The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For many people who are on JSA, who have few or no qualification, what is the reason for this.

Without describing backgrounds of abuse or being shunted through the care system, I rest at the judgment that they were lazy and didn't show initiative at school and as a young person.

When describing situations, always say why the person is in that situation, and a valid reason at that, then you will find people will find them a great deal more credible .
Original post by kopite493
thats cause you weren't giving the oppitunity

Considering my sister has a diagnosis of severe autism, and severe learning difficulties (to the point she can't cook her own food, or bath herself, or put herself to bed - at age 18) I'd be very unwilling to leave her on her own. She needs constant 24/7 care, which is what my mum provides hence she can't work.

I am slightly different in that I suffer from dyspraxia (developmental disorder affecting the way my brain processes and plans things - it's like mild cerebral palsy) and mental health difficulties. I can be trusted to stay in the house alone but not without having someone to contact for safety reasons - I fall easily, have a nasty habit of cutting and burning myself while cooking, shaving etc. I'm allowed to stay in the house on my own but I wasn't allowed to do that until age 15/16.

My mum has worked - for a year - but my sister's autism became far more severe as she entered puberty, there was also noone to care for her while my mum was working, and at the same time, my mum has quite bad mental and physical health problems and was taking seizures all the time at work which didn't help.

Lots of us have no choice but to live the lifestyles we do.
Original post by Dalek1099
My mam can't work computer

My 72 year old Gran knows how to use a computer. It's really not hard to learn.

Original post by xDave-
Yeah my dad is always complaining that I don't have a job, but it's almost impossible to get one; especially when you're 20 and have no work experience. I signed onto the dole because I thought they'd help me .

So get off your arse, and use your initiative to GET SOME.

"Dear [Company]

My name is [xxxx], I'm [xx] years old and am interested in a career in [retail/medicine/science/finance/law]. I was just wondering if it would be possible to do some work experience with your company.

I'd be extremely grateful if you could let me know.

Yours Sincerely

[The lazy effing village Idiot]"

Or do some volunteering or something.

Original post by xDave-
I signed onto the dole because I thought they'd help me .

And that is half the problem. So many people in this country expect things to just fall into their lap with no effort. They expect other people to do things for them. Try helping your bloody self!

ETA: I have nothing against people who need Benefits due to poor health etc. But the attitudes of those above is disgraceful.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's the people who do stay on benefits and abuse the system that ruin it for everyone else.
Original post by daisydaffodil
Considering my sister has a diagnosis of severe autism, and severe learning difficulties (to the point she can't cook her own food, or bath herself, or put herself to bed - at age 18) I'd be very unwilling to leave her on her own. She needs constant 24/7 care, which is what my mum provides hence she can't work.

I am slightly different in that I suffer from dyspraxia (developmental disorder affecting the way my brain processes and plans things - it's like mild cerebral palsy) and mental health difficulties. I can be trusted to stay in the house alone but not without having someone to contact for safety reasons - I fall easily, have a nasty habit of cutting and burning myself while cooking, shaving etc. I'm allowed to stay in the house on my own but I wasn't allowed to do that until age 15/16.

My mum has worked - for a year - but my sister's autism became far more severe as she entered puberty, there was also noone to care for her while my mum was working, and at the same time, my mum has quite bad mental and physical health problems and was taking seizures all the time at work which didn't help.

Lots of us have no choice but to live the lifestyles we do.

okay this is a valid excuse

most people do not have this though and really 13 year olds can and probably should be left on there own
Reply 125
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
"Get off benefits, earn some real money"
"Get a real job"
" Lazy people who sponge of the government"

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of people making these ridiculous statements about people on the welfare system. Do you think it's as easy as that...?

My mum has to apply for new jobs everyday, and show proof that she's done it, she has to attend pointless meetings, and if she doesn't she loses money....

My mum has had the opportunity to work several time but it doesn't make sense!

2 kids, one of which is 13 and needs full-time support, can we agree that a 13 year old needs a mum there before she goes to school and when she comes back....? Yes we can.....

Put it this way....

Amount of money gained from welfare system = 100 pound per week
Working full-time 35 hours p/w, spending no time with their kids, not being able to feed one of them, and damaging your health for **** pay... = £80...

If she went to work she'd earn less and sacrifice one of her children, I don't think so...

Yes, fair enough if you're a single person/mum/dad or whatever, but don't generalize everyone on the system....

EDIT - Those figures used aren't real, in other words I'm saying she'd earn less working whilst making stupid compromises..

so basically the government should cut benefits so people actually want to go to work so they can get more money.
Reply 126
Stereotyping- Only for bigoted, blinkered people...
Original post by alnov
so basically the government should cut benefits so people actually want to go to work so they can get more money.

No - it's the other way around. Benefit money should stay where it is, but wages should go up and house prices / rent / cost of living should come down.
No point in cutting benefit money - it's already too low. All that would be achieved by doing that would be to put people in even more hardship than they're already in.
Problem is our economy's screwed.
Reply 128
Original post by teadrinker
I don;t think anyone is advocating REMOVING benefits for those looking for work.

They are more concerned about tightening up a system that is prone to abuse.

Your comment does not add anything meaningful to the discussion.

Pot calling the kettle...
Reply 129
Original post by Intensity

"Dear [Company]

My name is [xxxx], I'm [xx] years old and am interested in a career in [retail/medicine/science/finance/law]. I was just wondering if it would be possible to do some work experience with your company.

Yours Sincerely

Can't tell if trolling or just really, really, really stupid.

You do understand what you have to do to be eligible for Jobseekers Allowance...? Right? Right...? (HINT: IT'S IN THE NAME)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by coolmushroom
Not if you look in the long term of what they have put into the economy vs what they have taken from it. It's about a 270:1 ratio :wink:

Never said it isn't beneficial to the economy, merely that a lot of government debt right now came from bailing out the banks.
Original post by teadrinker
The majority aren't lazy? Oh that's great. What percentage are lazy scroungers then? 49% 30% 20%?

even if it's only 5% who brazenly scrounge, it's 5% too much. People like your dad (if he is fully deserving of our tax money) should welcome a reform of the system as it will help remove some of the stigma of being on benefits. We should ALL welcome a cleaner, better, m ore efficient system.

And he has to spend 4 hours a week filling in forms hey? My god, I bet the hearts of people who clock up 45 hours a week in the work place are collectively bleeding a river right now.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, you can't justify a bad system by picking out individual deserving cases. Likewise, I can't prove the system is broken by picking out cases of extreme scrounging such as the marathon runner disability claimant. The statistics that point to a broken system are the one's a linked to in a previous post of mine (here) which suggest our levels of disability benefits claims are twice that of our neighbors, and more than three times that of Japan. We are NOT a nation of cripples - something is amiss. Also 1 in 6 kids lives in a family that has no employed members - TWICE the EU average. These statistics are of concern to British tax payers, whether you, your dad, or anyone else, cares to think otherwise.

Alas, by the looks pof this thread, the friends and family of benefiteers must be too ignorant to get it...

It was actually 8-12 hours plus a job, plus looking for other jobs.
It's called reading, you should try it.

(Also there are the hours he wastes waiting around on the phone/in offices/in banks/going to Citizens Advice/going to get things photocopied.)

So what kind of reforms do you actually want?
It seems that making it more thorough will lead to massive increases in bureaucracy. This is bad for genuine claimants and the civil servants who have to deal with it.
The system as it exists now is already too complicated, too much stuff gets lost, half the people working there don't even understand the multitude of rules and regulations.
A system completely immune to any abuse would have to be so astronomically complicated that I'm not sure it would actually benefit anyone.

Obviously I don't think it's okay that people abuse the system. To be honest I don't know what should be done to change it. But adding to bureaucracy can't be the answer.
Original post by Sagacious
Why on earth are you twisting my words? I've never said I want kids working down the mine? If I have then I will apologise. Find me the quote.

But it's fact, Britain has become lazy. We let China/India do most of the work.

Conveniently you only choose to reply to one part of my post. But for the lols:
Sagacious
Kids should work in mines

But yeah, its obviously more complicated then "Britain is lazy" and I touched upon that in my previous post. Either reply to me properly or dont.
Original post by Intensity

"Dear [Company]

Yours Sincerely

Dear The lazy effing village Idiot,

I am sorry but we cannot provide any work experience for you.
You are more than welcome to apply for the few vacancies we do have, but you will have to compete with the couple of hundred people who also want a job. As such, you are very unlikely to get the job.

Yours Sincerely,
Company

While the above is obviously sarcastic, that is the reality really. If you really think it is that easy to get some experience, then you are very very naive.

Original post by alnov

Nope.
That would do no one any good.
The reality is that either wages need to increase, or the cost of living needs to fall.
Original post by adam_zed
But yeah, its obviously more complicated then "Britain is lazy" and I touched upon that in my previous post. Either reply to me properly or dont.

Look, i'm done with this thread. I've voiced my opinion and you didn't like it (the truth hurts), I stand by 95% of what i've said(I did go overboard at times - calling the majority of single parents stupid which I apologise for), but Britain is becoming lazy; admit it or don't, it doesn't matter - it's true. The only people who need benefits are single mothers/fathers with children under the age of 10 or people who are disabled in any way, shape or form.

Chavs don't need it.
Original post by Sagacious
Look, i'm done with this thread. I've voiced my opinion and you didn't like it (the truth hurts), I stand by 95% of what i've said(I did go overboard at times - calling the majority of single parents stupid which I apologise for), but Britain is becoming lazy; admit it or don't, it doesn't matter - it's true. The only people who need benefits are single mothers/fathers with children under the age of 10 or people who are disabled in any way, shape or form.

Chavs don't need it.

Its not a question about what I "dont like" rather the fact that I went to the lengths of producing a longish post that tackled most of your childish assumptions and your baseless hypothesis of a new age of laziness in britain and you could only fathom a reply to like 1% of what I said. What exactly makes your statement true? I think cats are really reptilian shape shifters. I provide no supporting evidence, but following in your example, I dont need to provide any such evidence, merely just to keep saying that its true.

Do you not realise that since the 1600s at least, people like you have been moaning about a lazy class of people?

Why you negging me foollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
"Get off benefits, earn some real money"
"Get a real job"
" Lazy people who sponge of the government"

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of people making these ridiculous statements about people on the welfare system. Do you think it's as easy as that...?

My mum has to apply for new jobs everyday, and show proof that she's done it, she has to attend pointless meetings, and if she doesn't she loses money....

My mum has had the opportunity to work several time but it doesn't make sense!

2 kids, one of which is 13 and needs full-time support, can we agree that a 13 year old needs a mum there before she goes to school and when she comes back....? Yes we can.....

Put it this way....

Amount of money gained from welfare system = 100 pound per week
Working full-time 35 hours p/w, spending no time with their kids, not being able to feed one of them, and damaging your health for **** pay... = £80...

If she went to work she'd earn less and sacrifice one of her children, I don't think so...

Yes, fair enough if you're a single person/mum/dad or whatever, but don't generalize everyone on the system....

EDIT - Those figures used aren't real, in other words I'm saying she'd earn less working whilst making stupid compromises..

So "in other words" your a bafoon! But you can join the others HERE

To be perfectly honest with you, the numbers make sense. But what you don't get on benefits is a sense of pride. The satisfaction of been a contributing member of society.

Yes there are people on income support, there always will be. Some try hard to find work, others do not bother. But the Daily Mail and co have succeed in turning public opinion against benefits. Personally I am in favour of more strict controls and tighter means testing and I hope that people who can work are put to work. For example, community projects and charity work to help fill some of their tax payer funded free time.

Benefits should not be seen as the easy option, but far to often it is and sadly large chunks of British society are far to comfortable at the tax payers expense.
Reply 137
Original post by screenager2004
No. I was left home alone when I was 13, just to wait until 5.30 when my dad came back - I was only alone for 2 hours. Before then I went to a before/after school club for an hour just so my mum could pick me up after work. The government say that after 14 a child can be left at home on their own for extended periods of time. So she has no excuse.

Also, your mum could work in the evenings while your dad was home. Or take flexible hours/job share so she is only at work from 9 til 3, leaving her free to pick the kids up from school.

So your mum only gets £80 from working 35 hours? She gets paid £2.21 an hour?
Minimum wage is £5.93. Your mum would get AT LEAST £207.55 a week. Double what she scrounges by on benefits.
She wouldn't be with her kids anyway because they'd be at school - plus kids that age want to hang out with friends or have some independence. Not be smothered like a toddler.
A 13 year old can feed itself.
Working is better for your self esteem and circulation

Original post by Jono404
After tax and NI that's even less.

yes all £12.66 per week of it. WOW soooooooooo much money paid in tax!!!!!! OMG!!!!!

Who would have thought after taking tax payers money it would be finally time to give some back. Shocking for some I could guess.
Reply 138
Original post by Dalek1099
My mam can't work computer and what if they are stupid it's not her fault and opening bussiness requires exceptional intelligence.

guess you have not been watching the apprentice
Original post by Davethedavedave

Original post by Davethedavedave
guess you have not been watching the apprentice

I actually have a bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending