The Student Room Group

What's AQA English Lang and Lit like at A2?

I've just started the A2 course and I'm debating whether or not to keep English. I didn't enjoy the subject at AS; I found the Language side mind-numbingly boring, even though the Literature side of the course was fairly enjoyable. The thing is, though, A2 seems a lot more interesting. The coursework is text transformation and I'll be studying Hamlet for the exam, as well as comparing spoken and written texts.

To anyone who's studied this course, is it as enjoyable as it sounds? And is it a lot more enjoyable than AS? I was absolutely sure I was going to drop English but now I really don't know what to do :confused:
Reply 1
Help anyone?
Hello :smile:
I did English language and Literature for A2, and I found my course to be overall very enjoyable!

If you didn't like the linguistic elements of the course then you might find A2 equally as boring, but then again, we look at conversational theory including elements of power theory, gender theory and cooperation theory, and it is surprisingly interesting!

I did Streetcar for the exam but most people seem to do Hamlet and I imagine due to the nature of the play the study of it is heavily literature based. I think the best thing about the course is the transformation coursework, which gives you the chance to do some creative writing as well as write about it in the commentary, and that was a really enjoyable experience!

The less enjoyable experience is ultimately the comparison of the unseen texts and their use of talk in life and literature. Its pretty hard ultimately, but with plenty of practice you should be able to cotton onto it.

Overall the course is brilliant, and definitely an improvement on A2. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by feverrobotics
Hello :smile:
I did English language and Literature for A2, and I found my course to be overall very enjoyable!

If you didn't like the linguistic elements of the course then you might find A2 equally as boring, but then again, we look at conversational theory including elements of power theory, gender theory and cooperation theory, and it is surprisingly interesting!

I did Streetcar for the exam but most people seem to do Hamlet and I imagine due to the nature of the play the study of it is heavily literature based. I think the best thing about the course is the transformation coursework, which gives you the chance to do some creative writing as well as write about it in the commentary, and that was a really enjoyable experience!

The less enjoyable experience is ultimately the comparison of the unseen texts and their use of talk in life and literature. Its pretty hard ultimately, but with plenty of practice you should be able to cotton onto it.

Overall the course is brilliant, and definitely an improvement on A2. :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

I've had about 5 English lessons of A2 and it does seem really enjoyable, especially Hamlet.... I think I could stand the linguistic side for another year if the rest of the course is an improvement from A2.

The best thing I reckon for me to do is just to wait for my AS grades before deciding what to drop... it's between this and psychology!

Thanks, again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending