Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who marks exams?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who marks cambridges papers?

And is it true that theres this awesome tradition for the exam results to be thrown from the rooftop by college professors? :O
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faro_a11)
    Who marks cambridges papers?
    Members of the department. I think PhD students, often.

And is it true that theres this awesome tradition for the exam results to be thrown from the rooftop by college professors? :O
    In the maths tripos, from the (indoor) balcony of Senate House.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Thanks for reminding me I need to watch that.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh God yes - the compulsory scientist-turn-cult-leader character (The 4400 had a better one in Jordan Collier, and recently on BBC Outcasts had one just as annoying). And I can't remember why she was the 'Harbinger of Death', maybe that was one of the plot-holes.

In Economics the papers were marked by our lecturers (i.e. Economics Fellows).
    Pretty sure the papers at least get a look-over by an external fellow as well though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faro_a11)
    For third and fourth year maths the results are read out and then thrown from the balcony inside senate house. The term "wooden spoon" also comes from the maths results: until 1909, one was given to the person with the lowest third.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    Pretty sure the papers at least get a look-over by an external fellow as well though.
    Yes, there's an external examiner as well (not sure how many papers they will look at though, I get the impression they're more of a moderator).
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    In law they get marked by the lecturers of the course and assessed by others who teach the course and external examiners.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    And in law, they won't throw your exam results from a rooftop. At least, mine have never been thrown...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For engineering it's all done by fellows, at least for first and second years. For fairness, the same person marks every single paper for each section :eek: (eg, Mr. Bob has to go through ~300x Thermo section A)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.