The Student Room Group

Resolution 11/04 Concerning the famine in the Horn of Africa.

Resolution 11/04 Concerning the famine in the Horn of Africa.

Committee: Economic Committee, Humanitarian Committee
Proposed by: Arab Republic of Egypt, Federal Republic of Nigeria

The General Assembly,

Aware of the current tragedy facing Somalia
Deeply Concerned by the mass movement of refugees across the horn of Africa.
Further concerned by reports of armed or militant groups hoarding food and attacking civilians.
Recognizes the huge efforts being made by Kenya to rehabilitate said refugees.

1. Urges AU countries to aid Kenya and neighbouring countries in supporting refugees.
2. Requests that AU countries that are able and capable to send peace keeping police units or troops to the borders of Somalia.
3. Further requests that other countries contribute to an emergency aid fund which will total $500 million, with potential for a further $800 million should the famine continue into next year.

[OOC: Many thanks to jakemittle (Nigeria) for rewriting some points and formatting this correctly for me :smile: ]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
China is immidiately sending $100 million dollars to the fund plus some $10 millon in food as a direct aid to the horn of Africa.
Thank for you your support China
On consultation of Parliament the UK has also decided to contribute USD 100m.
Reply 4
The Islamic Republic of Iran will pledge $50 million in aid to the fund and $20 million worth of food to the horn of Africa.
Reply 5
Vietnam pledges $8 million in aid :smile:
Reply 6
Egypt thanks China, the UK, Iran and Vietnam for their generous donations.

Egypt will be pledging around $20 million in aid to the fund and around $5 million in food aid. Unfortunately should this famine continue into the next year Egypt may also be affected and our support will have to be lowered.
I've just noticed that Tenbinza started this poll. Isn't the SG supposed to kick off the voting polls?
Reply 8
Well that is what charter is saying :biggrin:, but sincr this one is propperpy formated you can let this one go along :biggrin:
Reply 9
Italy recognises the concerns raised within this thread, the recent events in Africa are deeply worrying. However, we are struggling financially, the EBC bond buying process has resulted in Italy yielding above 6 pct, nearly 7. These costs have been called "unsustainable" by experts.

We cannot promise large amounts of donations during this time, for this reason I cannot vote unless further funds are made available.

Edit: I'd like to further add, if the European Central Bank lifts pressure off of Italy and more funds are accessible via the sales of paper, Italy may be able to contribute a substantial sum to this crisis, until then it is not possible for me to comment further on this situation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by terza021
Well that is what charter is saying :biggrin:, but sincr this one is propperpy formated you can let this one go along :biggrin:

I agree, I think seeing as it's already started and some way along I'll let it slide :cool:

ooc: ooooooohhhh yyyeeeaaahhhhhh :biggrin: :biggrin: : ooc

Original post by M1F2R3
Italy recognises the concerns raised within this thread, the recent events in Africa are deeply worrying. However, we are struggling financially, the EBC bond buying process has resulted in Italy yielding above 6 pct, nearly 7. These costs have been called "unsustainable" by experts.

We cannot promise large amounts of donations during this time, for this reason I cannot vote unless further funds are made available.

Edit: I'd like to further add, if the European Central Bank lifts pressure off of Italy and more funds are accessible via the sales of paper, Italy may be able to contribute a substantial sum to this crisis, until then it is not possible for me to comment further on this situation.

Nigeria understands this, and hops the situation concerning your debt will improve.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jakemittle
ooc: ooooooohhhh yyyeeeaaahhhhhh :biggrin: :biggrin: : ooc

Nigeria understands this, and hops the situation concerning your debt will improve.

Italy thanks Nigeria for understanding our position, Nigeria knows full well that we will do our up most to contribute to this epidemic affecting so many lives.
Reply 13
OOC: Yes T_C (thats creepy), I posted this, then read the charter and noticed that you were supposed to do it, sorry about that :smile:.
Original post by Tenbinza
OOC: Yes T_C (thats creepy), I posted this, then read the charter and noticed that you were supposed to do it, sorry about that :smile:.

No worries, it happens :cool:
Reply 15
Malta will help as it can and pledges 5 million dollars to help with the famine.
Reply 16
Latvia too sends it's deep sympathies and thoughts to the starving and poor of East Africa and immediately sends a further 5 million dollars of International Aid to the UN Food Program and a direct 1 million to South Sudan for immediate relief and structural budget. Latvia will be ready to make an addition to the EU Aid Package that Latvia will campaign for but this. Latvia like Italy is undergoing serious budgetary problems and the Eurozone problems pose risks to Latvia's economy.
Russia will match the UK and offer US$100m in aid with a possible increase to US$120m in the near future.
Reply 18
Egypt thanks Russia, Malta and Latvia for their donations.

Egypt calls upon the rich nations of France, Germany, the USA and Japan to make donations, as it believes that if these four countries did so we would almost have reached our target funds for immediate relief. Egypt understands that all of these countries are facing economic difficulties but they are nothing compared to the now daily conditions of tens of millions of people who have nothing. Please donate what you can.

OOC:

Original post by sandys1000

Original post by Ethereal
USA please :smile:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Why have I been quoted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending