The Student Room Group

Cambridge International Applicants

I'm an international student with a conditional offer to do a medical subject at Cambridge. So I'm done with exams and waiting for results, but last night got an email from my college saying that the amount specified on the bank statement I sent is insufficient as "we require a bank statement with the FULL amount guaranteed for the duration of the course". With all my family's savings and the backing of a local scholarship, I can barely afford 2 years out of 6 as total costs for an international student like me is around 45,000 pounds per year...

I'm so upset. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'd go through any means to somehow finance my own way through this mess. But I can't help mentally preparing myself for letting go of my dream school due to money. Dunno if I'll meet my offer anyway, but I'd like to plan ahead to resolve the problem if I get in!

Please do offer me some advice! I couldn't thank you enough.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Email them directly and explain your situation. Oxbridge are extremely helpful when it comes to difficulties with financial matters from what I know.
My Fathers fiances daughter went to Cambridge and got herself into a huge amount of credit card debt (entirely her fault,she wanted to buy luxuries which she couldn't afford. Stupid ,Imo) however,the stress from her debts were having an impact on her work ethic and the quality of her work and her tutor noticed. A couple of months later,her debts were all cleared....miraculously.
I know that is a completely different situation but I'm just making the point that Oxbridge are very understanding with personal matters so perhaps it would be best contacting them as soon as possible.
Reply 2
Get a job now that you're on your holidays and get a loan.
Woah that is a lot of money, like someone said email them and see if they can work out a payment plan
Reply 4
I don't know where you're getting £45,000 a year from. International fees are about £16-17,000 per year, and I don't think most people manage to spend £30,000 each year on other things! Realistically you're looking at about £4-5,000 per year in total on top of fees, though you can easily reduce it if you budget well.

However, the simple fact of the matter is, British students pay for their university education above the home fees through taxes from their parents and on future earnings which you, presumably, have not and may well never contribute. So it is only fair that you will be expected to pay a certain amount above that. If you can't find that money from somewhere, then I'm afraid you can't expect to be educated here, as much as I'm sure you'd love to be. It's the way the world works.

EDIT: Evidently I'm wrong about the international fees being as cheap, I didn't realise they were so much more expensive for medicine. Still, you shouldn't need £15,000 on top of it, though £10,000 less per year is probably as good as irrelevant in your case.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
£45,000 x 6 years = £270,000

you're going to spend all that on a degree? If that's not dedication then I don't know what is. :shock:

I think someone is exaggerating :mmm:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international/costs.html

"Overseas fees (per year) for students commencing in 2011–12:

Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (both Pre-Clinical and clinical training) -
£28,632" per year lol.

Reply 6
Original post by JaiiStarh
Email them directly and explain your situation. Oxbridge are extremely helpful when it comes to difficulties with financial matters from what I know.
My Fathers fiances daughter went to Cambridge and got herself into a huge amount of credit card debt (entirely her fault,she wanted to buy luxuries which she couldn't afford. Stupid ,Imo) however,the stress from her debts were having an impact on her work ethic and the quality of her work and her tutor noticed. A couple of months later,her debts were all cleared....miraculously.
I know that is a completely different situation but I'm just making the point that Oxbridge are very understanding with personal matters so perhaps it would be best contacting them as soon as possible.

They are, but the trouble is that the OP is an international, and since internationals aren't eligible for student loans, they have to provide proof that they'll be able to pay for the course (either via a scholarship or via personal funds). If they can't pay, they can't go, that's the deal - all that stuff you read about bursaries and them not wanting anyone to drop out because of hardship etc. only really applies to home students. So while I'm sure that the OP's prospective college will be very sympathetic, I'm afraid that sympathy is likely to stop just short of letting him/her do a hugely expensive course for free, because they're not a charity. Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I don't think there's much point in encouraging hopes which are bound to be dashed.:frown:
Reply 7
I know its an awesome opportunity as a prospective medic to study at cambridge, but £45,000 is simply taking the piss. That's like lower middle class annual salary in England. Just out of curiosity what grades are you likely to get in your A-levels or IB, also what country are you applying from?

You could try studying your medical course in your own country if there is one prestigious enough?

Perhaps try applying to another school in England with more affordable fees?

----------------------------------------------------------
PS. A dream deferred by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?
Reply 8
Original post by may2010
I'm an international student with a conditional offer to do a medical subject at Cambridge. So I'm done with exams and waiting for results, but last night got an email from my college saying that the amount specified on the bank statement I sent is insufficient as "we require a bank statement with the FULL amount guaranteed for the duration of the course". With all my family's savings and the backing of a local scholarship, I can barely afford 2 years out of 6 as total costs for an international student like me is around 45,000 pounds per year...

I'm so upset. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'd go through any means to somehow finance my own way through this mess. But I can't help mentally preparing myself for letting go of my dream school due to money. Dunno if I'll meet my offer anyway, but I'd like to plan ahead to resolve the problem if I get in!

Please do offer me some advice! I couldn't thank you enough.

Some colleges offer financial support to international students (through College Awards and funds from the Cambridge Overseas Trust). A friend of mine has 80% of his tuition covered by this. You can ask your college if they can provide you a financial support package that would suit your needs. Good luck!
Original post by hobnob
They are, but the trouble is that the OP is an international, and since internationals aren't eligible for student loans, they have to provide proof that they'll be able to pay for the course (either via a scholarship or via personal funds). If they can't pay, they can't go, that's the deal - all that stuff you read about bursaries and them not wanting anyone to drop out because of hardship etc. only really applies to home students. So while I'm sure that the OP's prospective college will be very sympathetic, I'm afraid that sympathy is likely to stop just short of letting him/her do a hugely expensive course for free, because they're not a charity. Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but I don't think there's much point in encouraging hopes which are bound to be dashed.:frown:

Yes they are. That is exactly what they are.
if you cant afford it you cant go simples
Reply 11
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes they are. That is exactly what they are.

:rolleyes:
I'm sure you know what I meant. There may well be grants or scholarships which the OP could apply for even now (as Omio has indicated), but that's it. They won't simply waive fees for overseas medicine students out of sheer boundless generosity.
Reply 12
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
£45,000 x 6 years = £270,000

you're going to spend all that on a degree? If that's not dedication then I don't know what is. :shock:

I think someone is exaggerating :mmm:

Hi guys

Thanks for the HELPFUL and thoughtful replies!

Just so you know. Indeed, tuition is 28,000 pounds, but with college fees and some sort "maintenance fees" added together it amounts to 45,000 pounds for me. Do you think I would be joking if I were so frustrated? I applied to Cambridge because I have tremendous respect and excitement for joining its veterinary course, and my familiy didn't predict that college fees would be so expensive. It's hard for me to put down this dream so it is rather offending that you may think I exaggerate. For an international student it is ridiculously over-priced though.
Rob a bank or even better open one
Original post by La Folie
£45,000 is simply taking the piss. That's like lower middle class annual salary in England.

In which England is that a lower middle class salary?
Reply 15
If you are an international student and you apply for the top subjects at the top unis you should expect large fees, especially since it is outlined online. If you cannot work out this very simple figure then maybe you aren't cut out to be a vet.

Original post by La Folie
but £45,000 is simply taking the piss. That's like lower middle class annual salary in England.

That is just under twice the lower middle class salary
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by may2010
Hi guys

Just so you know. Indeed, tuition is 28,000 pounds, but with college fees and some sort "maintenance fees" added together it amounts to 45,000 pounds for me. Do you think I would be joking if I were so frustrated? I applied to Cambridge because I have tremendous respect and excitement for joining its veterinary course, and my familiy didn't predict that college fees would be so expensive. It's hard for me to put down this dream so it is rather offending that you may think I exaggerate. For an international student it is ridiculously over-priced though.

You must be crazy at £45,000 per year to even be considering going to university. With the money you spend on a degree you could be investing elsewhere. The property market for example. I wouldn't pay more than £50,000 for a degree, never mind £270,000.

Why not move to the UK for a few years, become a British citizen and then apply getting loans and so on. Okay, it'll put your education on hold but surely you'd rather that than paying almost 1/3 of a million pounds for a degree.
Reply 17
Original post by fwed1

That is just under twice the lower middle class salary

Indeed. Blows my mind when you phrase it like that.
Original post by may2010
Hi guys

Unless you plan on travelling home regularly and living in really expensive accommodation I don't see why it would cost you £17,000 per year to live. I go to uni in London and have been just fine with £8000, with plenty of money left to go out, buy clothes etc.!
Hmmm. That is a heck of a lot of money to become a Vet. Unfortunately a vets salary, whilst ok, is not exactly great and I would not want to service a loan of that size on said pay. Don't get me wrong, choosing a profession just for a large pay check is not always wise .... but I would not want to be in debt to the tune of 7 times my annual salary for anything other than a mortgage ..

Latest

Trending

Trending