The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What's so bad about Warwick's campus?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by danmart1n
I can honestly say I have never come across either of those names in my Warwick life (only a year) :smile:

Walsgrave = the Hospital where we have a bit for research. I am going there next week to get licensed to play with human brains. Teehee.

Wellesbourne = Formerly HRI, part of the School of Life Sciences. Now being rented out to various other companies, with some SLS people still down there for the time being, and the new Crop Centre.

I wonder if there are other obscure satellites that I don't know about...
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by iwantcheese5

Warwick seems to have far too much money...they're constantly upgrading campus...the new accommodation block looks epic.

Warwick does seem to have a lot of money compared to other universities. The library is one of the best stocked I've come across (apart from Oxford) and now I'm at Sheffield I'm constantly having to get friends at Warwick to download journal articles for me as Warwick has the subscriptions and Sheffield doesn't (despite Warwick not doing the subject I am doing my masters in)

I miss all the outdoor space at Warwick. Sitting outside having lunch breaks in summer and playing rounders etc on Rootes field (what's left of it!)
Reply 42
I actually quite liked it. I thought it had a better feel to it and didn't feel particularly averse to the architecture. That may have something to do with coming from London though. I chose it over Durham, even though it's better for my subject, because of the feel I got. Ultimately, it's so subjective that you just have to go and see it and make your own mind up.
Original post by A level Az
Yeah it is pretty ugly to be honest...it's hardly got the looks of Imperial, or Nottingham, or Royal Holloway UOL, though of course it's got a much better reputation than the latter.

What part of Imperial are you talking about? Sure, some parts of Imperial look amazing, but the Maths department is very brutalist.

I looked round Warwick this afternoon, and I thought it was absolutely lovely. Sure, the nice weather probably helped a lot - but there were certainly no 'monstrosities'.
I spent a few hours today on the Warwick campus and it's not just not ugly, it's beautiful:lovedup::lovedup::lovedup:

The buildings look clean and fresh, there are beautiful trees and plants and grassy areas everywhere, and ponds and lakes with loads of ducks on. The worst buildings are only bland and the best are really funky. The SU is AMAZING and I love the fact that there's a campus tea shop! I walked through the Arts Centre and down by Rootes Residences and Bluebell, along by the lakes and some of the other residences and finally into Academic Square where Maths and Statistics are. I always knew I wanted to apply to Warwick but now I'm frankly in love and I have to go!!
Reply 45
To the north is Tile Hill, which is a low-density suburb. To the south is Gibbet Hill (south of 'Gibbet Hill Campus' I mean which is quite posh. To the east is tescos and Canley which is basically like the outside of any city. It's only to the west you have fields, and it's not particularly farmery because you soon reach Kenilworth in that direction.
Original post by Black Douglas
i heard student life in leamington spa is ok, though

even if the campus is ugly, brutalistic etc - which i am sure is overblown, isn't it true that second and third year students live off campus in leamington spa or coventry which are probably quite nice places and only 30 minutes away?
Reply 47
Campus is quite awesome some complaints which I had were-
Tesco is so far away :frown: - that's a pain
Costcutters is evil
Lakeside students moan a lot about the distance
Learning Grid and Maths department should have been closer to central campus :P
Original post by joy12
Costcutters is evil

That would be one of the advantages of living in Westwood; Zeeman, the learning grid, and Tesco aren't too far away. I do feel sorry for those who have class in Gibbet Hill, however.
Couldn't care less about the architecture. It's a field in the middle of nowhere though, yes I have visited. I'm sure you can tell from my choices that that's not the kind of uni I want to go to, even though it is apparently dead good for my subject
just stay inside all the time
Reply 51
Original post by powermanchu
That would be one of the advantages of living in Westwood; Zeeman, the learning grid, and Tesco aren't too far away. I do feel sorry for those who have class in Gibbet Hill, however.

Don't feel too bad, it's quite nice. Got our own library and cafe.
Original post by joy12
Costcutters is evil

Tesco is a maximum of 15 minutes away, and for a superstore that's not bad! I don't see why the Costcutter is evil, they often have ben and jerries for half price :cookie: I've probably talked to one student who mentioned living at Lakeside and he never mentioned distance, but it seems quite a few people in Rootes don't see many Lakeside students... Not sure about the Maths department, it's still close but it covers quite a large area so having it smack bam in the middle of campus just isn't viable; lots of universities require students to travel far further to study. The learning grid again is pretty much a 5-10 minute walk away max from Rootes. I get the feeling that you've talked to some very lazy people!

Personally I enjoy the walk to Gibbet Hill campus in the morning :smile:
Original post by equatorial iceman
even if the campus is ugly, brutalistic etc - which i am sure is overblown, isn't it true that second and third year students live off campus in leamington spa or coventry which are probably quite nice places and only 30 minutes away?

definitely visit the place before making any decision, the overall look and atmosphere is not for everyone. could by quite a shock otherwise.
Original post by equatorial iceman

The campus is not the problem, it's the fact that you have to commute from Coventry or leamington spa
Reply 55
Original post by Zweihander
Why would you pick which university you go to based on the architecture? :facepalm2:

Being able to feel happy and at ease in your surroundings in order to be productive perhaps? I trust you would be happy studying at Oxbridge if it was based on Tottenham high road?
Reply 56
Original post by Black Douglas
The campus is not the problem, it's the fact that you have to commute from Coventry or leamington spa

This is a big one I think. It's not a good commute.
I like the campus, it's easily the best thing about Warwick. Esp since I do a Maths based course, and the Maths building/ area is all lovely and new, with trees lining a pond with fountains outside...
The constant development on campus is nice in that you get lots of lovely new buildings but it does mean there's nearly always a construction site somewhere on campus...
Original post by iwantcheese5
The constant development on campus is nice in that you get lots of lovely new buildings but it does mean there's nearly always a construction site somewhere on campus...

any idea what that building near Maths & Stats is gonna be for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending