The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
You're taking benefits you don't need. Obviously, I would use it for day to day living costs of a child. IE, clothing, after school clubs, etc.

Every parent in the country is entitled to it? Im not taking benefits i don't need at all- I WOULD LOVE the extra £80 a month, but I decided to do the non selfish thing and save it for the future so if my child chooses to go traveling, buy a house or whatever she wants do. Its not money for me, its money for her. Hate if you want, I couldn't give a monkeys. We all have different ways of wanting to parent.
Reply 821
But why should the tax payer fund that? She's claiming benefits she doesn't need. Benefits are there for those who need them.

NYprincessmaddie said that she gets by, which suggests she spends her money wisely, and appropriately, obviously she wants to keep that money back for her daughter, she's not spending it on her self, what's wrong with that? Some students had EMA up to £30, that's near enough faded out now, but if her daughter decides to go Sixth or College etc. she can fund herself without asking for money from her mother who 'gets by' and so putting that money to good a good and positive use.
Very few people can afford luxuries. Quite a few are having to choose between heating and eating. Especially when out of that money, you've got to pay for items that you need that aren't on prescription.

The only people really affected by the £26k cap are those with big families and /or those who live in expensive areas.

I know that, and I honestly do feel sorry for people in those circumstances.

The issue for me is when people on benefits living in expensive areas like central London claim that they are victims of 'social engineering' if they can't afford the rent. My parents are in work, and so they bought a house in an area, and of a size, that they could afford. My dad used to own a house in what is today a very expensive area of London, but he would never see it as unfair that he can't afford to live there now. If something is expensive and you don't have the money to pay for it, you can't have it.

Just as a point, I live up north now; the people who can't afford London should try it up here in Yorkshire, it's much nicer!! :smile:
Original post by ras90
If you cant pay for your kid to eat, then tough. You lose your kid.

And where exactly does that kid go?

Original post by ras90
That is the risk, dont have children unless you can pay for them. It is quite simple really.

Once again, saying that does not solve the issue does it.
I agree with the statement, but we must also have a system to help those kids who ARE born to parents who cannot afford them.

Original post by NYprincessmaddie
Not true. I worked full time when I was doing a distance learning course.
You seem to have many, many, many excuses.

You didn't have a kid though did you?
You seem unable to see the difference between a reason and an excuse.

Original post by ras90
Or make sure you have sufficiant savings.
This system WORKS in MOST countrys in the world.

Except it DOESN'T.
In the countries that do not have benefits systems such as ours, people suffer and die because they do not have enough money.

Original post by ras90
They will just become another chav parent anyway.

Only if you as a society allow them to be.
If you support them, help them to better themselves, etc etc, then they will not become that.
Original post by ras90

I would remove the NHS. Waste of money.

Care to explain?
What if YOU got cancer?
Somehow I doubt you have tens / hundreds of thousands of pounds to pay for the treatment.
The average nanny salary is £300-£600npw for a live out, 250-450npw for a live in. I think your thinking about Aupairs, they are unqualified and live for "pocket money" in exchange for 20/25 hours work a week.

And how the hell do you think normal people can find £300-600 a month to pay for childcare??

Most parents work 10/12 hours a day.

Umm no they don't.

WHAT I DONT AGREE WITH- is people sitting on their backsides their entire life relying on other people to fund their alcohol, nicotine and drug addiction. Generalization? Maybe.

Maybe?
How about a definite yes.
You are describing a tiny minority.
Why should the MAJORITY be punished because of that?

what is portrayed on the TV

Are you being bloody serious? You are basing your opinions on what is portrayed on TV? Jesus christ no wonder why you are so out of touch with reality.

The only person who I think should ever be excused from work while claiming benefits is those who are so seriously disabled they cannot work- like alot of others have said on here.

So you think kids should just be left alone during work hours (assuming the parent cannot afford childcare).

Original post by FrogInABog
It shows that at least a few must get more than that, which I would say is above 'barely surviving'.

A few. Exactly. So again, why should the MAJORITY be punished and demonised just because of a minority?

Benefits are supposed to be a safety net for anyone is, for whatever reason, temporarily or permanently out of work. They cannot be expected to give people luxuries, that is not what they are for.

And that is exactly what it is like for the vast majority of people living on benefits.
Enough to live, but not enough for luxuries.

but there is a small number who are happy to exploit the system.

So even you accept it is a minority. So I ask once again, why the hell should the MAJORITY be punished because of that small minority? Why not just clamp down on that minority?
Original post by WelshBluebird
And where exactly does that kid go?

Once again, saying that does not solve the issue does it.
I agree with the statement, but we must also have a system to help those kids who ARE born to parents who cannot afford them.

You didn't have a kid though did you?
You seem unable to see the difference between a reason and an excuse.

Except it DOESN'T.
In the countries that do not have benefits systems such as ours, people suffer and die because they do not have enough money.

Only if you as a society allow them to be.
If you support them, help them to better themselves, etc etc, then they will not become that.

Care to explain?
What if YOU got cancer?
Somehow I doubt you have tens / hundreds of thousands of pounds to pay for the treatment.

Health insurance like in any other country.

and yes other countriess work fine without child benefits. look at taiwan.
Original post by ras90

And what about those who cannot afford health insurance?

What, somewhere that has a vastly smaller population and a vastly smaller area than our country? Because yeah, we can really make valid comparisons :rolleyes:
Remembering Taiwan has a worse infant mortality rate, a worse life expectancy, a worse literacy rate, etc etc etc.
Original post by ras90

You're still just shifting costs around.

1. Child benefit:
If the children go into care because their parents can't afford to feed them the government has to pay to bring them up, agreed? Why not just give that money to the parents and let the kid have a better childhood, especially if you're saying that children could be taken from parents if they become unemployed for a few months.

2. NHS
Disabled people with either have to pay a mint for health insurance that covers their condition - so you'll have to give them more benefits to be able to pay for their health insurance because these people can't work - or other people will pay extra for their premiums to keep the premiums of disabled people down; in which case you may as well just make it a tax instead of insurance costs and have the NHS.

I've said this before and you've ignored me, you're not solving anything!
Original post by minimarshmallow

1. Child benefit:
If the children go into care because their parents can't afford to feed them the government has to pay to bring them up, agreed? Why not just give that money to the parents and let the kid have a better childhood, especially if you're saying that children could be taken from parents if they become unemployed for a few months.

2. NHS
Disabled people with either have to pay a mint for health insurance that covers their condition - so you'll have to give them more benefits to be able to pay for their health insurance because these people can't work - or other people will pay extra for their premiums to keep the premiums of disabled people down; in which case you may as well just make it a tax instead of insurance costs and have the NHS.

I've said this before and you've ignored me, you're not solving anything!

Give me a list of other countries with a NHS.
Original post by ras90
Give me a list of other countries with a NHS.

Yeah that's a good argument.
Give me a list of the medical bankruptcies in the UK
Yeah that's a good argument.
Give me a list of the medical bankruptcies in the UK

So you are saying EVERY other country has it wrong......
Original post by ras90
So you are saying EVERY other country has it wrong......

No, I'm saying that just because they're somewhat right doesn't mean we aren't right also. Both systems have flaws, its about minimising these!
And, that you're ignoring the actual response I've given to you about you just pushing money about. This thread isn't about the NHS, it's about people on benefits and whether or not you can call them all lazy.
No, I'm saying that just because they're somewhat right doesn't mean we aren't right also. Both systems have flaws, its about minimising these!
And, that you're ignoring the actual response I've given to you about you just pushing money about. This thread isn't about the NHS, it's about people on benefits and whether or not you can call them all lazy.

Yes, they are lazy.
Original post by ras90
Yes, they are lazy.

Lovely argument... someone who loses their job and then needs a couple of months on benefits to feed themselves because they can't find a new job is definitely lazy.
Fair enough people who pop out kids just for the benefits are, but not everyone!
Also, I'd just like to point out that not having lots of qualifications doesn't make you stupid. There's more to cleverness than being well-qualified.
A few. Exactly. So again, why should the MAJORITY be punished and demonised just because of a minority?

And that is exactly what it is like for the vast majority of people living on benefits.
Enough to live, but not enough for luxuries.

So even you accept it is a minority. So I ask once again, why the hell should the MAJORITY be punished because of that small minority? Why not just clamp down on that minority?

Errm, right. That's what I said...

I don't take issue with people getting benefits to keep food on the table, roof over their heads etc if they honestly have no other means of doing so.

I'm not advocating taking anything away from those who really need it, and I accept that it's a minority who 'sponge'. Nonetheless, it's a growing problem, and you really don't have to look that far to find people who are happy to sit back and put their feet up, while others work hard to earn a living.

I should point out, I actually didn't say anything about cracking down on anyone, but now you mention it, my belief is that anyone who is using the welfare system as a last resort, and are trying their best to work where possible, is fine to receive benefits. But anyone who thinks that tax payers' money should act as some means of providing them with nice stuff ought to be punished. Whatever happened to good old British pride in those sorts of people?!
Original post by ilovehobnobs
You live in the largest area of the UK. There are thousands of jobs in London, unfortunately some people cannot afford the lifestyle to move there and live for the sake of a job.

I DO NOT live in London!

I live in Sheffield! I'm from London, which is why it gives it as my location.

And yes, there are jobs in Sheffield. And Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, the rest of South Yorkshire!

Please, don't presume to know anything about me!

1. Child benefit:

They dont need to go into care, but why can't they just be fed basic foods at a soup kitchen?
Or why can't the parents just be given a box of Tesco Value food every week?

And some rubbishy second-hand clothes every 6 months?

Thats good enough for them.
So she should have 'self-respect' and stay at home all day unable to do anything productive because she can't get herself around?
People don't just get motability cars if they've sprained their ankle, you have to be in receipt of DLA. And a lot of people (including my mum) have recently had to go for medicals with doctors who don't know them to be reassessed to see if they're still entitled to this.

Also, if she didn't have her car (I'm mostly talking from my mum's experience here rather than ilovehobnobs as I don't know her situation) she'd probably have to have a carer to help her go shopping/do her shopping for her, and who's going to pay for that? Or should she just starve when she can't get herself to the shops?

So is there absolutely NO type of work your Mum could do?

Couldn't she be a chatline operator from home?

There are people considerably more disabled then people who just have arthritis, and they manage to work- look at Alison Lapper.

Latest

Trending

Trending