The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ru7lan
I need a new laptop for next year since im going to uni. Im going to Loughborough to study Chemical engineering and i cant decide between mac and windows. What would be better for my course? and in genereal whats better?

Ive always been a PC user

You can pick up a DELL XPS15 6GB ram, i7 and 2GB graphics card for around £500 every so often.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 521
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
You can pick up a DELL XPS15 6GB ram, i7 and 2GB graphics card for around £500 every so often.

wow thnx, thats a killer pc for an amazing price
Reply 522
Original post by ru7lan
wow thnx, thats a killer pc for an amazing price

Indeed it is, but it's incredibly bulky.

I've got the XPS 15 (I think, might be 17) with i5, 6gig, 2gig graphics. SO heavy in comparison to others on the market. I'm planning on using it as a desktop and either get a tablet+keyboard or a much smaller (11in maybe) netbook for taking around campus.
Reply 523
Original post by Xenite
Indeed it is, but it's incredibly bulky.

I've got the XPS 15 (I think, might be 17) with i5, 6gig, 2gig graphics. SO heavy in comparison to others on the market. I'm planning on using it as a desktop and either get a tablet+keyboard or a much smaller (11in maybe) netbook for taking around campus.

Yep I've seen the pictures online and the laptop looks big and ugly :tongue:
Reply 524
Original post by ru7lan
Yep I've seen the pictures online and the laptop looks big and ugly :tongue:

Ugly? :O! Take that back!

Nah, you're right, it certainly isn't much of a looker... But it's not *that* bad :biggrin:
If you want a laptop for looks get a Mac and sit there with a £1500 machine with specs that you could get for ~£400.
Reply 526
Hi,

not an applicant, at least not yet but on courses with a compulsory placement - does the dept. actually fix one up for you or do you do it yourself , in which what happens if you are unsuccessful ?
Reply 527
Original post by Txi
Hi,

not an applicant, at least not yet but on courses with a compulsory placement - does the dept. actually fix one up for you or do you do it yourself , in which what happens if you are unsuccessful ?

I think it depends on the department.

For CS, we've been told that, when it comes to start of 2nd Year, we have to start applying ourselves to get a placement. The department has loads of links, though, and we will be able to get support and advice on where to look and how to approach potential placements. They made a big thing on our induction day about all the companies people have worked for, that LU now has links with and may be able to get repeat placements in future.

They also said that, should anything go wrong, they endeavour to sort it out with you. Apparently there was someone at an investment bank the other year which closed down within 2 weeks of him starting, but they managed to sort him out with another placement almost immediately. :smile:
Reply 528
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Hi everyone.
I'm currently in my first year studying English, if anyone has any questions. x

Hiya,

I have a question :smile: I'm transferring into the second year of BA English at Loughborough this October from the Uni of Sheffield. I've been trying to find out how each year of the course is weighted on the website but can't see anything about it. Presumably first year doesn't count towards final classification - is it right that second year marks contribute one-third of final grade, and third year marks contribute two-thirds (so double weighted)?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 529
Original post by Xenite
I think it depends on the department.

For CS, we've been told that, when it comes to start of 2nd Year, we have to start applying ourselves to get a placement. The department has loads of links, though, and we will be able to get support and advice on where to look and how to approach potential placements. They made a big thing on our induction day about all the companies people have worked for, that LU now has links with and may be able to get repeat placements in future.

They also said that, should anything go wrong, they endeavour to sort it out with you. Apparently there was someone at an investment bank the other year which closed down within 2 weeks of him starting, but they managed to sort him out with another placement almost immediately. :smile:

LOL,

Must have been a bit of a shocker - must not have gotten their bailout I guess.
Original post by courtneywow
I'm hoping to study criminology and social policy :smile:

Ahhh awesome! I've only seen one other person doing our course at Loughborough - was starting to feel lonely surrounded by all the engineers and sciency people.
Original post by vikkicrawsh
Ahhh awesome! I've only seen one other person doing our course at Loughborough - was starting to feel lonely surrounded by all the engineers and sciency people.

I'm not doing your course, but I know how you feel! I'm doing Fine Art, and I've only seen one other person doing the same course. There are soooo many sciency/engineer/maths people on here, I don't know where all the criminologists and artists are hiding :tongue:
Original post by vikkicrawsh

I know, I was starting to think I might be taking the course on my own hahah
Reply 533
So, who's applied for accomodation and where?!

I'm doing Sports and Exercise Science by the way. Oh and I'm currently in my second gap year, if you want to call it a gap year, it's more like a doss :P But I have been working to earn some much needed cash before blowing it all at uni, eh? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Andy
I'm having a really hard time deciding between Bill mo and robert bakewell. They seem pretty similar in terms of facilities etc, but bill mo is outside the campus only just, so i'm worried this may feel a bit separated from the rest of the halls, however it's really close to the student union which is a definite plus.

Robert bakewell seems great but it's just so far away, literally the other side of campus and i'm thinking maybe people who aren't particularly bothered about going out might decide to stay there since it's also close to all the sciency/engineering buildings.

The buildings for social sciences are more towards the student union which again is a plus for bill mo. However I've heard that the atmosphere isn't as good as it used to be there as more and more people are staying there who aren't the party type. Not that there's anything wrong with this i'm just concerned about not having people to go out with etc. As you can tell i'm stressing out hahah
Reply 535
I put Lboro as my insurance a few weeks ago, should I be expecting a confirmation or any literature soon?
Reply 536
I just got a place at bakewell since I'm an unconditional student. I think it's not a problem with going out since bakewell is situated in the 'student area' I.e where most of the accommodation is so I don't think there will be a problem

P.S and yes I'm an engineering student :tongue:
good point, might have to purchase a bike if I end up there though XD
The bus is pretty good. I can leave my room at William Morris and get to the engineering department within 10 minutes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 539
International Relations anyone? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending