently a Qualified Physiotherapist or even if you are interested in Physiotherapy as a future career or just generally.

2. This thread is strictly for Physiotherapy related content as explained above, if you wish to find information regarding your chosen topic; please search the forums first and if you are still baffled then post here and we will try to assist you the best we can.

3. Before posting questions like "I have x grades, can I get into Physiotherapy?" or asking any generalized question... Please look at the Physiotherapy Degree Page and email your chosen universities to request a prospectus & information; only post these types of questions here if you have searched the forums, searched Physiotherapy Degree Page and cannot find anything of use!

Interested in research based on Exercise and Therapy?

$hadow (Myself) has created a fantastic Facebook page called Evidence Based Exercise & Therapy where the most up-to-date research and developments are posted! So far it has over +40k followers, so if anyone is interested please like our page and feel free to ask any questions via PM

Physiotherapy Student Society Information & Joining Instructions

A current list of the Physiotherapy Student Society members can be found here: Current members of the Physiotherapy Student Society

$hadow, Graduate Physiotherapist - Current leader of the Physiotherapy Student Society.

Ironmike, Qualified Physiotherapist - Group Deputy Leader of the Physiotherapy Student Society

JackieS, Qualified Physiotherapist - Creator & Group Deputy Leader of the Physiotherapy Student Society. (Currently in-active since 09-02-2012)

To join the Physiotherapy Student Society, simply click here: Join the Physiotherapy Student Society and click yes! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me..

Regards,
$hadow.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thought we needed an official society thread (as the other one was only started to suggest it!) with a front post with names and stuff (hehe) so post your physio comments here but first some quick basic rules....

1. There aren't enough of us already studying to limit this society to current students (like the meds do) only so I think those currently in the middle of applying should also be allowed to join.
2. This thread is for anything physio related, but please try not to fill the whole thread with "are my a-level grades good enough, can you check my personal statement" etc kind of questions as there are tonnes of threads on this already......
3. If you want to join and are NOT on the list then PM me and I'll add you if you are currently studying/currently applying

Members
1. Danni Bella
2. JackieS
3. georgie24
4. !LJ!
5. embrace
6. shoiab
7. SamJL
8. rugbygal
9. Felicity9
10. ChocolatePie
11. oldwanabephysio
12. Fynn

So now we just need a starter topic.......anyone care to oblige?
Reply 2
someone must have a topic!

How about:

Is it good or bad that universities implement a random selection process for physiotherapy applicants (i.e. offers given without/after interview on a complete random basis)? See link!

http://www.therapyweekly.co.uk/nav?page=therapy.news.story&resource=905751
Reply 3
Personally, i think its an unfair way of picking applicants, because the admissions staff only have the UCAS personal statement and mainly an academic profile to go on. Then to go and pick them at random, without interview is even worse.

An applicant should be picked on both academic and personal qualities(which would come out in the interview really). Because by picking random applicants from a system means that you could get a really academic person, but lacks the qualities and then an applicant who has the qualities but lacks the academic side.

I know that it costs alot of money for the uni's to interview applicants etc.
However, i think interviewing is the best way to get an overall 'analysis' of an applicant. Looking at it in one way, it kind of shows that those uni's arent really bothered about who does physio at their uni, but rather, aslong as they have 50 random applicants their happy.

If the uni's interview all the applicants, then pick them at random ...doesnt that just defy the whole point of investing all that time and money into choosing the right applicants.
Reply 4
This is a link to what i think is the approved/accredited uni's which offer Physiotherapy
http://www.hpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/educationandtraining/approvedcourses_ph/

So does this mean, if there's a uni we've applied to, which is not on the list, then the course is not approved/accredited by the HPC, meaning the course is invalid? :confused: :confused:

Also, does anyone know what the difference between a BHSc(Hons) Physiotherapy (which Leeds Uni do) and a BSc(Hons) Physiotherapy is ??
Reply 5
shoiab
This is a link to what i think is the approved/accredited uni's which offer Physiotherapy
http://www.hpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/educationandtraining/approvedcourses_ph/

So does this mean, if there's a uni we've applied to, which is not on the list, then the course is not approved/accredited by the HPC, meaning the course is invalid? :confused: :confused:

Also, does anyone know what the difference between a BHSc(Hons) Physiotherapy (which Leeds Uni do) and a BSc(Hons) Physiotherapy is ??

I can't see any uni's missing from that list anyway.......

I don't think there is any difference apart from the fact that BHSc = Bachelors of Health Science or something like that whereas BSc is bachelor of science.....................the overall resulting degree is the same its just classified differently by some uni's

--------------

shoiab
Personally, i think its an unfair way of picking applicants, because the admissions staff only have the UCAS personal statement and mainly an academic profile to go on. Then to go and pick them at random, without interview is even worse.

An applicant should be picked on both academic and personal qualities(which would come out in the interview really). Because by picking random applicants from a system means that you could get a really academic person, but lacks the qualities and then an applicant who has the qualities but lacks the academic side.

I know that it costs alot of money for the uni's to interview applicants etc.
However, i think interviewing is the best way to get an overall 'analysis' of an applicant. Looking at it in one way, it kind of shows that those uni's arent really bothered about who does physio at their uni, but rather, aslong as they have 50 random applicants their happy.

If the uni's interview all the applicants, then pick them at random ...doesnt that just defy the whole point of investing all that time and money into choosing the right applicants.

offering places at random after interview would probably only occur say if they had 100 suitbale applicants but only 80 places.....they would have to cut 20.....
Reply 6
oh sorry, i got the wrong idea....erm yeah, if they interview 100 people and there all good and only have 80 places, then i think its slightly more fairer to randomly select them, but then again..if you look at it from a different point of view...if you've tried your best and you havent got a place,then it wasnt meant to be.

JackieS, what are your views on this random selection process ??
Reply 7
shoiab
oh sorry, i got the wrong idea....erm yeah, if they interview 100 people and there all good and only have 80 places, then i think its slightly more fairer to randomly select them, but then again..if you look at it from a different point of view...if you've tried your best and you havent got a place,then it wasnt meant to be.

JackieS, what are your views on this random selection process ??

I think it depends when the random selection takes aplce - if it occurs after you've interviewed and you're trying to get rid of some good students from a bunch of those you're wanting to accept then thats probably not too bad as you will have already decided that they're good enough for your course and its juts bad luck that they got rejected. However, if like some are doing, they are using the random selection as a means of choosing candidates INSTEAD of interviewing then I don't think thats at all fair. I think it leads to very good candidates slipping through the net whilst some who are perhaps not so good being chosen instead.........
Reply 8
JackieS
I think it depends when the random selection takes aplce - if it occurs after you've interviewed and you're trying to get rid of some good students from a bunch of those you're wanting to accept then thats probably not too bad as you will have already decided that they're good enough for your course and its juts bad luck that they got rejected. However, if like some are doing, they are using the random selection as a means of choosing candidates INSTEAD of interviewing then I don't think thats at all fair. I think it leads to very good candidates slipping through the net whilst some who are perhaps not so good being chosen instead.........

I totally agree. From my own experience random selection before any interview is unfair. It leads to the possiblity that one student may, by luck of the draw, receive 6 offers whilst another student, equally deserving of a place on a physio course, could receive no offers.

I was lucky enough to get 2 offers through the random selection process but was rejected from 3 by the same system. The two uni's both didn't interview at all, which I think is another problem.

I'm in full support of all physio applicants having to be interviewed. To be a physio you need to be able to communicate and I think that interviews give you a chance to show this skill. There are individuals on my course who have poor communication skills, these have been found out and they've been kicked off the course which in my opinion is a great shame. Their places could have gone to someone more deserving if they'd only been interviewed.
Reply 9
rugby_gal
I totally agree. From my own experience random selection before any interview is unfair. It leads to the possiblity that one student may, by luck of the draw, receive 6 offers whilst another student, equally deserving of a place on a physio course, could receive no offers.

I was lucky enough to get 2 offers through the random selection process but was rejected from 3 by the same system. The two uni's both didn't interview at all, which I think is another problem.

I'm in full support of all physio applicants having to be interviewed. To be a physio you need to be able to communicate and I think that interviews give you a chance to show this skill. There are individuals on my course who have poor communication skills, these have been found out and they've been kicked off the course which in my opinion is a great shame. Their places could have gone to someone more deserving if they'd only been interviewed.

Does anyone know the exact list of uni's that employ this random selection process PRIOR to interview? I'd just be intrigued to know more than anything. I know that Georges still inteview and have no plans to stop doing so.,

I also know that KCL do not interview however I don't know if they employ random selection.....
Reply 10
JackieS
Does anyone know the exact list of uni's that employ this random selection process PRIOR to interview? I'd just be intrigued to know more than anything. I know that Georges still inteview and have no plans to stop doing so.,

I also know that KCL do not interview however I don't know if they employ random selection.....

Well to start off...

Huddersfield
Leeds Met
Reply 11
shoiab
Well to start off...

Huddersfield
Leeds Met

yup hehehe and UWCM operates a mixed procedure according to that article....
Reply 12
the "lottery" system is totally unfair leeds met say they choose from a "stratified sample"which is just a nice way of saying randomly chosen. i think physio selection process should be made like medcine and vet med, you should have 4 choices instead of 6 and all appliciants should be interviewd.
Reply 13
I aint too sure about reducing it down to 4 choices.

However, like the medic. applicants they tend to apply for 4 medicine and then apply to 2 courses and are able to transfer nto medicine, like biomedical sciences, clinical sciences etc

Are there any similar courses like that with physiotherapy?
Reply 14
JackieS
yup hehehe and UWCM operates a mixed procedure according to that article....

No interviews at Keele and Salford so I'm presuming they randomly pick too.
Reply 15
shoiab
I aint too sure about reducing it down to 4 choices.

However, like the medic. applicants they tend to apply for 4 medicine and then apply to 2 courses and are able to transfer nto medicine, like biomedical sciences, clinical sciences etc

Are there any similar courses like that with physiotherapy?

I too am not too sure about lowering it to 4 choices - I can only see that this would be an advantage to the universities but not to the applicants. The uni's get to look through fewer personal statements but the applicants have less chance of getting in as they have applied to fewer choices.............seeing as its already damm hard to get in I don't really se ehow this would be of benefit................

as for applying for other courses and transfering I don't think there is anywhere where you can start one course and then transfer straight into physio afetr a certain time.....................I know some uni's might let you switch to physio but you would be expected to apply like everyone else through UCAS and then you would be expected to restart the entire course....................instead what happens is people tend to go for other degrees e.g. sports therapy, sports science, anatomy etc and then do a second degree or apply for graduate entry..........
Reply 16
JackieS

as for applying for other courses and transfering I don't think there is anywhere where you can start one course and then transfer straight into physio afetr a certain time.....................I know some uni's might let you switch to physio but you would be expected to apply like everyone else through UCAS and then you would be expected to restart the entire course....................instead what happens is people tend to go for other degrees e.g. sports therapy, sports science, anatomy etc and then do a second degree or apply for graduate entry..........

I don't think there is anywhere which would say that they allow this but it does happen. One of my friends on my course did exactly that. She didn't get a physio offer but went to the uni anyway, once there she went to the department and asked why she didn't get an offer when she was predicted and gained grades well above what was asked. The uni said that it was luck of the draw but she could have a place for the next year without reapplying as she was too late to transfer for that year.
Reply 17
rugby_gal
I don't think there is anywhere which would say that they allow this but it does happen. One of my friends on my course did exactly that. She didn't get a physio offer but went to the uni anyway, once there she went to the department and asked why she didn't get an offer when she was predicted and gained grades well above what was asked. The uni said that it was luck of the draw but she could have a place for the next year without reapplying as she was too late to transfer for that year.

what I was trying to get at is that transferring to physio would not be like transferring to medicine. Some uni's allow you to transfer from biomedicine to medicine if you get something ridiculous like 80% every year for thewhoole of your biomed degree (3years) and then you're allowed to transfer to year 4 of medicine for the remaining 2 years.........................you wouldn't be able to do this on physio - you wouldn't be able to do say year 1 of sports science and then the next year go straight into year 2 of physio - you would have to go back to year 1 and start again
Reply 18
Aaaahhh sorry I misunderstood!
Reply 19
rugby_gal
Aaaahhh sorry I misunderstood!

thats alright :smile:

I got my exam results - did really well - sooooo happy!

Quick Reply

Latest