The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Square both sides, then try to prove that (LHS)^2 = (RHS)^2

So you start with the (LHS)^2 and basically expand brackets until you get down to the answer 2, which is the (LHS)^2.

That's basically how you do it.
Reply 2
distortedgav
Square both sides, then try to prove that (LHS)^2 = (RHS)^2

So you start with the (LHS)^2 and basically expand brackets until you get down to the answer 2, which is the (LHS)^2.

That's basically how you do it.

Thats what I thought straight way, but I am having difficulties doing LHS², not really sure how to treat it.
Can you expand it for me?
Reply 3
√(2+√3) - √(2-√3) = √2

Squaring:

[√(2+√3) - √(2-√3)]² = 2, and that's really what you need to prove since if that is true, the first line must be true.

Start with the LHS^2

LHS^2=(√(2+√3) - √(2-√3))(√(2+√3) - √(2-√3))
=√(2+√3) [√(2+√3) - √(2-√3)] - √(2-√3)[√(2+√3) - √(2-√3)]
= √(2+√3)√(2+√3) - √(2+√3)√(2-√3) - √(2-√3)√(2+√3) + √(2-√3)√(2-√3)
= 2 + √3 - √[(2+√3)(2-√3)] - √[(2-√3)(2+√3)] + 2 - √3
= 2 + √3 - √(4-3) - √(4-3) + 2 - √3
= 2 + √3 - 1 - 1 + 2 - √3
= 4 - 2
= 2 = RHS^2

So by square rooting both sides, you get back to LHS = RHS, and you're done :smile:....I think :p:

--------------

It's just basically knowing basic surd laws i.e. root (ab) = (root a)(root b) and knowing the difference of two squares, and expanding a lot of brackets. It's not the nicest of questions, never seen it asked before though, where's the question from?
LHS² = 2+√3 - 2√(2+√3)√(2-√3) + 2 - √3

= 4 - 2√[(2+√3)(2-√3)]

and expand out under the square root to give LHS² = 4-2 = 2 = RHS²
Reply 5
Malik
Thats what I thought straight way, but I am having difficulties doing LHS², not really sure how to treat it.
Can you expand it for me?

I know I'm multiposting quite a bit now lol, but the best way to treat anything like this is just to work through it slowly, that way you make far fewer mistakes.
Reply 6
Thanks gav owe you one, must taken a while to type out. I was afraid it might be quite messy, and It seems i was right.

Its from a Maths AEA paper and its only part(a) :redface: .
Reply 7
..unless of course you're Kaiser Mole and are just plain quick to see things like this :p: lol

--------------

Malik
Thanks gav owe you one, must taken a while to type out. I was afraid it might be quite messy, and It seems i was right.

Its from a Maths AEA paper and its only part(a) :redface: .

In which case they'd be probably looking to see if you could spot a quicker way, like I didn't :p: ... wasn't really difficult to type out, just did a lot of copying and pasting since it all looks the same anyway :smile:
I haven't posted on maths forums much for a while now, very odd, just eager to write some equations down again :p:
Reply 9
KAISER_MOLE
I haven't posted on maths forums much for a while now, very odd, just eager to write some equations down again :p:

lol spoken like a true Mathematician!
Reply 10
ok ... so lets look at the LHS, I will make it =2.
LHS^2=[√(2+√3)-√(2-√3)]^2 ...consider (a+b)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2
= [2+√3]-[2√(2-√3)√(2+√3)]+[2-√3] ...now...√a√b=√ab...middle bit
=4-[2√(2-√3)(2+√3)]
=4-[2√(4-3)]
=4-2
=2 as required

--------------

erff sorry i'm a bit drunk... oh well too slow.
Malik
lol spoken like a true Mathematician!

:p: trying to get back on the good stuff!
By proving (LHS)²=(RHS)² doesn't prove the identity, otherwise -2=2 e.g.?
Reply 13
wacabac

I was thinking of it more the lines of

(LHS)²=(RHS)²
±2=±2
wacabac

Yes it does as the LHS is obviously positive
Proof of LHS being Positive;

LHS
Tomorrow is going to be fantastic
Ok fair point, I shouldn't have been so quick to jump to that conclusion *slaps wrist*. Is there no other way of showing it apart from squaring both sides?
Reply 17
log both sides then times both sides by two :biggrin:

--------------

lol geeky maths joke :wink:
KAISER_MOLE
Proof of LHS being Positive;

Neat - Would rep you KM :biggrin: but I need to spread more green around first :rolleyes:

Latest