The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough 2012 Freshers + FAQ/Info

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dudleyian
PS sorry missed a question! Entry costs £1 I believe for Stupid Tuesday and £3.50 for Hey Ewe/FND without Platinum. I found this fine to pay per visit as I usually went to one FND in two or three.

See lufbra.net for more details :smile:

Thanks so much for all your replies :smile: That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Still not sure if I should get Platinum though!

When you said in the other thread that you didn't get it because you weren't sure how much you'd go out, do you think you ended up spending less overall than the cost of Platinum? Not that I expect you'll remember exactly what you spent or anything, but at the end of the year did you think "I should've got Platinum" or was there not much of a difference? Sorry if that's too hard a question :tongue:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 881
Original post by Village Whisper
Thanks so much for all your replies :smile: That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Still not sure if I should get Platinum though!

When you said in the other thread that you didn't get it because you weren't sure how much you'd go out, do you think you ended up spending less overall than the cost of Platinum? Not that I expect you'll remember exactly what you spent or anything, but at the end of the year did you think "I should've got Platinum" or was there not much of a difference? Sorry if that's too hard a question :tongue:

take a leap of faith and go platinum extra..go onnnnnnnnn :smile:
Reply 882

Everyone I know in my halls bought Platinum and was glad they did, those that didn't regretted it. One of my housemates even bought Platinum Extra just for the second semester because he realised how beneficial it is.
Original post by Tyles

Exactly what I thought when I paid for mine.

No problem :smile:

I personally definitely ended up spending less; although I had a girlfriend for much of my first two years which meant most weekends were spent with her; so I didn't go out much with my flatmates. Having said that I used it loads in the first month or so and having the freshers ball ticket guaranteed was fantastic.

Obviously the most ideal solution would be to wait until you get there and see if your flatmates have got it; but that's not an option as they sell out before term starts!

Personally didn't regret not getting one; but know people who did, mostly because their flatmates/course mates who they went out with had one, and then it gets awkward in terms of queue jumps obviously!
Original post by Tyles

Original post by hawkesy_1
Everyone I know in my halls bought Platinum and was glad they did, those that didn't regretted it. One of my housemates even bought Platinum Extra just for the second semester because he realised how beneficial it is.

Original post by dudleyian
No problem :smile:

I personally definitely ended up spending less; although I had a girlfriend for much of my first two years which meant most weekends were spent with her; so I didn't go out much with my flatmates. Having said that I used it loads in the first month or so and having the freshers ball ticket guaranteed was fantastic.

Obviously the most ideal solution would be to wait until you get there and see if your flatmates have got it; but that's not an option as they sell out before term starts!

Personally didn't regret not getting one; but know people who did, mostly because their flatmates/course mates who they went out with had one, and then it gets awkward in terms of queue jumps obviously!

Thanks again everyone :smile: I think I might get it...If the freshers ball is £35 alone, and I definitely want to go to that, then that means it's £104 for everything else which isn't so bad. Then I'd just have to make sure I make the most of it. I just didn't expect it to get this expensive before I'd even left home :/
Reply 886
Bought Platinum Extra, hall subs and fresher ticket :smile: sorry if this has already been asked but how do we pay the fresher fee (extra rent)? Do we just pay it with the first rent installment?
Original post by Alxndra
Bought Platinum Extra, hall subs and fresher ticket :smile: sorry if this has already been asked but how do we pay the fresher fee (extra rent)? Do we just pay it with the first rent installment?

Yep, it just gets added on, I believe :yep:
When do we find out if we get the scolarship. (NSP)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 889
Eep, paid for my hall subs and freshers ticket, and driving license so I've got some ID, so far it's already cost me £170... I might have to give Platinum Extra a miss then...

Anyone know when/how/where we can buy Freshers Ball tickets, if we haven't got Platinum?
I received a letter a few weeks ago that gad our student number,email etc...with a form for gp, and another form which asked for a photo for student Id. I seemed to have lost it. How do I get a new one?

Reply 891
Original post by cashmoneyorg
I received a letter a few weeks ago that gad our student number,email etc...with a form for gp, and another form which asked for a photo for student Id. I seemed to have lost it. How do I get a new one?

Email [email protected] and ask them to send you a registration pack, or inbox me your email address I can forward it to you
Reply 892
So even though we pay for a platinum card, freshers fee and hall sub we still have to pay for a freshers ticket? What does that get us into that the other things dont?
Reply 893
Original post by cazah
So even though we pay for a platinum card, freshers fee and hall sub we still have to pay for a freshers ticket? What does that get us into that the other things dont?

Platinum Card/Platinum Extra Card = Discounts/free entry into the union, plus freshers ball ticket.

Freshers Fee/Hall Sub = Pays for the extra half-week of accomodation at the start, afaik. Also hall activites (like IMS) throughout the year.

Freshers Ticket = Pays for hall activities during freshers week, like punch parties/bowling trips etc..

That's how I understand it, going on what I've seen on the Rigg-Rut FB page and elsewhere. I may be wrong though, and might have confused one or two things... :s-smilie:
Original post by cazah

Basically what Xenite said, but for Harry French (and maybe other halls, which is why I'm adding this) the "freshers ticket" seems to be included in the hall subs. It says "Freshers Subs Incl. Social events" and there's no other freshers option, so maybe you won't have to buy a freshers ticket separately. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference money-wise, but it makes it a bit less confusing (for me, at least!).

But yeah, the Platinum card is for the union, freshers fee is the freshers week accommodation (which apparently gets added onto your first accommodation bill), hall subs are compulsory and go towards hall-related things throughout the year, and freshers ticket is I think for the activities/events your hall has organised for freshers week/fortnight.

...At least, I think that's right!
Original post by KazMan
Email [email protected] and ask them to send you a registration pack, or inbox me your email address I can forward it to you

Thanks I've emailed them
I applied to Lboro not having going to an open day. Do you think I can just walk in and have a look around myself?

Reply 897
Original post by cashmoneyorg
I applied to Lboro not having going to an open day. Do you think I can just walk in and have a look around myself?

Yep :smile:

Obviously, there'll be places you can't go (i.e. into lecture halls/the library (i think) and the halls themselves) but you can definitely have a walk around the campus if you want :biggrin:
Reply 898
Basically what Xenite said, but for Harry French (and maybe other halls, which is why I'm adding this) the "freshers ticket" seems to be included in the hall subs. It says "Freshers Subs Incl. Social events" and there's no other freshers option, so maybe you won't have to buy a freshers ticket separately. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference money-wise, but it makes it a bit less confusing (for me, at least!).

But yeah, the Platinum card is for the union, freshers fee is the freshers week accommodation (which apparently gets added onto your first accommodation bill), hall subs are compulsory and go towards hall-related things throughout the year, and freshers ticket is I think for the activities/events your hall has organised for freshers week/fortnight.

...At least, I think that's right!

I dont get the difference between the hall sub and freshers ticket like what each of them do by paying them they both seem like the same thing. But if i have to pay it then i have to pay it. Gonna be broke before I even get there! Do you know how to buy a freshers ticket? Do you do it before you get there or can you do it when you get there? Thanks for all the info btw
Original post by cazah
I dont get the difference between the hall sub and freshers ticket like what each of them do by paying them they both seem like the same thing. But if i have to pay it then i have to pay it. Gonna be broke before I even get there! Do you know how to buy a freshers ticket? Do you do it before you get there or can you do it when you get there? Thanks for all the info btw

The hall subs are compulsory, and go towards the activities/events your hall plans for the rest of the year (i.e. not freshers week/fortnight). The freshers ticket is like a mini version of the hall subs, I guess, because it goes towards activities/events planned by your hall for freshers week/fortnight.

If you go to your hall page on the lufbra.net website (and log in), it should come up with a list of things you can buy. Look for the freshers-related one; if it's just "Freshers Subs Incl. Social Events" like mine is for Harry French, then you won't need to buy a separate freshers ticket as it's included in that option (there won't be another option for a freshers ticket if that is the case). If there's a "Subs" option as well as a "Freshers ticket" option, then I guess that means you buy both (assuming you want to attend the freshers events).

Hope that covers it; I'm not sure how else to explain it :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending