The Student Room Group

what modules have you studied at A-levels?

hey :smile:

In september I start my AS history course. The AS course (edexcel) includes modules on Russia and the reformation of the church. How much detail do you go into on the AS course and how much work is there i.e writing essays, notes discussion. Also i'm interested what other things people have studied at A-levels for history :smile:
I did OCR - AS: Germany 1933-63 and Henry VIII-Mary I; A2: Russian Revolutions and Tudor Rebellions.

There will be essays - they're excellent practice for exams. ALWAYS try your best in them and listen to your feedback. For the next essay, get all previous feedback out and read through it before, during and after your essay. If you get feedback about narrative (I used to always get this!), just try to argue more - worked for me!

And for coursework: always, always, always try your hardest and keep working at it - don't give up just before the last hurdle!

Reading around the subject can help massively - you'll read repeated phrases, hear the same facts in a different manner and pick up extra information to show off with. Ask your teachers for more advice on the books to read.

AS for the detail - that depends on the course. Obviously the time span you're trying to cover will give an indication of depth - you only have a year to cover those years. However, the time you have for history AS in class means that it won't be a huge depth.
(edited 12 years ago)
I did AQA: AS- Russia and Germany 1871-1914; Conqueror and Conquest- Britain 1060-1087
A2- Britain 1951-2007 and Wars of the Roses(CW)

I would also emphasise the importance of essay practice as a tool for exam preparation and the need to stay motivated through CW. Level of depth is much greater than at GCSE and reading round the subject will be advantageous, as will any oppurtunities for dscussion. I would definitely recommend making your own notes, even if you get hnd outs, as this will help you to boil down the information to the most important bits and help you remember it
AS: Tudors, Civil Rights in America, Vietnam and Korean War
A2: Romans cswk, Kaiser to Furhrer.
Reply 4
We were on Edexcel and we studied: US Civil Rights and Stalin's Russia for unit one which was entitled 'Communism and Democracy'. For unit two we studied Mass Media and Social Change since 1945 for unit two (sourcework).

Unit one: you will be given two questions both worth 30 marks. There is an emphasis on essay writing. You need to be able to form an argument according to the question, debate and consider the view alternatively, analyse facts and its significance etc. If you have a good teacher, they will ensure you can do those questions by doing practise questions and offering you feedback. Despite being against communism, I found Stalin's Russia interesting, he truly was a nasty piece of work! You do not go into that much detail considering the demand of 4 A-Levels and studying two parts to unit 1. Your teacher will teach you everything you need to know for the exam.

I was disappointed with unit two (Mass Media and Social Change since 1945). The earlier years were interesting, however we were learning about the Royal Family and the internet, that's not really history! However, it's more to do with how you can deal with sources. On Edexcel you'll receive a number of sources and two questions. Question one is compulsory and worth 20 marks, where as the second question will offer you a choice and will be worth 40 marks. The same rules apply, that you need to be able to write well/analyse/apply knowledge/form an argument etc.

We've started our A2 course and we're studying France in Revolution and our coursework is Industrial Relations from 1879 until 1980.

Good luck and I hope this has cleared things up for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending