The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Many universities allow you to take a year out in industry between your second and third (or third and fourth) year anyway, even if on a standard 'Computer Science' course. Don't forget you can also get industrial experience during the summer on placements.

From the top of my head, I *think* the code for my course was G400 - it might have changed by now though. God knows how I remember that if it's correct :smile:
Reply 2
G401 for BSc courses or G461 for MEng courses is usually CS w/ a year in industry
Reply 3
For straight comp science the code is G400.
Reply 4
emilo
hey...
What CS course are you all applying for/studying?
Anybody applied to "CS with Industrial Exp." or "Computing Science with Industrial Placement"?? whats the difference/advantage/disadvantage to just "Computer Science"? what is the UCAS code? is it an MEng course?
Is there a great difference between BSc and MEng CS?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Well I think people have answered your first question, but to answer the difference between a BSc and an MEng, the BSc course (in England) will be 3 years as opposed to 4 years for an MEng. Many MEng courses also have a bit more of a "management" spin to them than BScs, though this varies from course to course and is usually to do with them being accredited and therefore having certain requirements for professional study set out by the BCS or IEE or similar.
Jenn xx
Reply 5
hey thanks for the replies :smile:
does anybody know what the differences between G400 and G401 or G402/G403/G404/ .. are? it seems to differ from uni. to uni. or are there real differences in the course?
thanks again :wink: and Happy New Year to you all!!
Reply 6
The difference between G400 and G401 is usually just the type of degree I think - ie. G400 = B* and G401 = M*.

Don't know about the others. There are a lot of them :P
Reply 7
From a quick look at the UCAS site, there doesn't seem to be any particularly blatant difference between the course codes and they are used for different things at different universities! Most G400s seemed to be 3 year BSc Computer Science or Computing, but you need to look at the specific institutions to know what the course code means in that particular place.
Jenn xx
Reply 8
computer science with industrial experience is G401 and normal comp sci is G400 mostly i think G401 is a BSc

Latest

Trending

Trending