The Student Room Group

if u go to king edwards college stourbridge, what gcse grades did u have to get in?

Im thinking about going to king Edwards college stourbridge, i know what gcse grades u need to be considered for a place, but realistically what grades do you actullay need to get in, and if you got accepted then with what grades?
I hope to do maths, further maths, physics and design and technology at A-Level.
Furthermore I live in Birmingham, Edgbaston; will that affect my chances of getting in?
P.S Are there any engineering related enrichment courses available at the school? If yes, what are they?

my predicted grades are as follows:

English lit: A
English Lang: A
Maths: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Resistant Materials: A*
Graphic Products: A*
Geography: A
R.E. A
German: C
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
it depends if you get those grades and to do a levels you need A in those subject you ill do mate and im going ther as well
Reply 2
I've applied there as well. To be honest, 6A*s is perfectly fine. Many say that Stourbridge isn't the hardest one to get into. Just make sure you actually get those grades!
I am applying to stourbridge; I am predicted 10 A's ; do you think I have a chance?:L
Reply 4
Original post by Marcusroye98
I am applying to stourbridge; I am predicted 10 A's ; do you think I have a chance?:L

Original post by lubsjk
I've applied there as well. To be honest, 6A*s is perfectly fine. Many say that Stourbridge isn't the hardest one to get into. Just make sure you actually get those grades!

I'm in Year 12 now. You really don't need tonnes of A's to be honest for King Eds. I got in with 5As, 3Bs, 2Cs and an AS level. Some of my friends got in with just B and C grades.

HOWEVER, Word of warning, it isn't as good as it makes out it is. I left there to go back to my school's sixth form, the teaching there is pretty bad, and there's surprisingly a lot of irritating people there. It is so cramped and its difficult to get about the corridors. I personally wouldn't recommend going there, unless you believe you are very, very intelligent. You can do very well there, but they will work you to death and sadly not a lot of people enjoy their time there. A lot of my friends who stayed there really want to leave, but have to stay due to their option choices. Still, some people are nice, and there are some good teachers there. Admin is bit intimidating though.

I went back to school, despite the fact I couldn't wait to leave in Year 11. However, it's brilliant, there's a strong social atmosphere, I can work hard and teachers respect and treat me like an adult. School sixth forms tend to feel privileged by having sixth formers and will do A LOT for them, especially when it comes to university. Sixth form colleges however, tend to make the students feel like they are privileged to be there and you are expected to do a lot for the reputation of the college.

Good luck with sixth form choices everyone. Where you go for sixth form will honestly have little effect on your grades, most of the work you do is outside the lesson. So don't let it stress you out :smile:
thanks, what subjects did you choose to study after GCSE's?
Reply 6
thanks, what subjects did you choose to study after GCSE's?

I did AS French last year (Year 11), and this year I'm doing AS Philosophy and Ethics, Spanish and Business Studies.

My original choice was Government & Politics, German, Modern History and Psychology, but because I changed sixth forms they changed.

What subjects do you want to take next year?
Biology,chemistry,geology and philosophy and ethics, how was the teacher for philosophy?
Reply 8
Original post by serebro
I'm in Year 12 now. You really don't need tonnes of A's to be honest for King Eds. I got in with 5As, 3Bs, 2Cs and an AS level. Some of my friends got in with just B and C grades.

HOWEVER, Word of warning, it isn't as good as it makes out it is. I left there to go back to my school's sixth form, the teaching there is pretty bad, and there's surprisingly a lot of irritating people there. It is so cramped and its difficult to get about the corridors. I personally wouldn't recommend going there, unless you believe you are very, very intelligent. You can do very well there, but they will work you to death and sadly not a lot of people enjoy their time there. A lot of my friends who stayed there really want to leave, but have to stay due to their option choices. Still, some people are nice, and there are some good teachers there. Admin is bit intimidating though.

I went back to school, despite the fact I couldn't wait to leave in Year 11. However, it's brilliant, there's a strong social atmosphere, I can work hard and teachers respect and treat me like an adult. School sixth forms tend to feel privileged by having sixth formers and will do A LOT for them, especially when it comes to university. Sixth form colleges however, tend to make the students feel like they are privileged to be there and you are expected to do a lot for the reputation of the college.

Good luck with sixth form choices everyone. Where you go for sixth form will honestly have little effect on your grades, most of the work you do is outside the lesson. So don't let it stress you out :smile:

Thanks for the post! It has really made me think twice about going there. I've heard quite a lot of bad things about KE Stourbridge which has made me want to go to one of the KE sixth forms instead. May I ask what subjects you have chosen? I heard that they have a really good Maths department but that's about it :/

And what do you mean by 'irritating people' because that worried me a little. Are the pupils arrogant?
Reply 9
Original post by lubsjk
Thanks for the post! It has really made me think twice about going there. I've heard quite a lot of bad things about KE Stourbridge which has made me want to go to one of the KE sixth forms instead. May I ask what subjects you have chosen? I heard that they have a really good Maths department but that's about it :/

And what do you mean by 'irritating people' because that worried me a little. Are the pupils arrogant?

No problem. I think the best thing you can do is apply pretty much everywhere you can. It's easy to do and you can keep all your options open. Just let it mull over in your head, you've got till next September before you have to make a real choice.

I cannot speak for the maths department, but my friend who is still there thinks maths is quite good, but she isn't so pleased with art or IT. There's been a lot of unexpected absences by the staff, leaving the students clueless on what to do.

Well, when I went to King Eds I was hoping to meet likeminded people, as I was sick of the idiots of secondary school. There are some nice people there, but many people stick around with their old school friends, so you don't really integrate like it seems. It's difficult to explain, but people there tend to be kind of arrogant, whenever I'd meet someone in my classes they'd tell me all about their results and how well they did.

Classes are really large as well surprisingly. At my school, the AS class sizes vary from 5 to 15 in a classroom fit for 30, so it's comfortable and spacious. Meanwhile, at King Ed's there was about 25 people in my classes, and the rooms could only fit about 15 people in there.

All in all, I really wouldn't recommend KE Stourbridge, it promises so much but delivers very little. Its reputation and wide subject choice is the only reason why people tend to go there. Still, think things through and try to have a good look around if possible.
Reply 10
Biology,chemistry,geology and philosophy and ethics, how was the teacher for philosophy?

Well there's several. They aren't so bad, and my friend who is still at King Eds likes her Philosophy teacher. One of the chemistry teachers there is wild, but she's alright. Not sure about any of the others.

Philosophy and Ethics is a great subject choice by the way! Quite difficult as it's hard to get your head round some of the concepts, but it's really interesting and worthwhile.
I completed a GCSE in Religious Studies and Ethics in year 10 so by the time I start doing at AS level I will probarbly forget some of it :L
Reply 12
Original post by serebro
No problem. I think the best thing you can do is apply pretty much everywhere you can. It's easy to do and you can keep all your options open. Just let it mull over in your head, you've got till next September before you have to make a real choice.

I cannot speak for the maths department, but my friend who is still there thinks maths is quite good, but she isn't so pleased with art or IT. There's been a lot of unexpected absences by the staff, leaving the students clueless on what to do.

Well, when I went to King Eds I was hoping to meet likeminded people, as I was sick of the idiots of secondary school. There are some nice people there, but many people stick around with their old school friends, so you don't really integrate like it seems. It's difficult to explain, but people there tend to be kind of arrogant, whenever I'd meet someone in my classes they'd tell me all about their results and how well they did.

Classes are really large as well surprisingly. At my school, the AS class sizes vary from 5 to 15 in a classroom fit for 30, so it's comfortable and spacious. Meanwhile, at King Ed's there was about 25 people in my classes, and the rooms could only fit about 15 people in there.

All in all, I really wouldn't recommend KE Stourbridge, it promises so much but delivers very little. Its reputation and wide subject choice is the only reason why people tend to go there. Still, think things through and try to have a good look around if possible.

I've applied to quite a lot of places already (7 to be precise). I'm planning waiting for the induction days as (hopefully) they will give me a netter idea of what the colleges are like.

Thanks for this! It has really made me think carefully about where I should go.
Original post by Assassin8er
x

To answer your question, those grades are more than good enough and even if you underachieve a bit you will be fine. I did similar subjects to you (I'm in Year 13) and I live quite far away as well so you should be fine in that regard. As someone said it's rather different to school and perhaps your current school's sixth form (I wouldn't know, never been to sixth form). There's a lot of help available, daily workshops for all subjects are available during lunchtimes; I use the Maths and Physics ones to good effect. These are particularly helpful if you need any help on particular questions/topics and a teacher can deal with you one on one.

As mentioned the teachers do make you feel like you're privileged to be there but I don't find it that big of a deal, it's a decent college and if you work hard, as with anywhere, you'll do well.
Original post by lubsjk
I've applied to quite a lot of places already (7 to be precise). I'm planning waiting for the induction days as (hopefully) they will give me a netter idea of what the colleges are like.Thanks for this! It has really made me think carefully about where I should go.

Sorry but I go there now and I don't actually find any of that true, apart from that the history corridor is always blocked five minutes before lessons, however any non-idiot can just go down another corridor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by serebro

Not planning to go there,nor have i applied but i checked the website and their prospectus said they use technology to teach and pupils must bring laptops?Idk i cant remember,could you confirm?
Original post by mackendacker
Sorry but I go there now and I don't actually find any of that true, apart from that the history corridor is always blocked five minutes before lessons, however any non-idiot can just go down another corridor.

let's be honest tho the history specification at kedst is literally the worst there is
Original post by serebro

I know this is an old post ( that i happened on via a G. search), but if this was written in around 2013, it makes me quite sad. I was a student there in the late 80s, with many of the grammar school teachers from the 70s when it switched over, still there.

I am sorry to have to say I agree with everything you write. ( my emphasis in Bold)
It seems after 25 yrs, nothing has changed. Ok, you can wear jeans now, and don't have to wear a jacket and tie like the boys did, but it seems the atmosphere hasn't changed at all.

If you are A* A* A* A* material, and are good enough for Oxbridge, they will be all over you. Or if you play an instrument, or like to act, I think the Arts people enjoyed it more, back in the day, but those of us on the science and maths side had a pretty awful time.
They work you like a dog, and constantly tell you, you aren't good enough, and to try harder. This eventually in many students, puts you on a downer and you hate going there every day.

If you are an average student with average grades, hoping to go to an average university and get an average degree, then I would probably say, don't go there. They aren't interested in you. It seems that they still are obsessed with how many they can get into Oxbridge, or Medicine.

I went with 4 As and 4 Bs, and was so happy with those grades, but on my first day, I was sitting next to a guy who got 10 As, and his friend who also got 10 As. That was when I knew I had made a mistake in going there.

I really had hoped they had changed, but it seems not, which is a pity.
Original post by serebro

All in all, I really wouldn't recommend KE Stourbridge, it promises so much but delivers very little. Its reputation and wide subject choice is the only reason why people tend to go there.
Still, think things through and try to have a good look around if possible.

My emphasis in bold.
I agree with everything you say.
In my day, quite a few of the real 'swots' looked down on us 'average-Joes' !
I remember in my chemistry class, there were 3 or 4 guys who were clever and going for Medicine, but only because they could. They had terrible, arrogant personalities, and it's a pity they managed to talk the talk to get a place to be a Dr.

I recall quite a bit of verbal bullying, I suppose you would call it these days, on being made to feel stupid by some of the teachers, and also some of the students. And yes, it can be hard to integrate if you aren't in the main feeder schools.
So, even after nearly a decade of your original post, and my own experience of 35 yrs ago, it seems not much has changed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending