The Student Room Group

Am I sweating my arse over nothing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hockeyjoe
80 ucas points?... why are you going to uni?
Think of it like this..if you get rejected, you've just got four years of your life back.

Why's that? I'm hoping to move on to a proper degree if it works out..Don't see the problem it's only one year doing prepatory stuff
Original post by i.am.lost
Reneging on a written contract is pretty illegal...

But there is no contract until you've got there and signed on. You aren't obliged to go and they're not obliged to take you, but they won't not because it destroys the UCAS system if they do and they benefit from UCAS.
Reply 22
imo if the course asks for 80 ucas points, it's not even worth doing, employer would be more interested in 3 years of actual work and that route will leave you with plenty of money, university will leave you with a big fat debt
Reply 23
^^ As long as I get into a proper degree in year two I'm happy :smile:
You need to work harder on your A levels :pierre:
Reply 25
Original post by flowermaster91
You need to work harder on your A levels :pierre:

too late. I strayed off path and practically f***** about both years. Hopefully, this foundation course will give me a direct route to the real degree, if I'm right?
Original post by Hahn
too late. I strayed off path and practically f***** about both years. Hopefully, this foundation course will give me a direct route to the real degree, if I'm right?

Ahhh yh :sigh: well good luck for uni then bro :h:
Reply 27
There is not really any point in going to uni with those grades. Any degree you can get with 80 UCAS points is not going to be that useful. Are you just going to uni for the sake of it?
Reply 28
Original post by leela_lee
There is not really any point in going to uni with those grades. Any degree you can get with 80 UCAS points is not going to be that useful. Are you just going to uni for the sake of it?

If the foundation year allows you to move up to a real degree then surely its worth it? I'm also thinking of doing a chartered accountant course - so I should be alright
Reply 29
Original post by Hahn
If the foundation year allows you to move up to a real degree then surely its worth it? I'm also thinking of doing a chartered accountant course - so I should be alright

I don't know. I don't mean to judge, but you said you strayed during your A Levels, do you not think the same thing might happen again here? If I were you I would try doing the A Levels over again and improve the grades, then apply to uni. If you cannot cope with A Levels you won't cope with uni.

I just think there are too many people going into and coming out of uni with mediocre grades, and what is the point? If you're going to do something, do it properly.
Reply 30
Original post by leela_lee
I don't know. I don't mean to judge, but you said you strayed during your A Levels, do you not think the same thing might happen again here? If I were you I would try doing the A Levels over again and improve the grades, then apply to uni. If you cannot cope with A Levels you won't cope with uni.

I just think there are too many people going into and coming out of uni with mediocre grades, and what is the point? If you're going to do something, do it properly.

No, my GCSE's were top notch at school and I just, I dunno, managed to do badly because I started revision too late or didn't do enough.

In lessons I understood, but it was the work outside of class that was lacking.

Now I've realised how badly I f***** up, I'm motivated to put in 110% into the foundation course, but I want to know, can I move on to a proper degree if I do well?
Original post by Hahn
Why's that? I'm hoping to move on to a proper degree if it works out..Don't see the problem it's only one year doing prepatory stuff

ooohhhhh right i see now, sorry mate i apologise i misunderstood you..i thought they were asking for 80 UCAS points for a 4 year course. You just want the foundation year?
Reply 32
Original post by hockeyjoe
ooohhhhh right i see now, sorry mate i apologise i misunderstood you..i thought they were asking for 80 UCAS points for a 4 year course. You just want the foundation year?

Yeah mate :smile: No worries
Reply 33
I heard the foundation year is taught at local colleges but some people online say you can persuade your Uni to place you somewhere on Campus so you are prepared for Uni ?? Possible?
Reply 34
80 UCAS points?

lol.
Reply 35
I heard the foundation year is taught at local colleges but some people online say you can persuade your Uni to place you somewhere on Campus so you are prepared for Uni ?? Possible?
Reply 36
* Re: Am I sweating my arse over nothing?
If you've posted the same question twice and no-one's answered, it's likely no-one knows, so posting it a third time is completely pointless.
Original post by Hahn
* Re: Am I sweating my arse over nothing?

Kingston has several campuses which used to be colleges; it has no university vibe about it.
Reply 39
You can study a Foundation Degree at both Universities and Colleges.

I believe they are a great investment if you have not did so well in your A-levels; as they give you both academic and practical experience for that qualification which ultimately, combined with further study (An honours degree) will look good on your CV. I think a Foundation Degree lasts around 2 years, and once you have completed that, you will only need to study a further 1 or 2 years for the honours degree (I think it's just one year, though).

Here is a site to see which colleges/universities do what Foundation Degrees in the whole of the UK.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/Foundation-Degree-UK/qualification/A/list.html#

Need anymore help, just message me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending