The Student Room Group

Social Work Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

i like trouser suits too! and don't worry about the age thingy n being pulled on your lack of understanding due to age etcetc...they will be penalised for that. it's not for anyone (regardless of age) to make judgements on suitability. that's the job of the assessors.
certainly i'm a mature student and wouldn't have done what they did! never forget, you made the sift, so the uni thought you have understanding enuff to be there in the first place! sod em.

fingers crossed for u and let us know how ya got on chick!

and no scottish uni's tend not to interview. they tend to send work instead. that work gets put to a panel and if u get thru then, they either make an offer/reject OR ask for interview if they think you don't have enuff exp. strath do this. the only uni that i know of (out the ones i applied to) that just do straight interview is UWS.
the rest all ask essay style questions and go by that. good in one way cos i'm crap at interviews. bad in another cos if the essay isn't written well enuff u don't get to show knowledge 'on the day' as u do interviews.

much prefer essay's tho! if i had to choose.
Original post by socialworkertobe
I scenairo 1, they were all pretty similar and I thought it was tough to keep within the word count as there was so much I wanted to say! I don't think everyone would have heard back from Stirling yet. I think it would have been the same as Strathclyde regarding the closing date and you get x amount of time to do it. I'm sure you'll hear from them soon. Think positive thoughts :biggrin:

How did your interview go? Do you know when you will hear back from them? Did you feel nervous? I'm hoping I don't need to go to any interviews as I know I'll fall to pieces! I've applied to Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian, Dundee, Stirling and Robert Gordon. I've heard from two of them requesting additional essays. That's about it at the moment but no news is good news :smile:

I know Baillieston, it's about 10 miles from where I am! It's about 5 miles from Glasgow city centre so it's really handy. PM me if you'd like any info on the area, I'd be happy to help :smile:

I managed to get the Stirling questions sent off today, I'm so glad to have it all done now!!

LMx

cheers swtb. i'll most def PM you cos i wanna know what the area is like. seems ok but, could always do with confirmation.
Original post by emtem93
I was very nervous :frown: I think it went ooookkk though. Should know by Wednesday, hopefully it'll be ok. There was loads of mature students (40 years old) who, in the group interview found it acceptable to rip us young ones to shred. Saying we have no life experience and don't know what confidentiality is etc, so yeh, that kind of knocked me back.
Do none of yours require interviews then? :smile:

Oh my goodness that's terrible. I really feel for you hun :hugs: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. As ashtoreth said, they will be penalised for this not you!!

Original post by ashtoreth
cheers swtb. i'll most def PM you cos i wanna know what the area is like. seems ok but, could always do with confirmation.

I've pm'd u, I hope it's worked :smile:

LMx

Has anyone who applied to scottish unis heard anything yet?
for anyone that's not heard from stirling yet. i've just received their 2nd stage stuff in the post. so keep your eyes on your letterbox :smile:
Reply 45
nah am cool ty, em. tho i really appreciate the offer! i've only applied to scottish uni's and they have a different process regards selection :smile:

am a mature student and at college presently. thanks for the GL tho, cos i reckon i'm gonna need ALL i can get!:colondollar:

tell us how u got on when u get chance, chick. and what did u end up wearing?:biggrin:

It was bad news :frown: Urgh. Ey well! Got 4 more to rely on I guess, just a knock to the confidence since it was my first one :frown:
for anyone that's not heard from stirling yet. i've just received their 2nd stage stuff in the post. so keep your eyes on your letterbox :smile:

Lucky you!! My patience is really being tested by the scottish uni's, wish one would get back to me!!
:console: em...don't be down. we're all gonna be getting knock backs. thems the breaks, yannow? just remember it only takes ONE place to accept you! try n concentrate on that.
appreciate what u mean regards the confidence knock but, ask for feedback asap and try an implement what they say into your next interviews.
it aint over yet, chick :smile:

katie, i'm certain sure u will hear too. as i said, would be surprising to get thru to strath an not the others.
remind me what scottish ones u applied to again pls? i forget:colondollar:

i don't expect to hear from dundee or GCU till after closing date in UCAS. i expect a rejection from strath cos i didn't take enuff time with the work. my mistake and fault, so not gonna cry about it.
the ppl i really wanna hear from are GCU. THAT'S the one that's gonna have me on ma KNEES crying and praying! lol
only reason i wanna go to em is cos they got a decent setup for mature students an i wanna feel at home for the next 4 yrs:colondollar:

*sigh* fingers crossed y'all. am trying my hardest to be upbeat too! majorly stressing just now cos of the assignments i gotta do as well as this thing for stirling now.
am kinda happy to not have heard from any of the others cos at this rate i may collapse into a puddle and be carted away a gibbering wreck:redface:
:console:

katie, i'm certain sure u will hear too. as i said, would be surprising to get thru to strath an not the others.
remind me what scottish ones u applied to again pls? i forget:colondollar:

i don't expect to hear from dundee or GCU till after closing date in UCAS. i expect a rejection from strath cos i didn't take enuff time with the work. my mistake and fault, so not gonna cry about it.
the ppl i really wanna hear from are GCU. THAT'S the one that's gonna have me on ma KNEES crying and praying! lol
only reason i wanna go to em is cos they got a decent setup for mature students an i wanna feel at home for the next 4 yrs:colondollar:

*sigh* fingers crossed y'all. am trying my hardest to be upbeat too! majorly stressing just now cos of the assignments i gotta do as well as this thing for stirling now.
am kinda happy to not have heard from any of the others cos at this rate i may collapse into a puddle and be carted away a gibbering wreck:redface:

I hope so!
I applied to strath, stirling, edinburgh and UWS, you?

Is gcu glasgow cali? I'm sure you'll get in!!
When do u think we'll hear from strath?
Is the stirling 2nd stage similar? Good luck with it I'm sure you'll do great!:smile:
Xxx
i applied to strath/GCU/stirling/Dundee and UWS.

2nd stage completed for strath (as u know) stirling up next. as i suspect it will be for u :biggrin:

UWS is now my insurance choice on a diff degree programme. i opted for a backup cos i didn't wanna see 5 rejections lol...figured if i can get a decent class degree and some lengthy work exp, i'll try the postgrad route (then again, that's highly competitve too!)

yet to hear from GCU (yep that's cali) and Dundee.

and GCU is the one i'm after. *sigh*

ps. just got an email from strath saying they've had my application back and it's gonna be forwarded shortly to the assessor but, i'd say about march is when we will hear back. going by the timescales on the bumph they sent us.

and lotsa good luck to you too, chick! and to us all!

:smile:

Oops. Sorry Katie, forgot to add. Yeah, Stirling stuff in same vein as strath.

And pls GOD lemme get rejected from them ALL but let GCU want me, or I may have to cry lol

*sigh* can I just say I'm a nervous wreck atm. Ty!

lol - right. I got an assignment to do. Time to crack on. Will look in later for a brk. Hang in there Katie! And everyone else too!:smile:
i applied to strath/GCU/stirling/Dundee and UWS.

2nd stage completed for strath (as u know) stirling up next. as i suspect it will be for u :biggrin:

UWS is now my insurance choice on a diff degree programme. i opted for a backup cos i didn't wanna see 5 rejections lol...figured if i can get a decent class degree and some lengthy work exp, i'll try the postgrad route (then again, that's highly competitve too!)

yet to hear from GCU (yep that's cali) and Dundee.

and GCU is the one i'm after. *sigh*

ps. just got an email from strath saying they've had my application back and it's gonna be forwarded shortly to the assessor but, i'd say about march is when we will hear back. going by the timescales on the bumph they sent us.

and lotsa good luck to you too, chick! and to us all!

:smile:

Aww, I done one diff degree course too! :smile:
I'm sure it'll work out with GCU! Do they do the second stage thing??

Did u literally just get the e-mail there? I sent mine away like over a month ago and heard nothing! Great!

Xx
Yep. Literally just got it whilst I was working.

Tbh both strath n GCU would be joint 1st for me but I know I've messed up the strath work, so most def expecting rejection there! And yes, GCU ask for a 1000 word essay. Same as most of em. Dreading that one! l

Good to hear u got insurance offer in hand too! I was dead relieved when I got mine but naturally I want SW and the insurance would be the longer route. Whatever it takes tho!

Grrrr tryin to use a smart fone with poor signal is crap!

That's great news that you've heard back from Stirling :biggrin: I did their 2nd stage questions last week and it definately felt a bit more relaxed that the Strathclyde stuff. Good luck!!
Original post by emtem93
It was bad news :frown: Urgh. Ey well! Got 4 more to rely on I guess, just a knock to the confidence since it was my first one :frown:

Sorry to hear the bad news :hugs: I know it's probably difficult at the moment but try and concentrate on the fact that you got to the interview stage as loads of people wouldn't have got that far so they clearly thought highly of you! You didn't have the best interview experience either so don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe it's a blessing that this all happened with the 1st interview and you can go onto the rest knowing that you'll be able to deal with anything they throw at you!! Have you heard from any other universities yet?
Original post by katiebrown20
Lucky you!! My patience is really being tested by the scottish uni's, wish one would get back to me!!

My patience is really being tested as well!! I was ok over Christmas but now that I know they are back to work I kepp checking Track expecting to see a rejection. Goodness knows what I'll be like after the closing date :confused:

LMx
That's great news that you've heard back from Stirling :biggrin: I did their 2nd stage questions last week and it definately felt a bit more relaxed that the Strathclyde stuff. Good luck!!

Sorry to hear the bad news :hugs: I know it's probably difficult at the moment but try and concentrate on the fact that you got to the interview stage as loads of people wouldn't have got that far so they clearly thought highly of you! You didn't have the best interview experience either so don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe it's a blessing that this all happened with the 1st interview and you can go onto the rest knowing that you'll be able to deal with anything they throw at you!! Have you heard from any other universities yet?

My patience is really being tested as well!! I was ok over Christmas but now that I know they are back to work I kepp checking Track expecting to see a rejection. Goodness knows what I'll be like after the closing date :confused:

LMx

cheers, SWTB! not looking forward to it, mind. plus gonna leave it for now. got an assignment due end of the week and i need to focus on that.
probably gonna be an all niter tonite, so i can re-draft before submission date.

know what u mean regards being more relaxed when u did the stirling ones too! i was a mess when i was doing strath's work, didn't help that i left it to the end and didn't help that i want an offer so much but, am kinda more calm now.

then again, i'm not. if u know what i mean lol...part of me is being all cool about it an hoping and thinking good things...only need ONE offer after all...but another part...my negative side... has got me crawling up the walls n back down again:mad:

used to think i was patient, until UCAS happened lol

desperately trying to keep on track with my present course instead of being sucked into this whole 'am i gonna get a SW place, or not' scenario- dunno if anyone else is feeling the same?
i've got so bad, i'm trying to work and i stop and stare off into space n start fretting lolol

ffs...glad when this is all over!

LMx

I'm just stressing because Stirling have started getting back to people!!:frown:
Reply 56
Has anyone who has applied at Leeds university heard anything yet?
Ive got an interview at Hull uni on 12th Jan (thursday) anyone got any tips?

Good luck to everyone btw :smile:
Original post by L2307
Has anyone who has applied at Leeds university heard anything yet?
Ive got an interview at Hull uni on 12th Jan (thursday) anyone got any tips?

Good luck to everyone btw :smile:

i haven't applied to leeds meself, L2307 but mebbe one of the others has.

altho this is mainly the thread for those applying to scottish uni's. not that i'm scottish mind lol...just have applied there. think that's the case for some of the others too :smile:

LOTSA luck to you for your interview tho! it's great that u are thru for 2nd stage! so far as tips are concerned. if u are a young sprog then don't let the older sprogs intimidate you as they did to Em...be yourself. be relaxed. be quietly confident. all hard to do but, do try :smile:
i believe they guage to see how u interact with others. how good your speaking AND listening skills are and do try an enjoy it...

main thing is tho, treat it like u would a job interview. i've assumed u have a group discussion but if not, and it's just a panel. have some questions ready to ask. research the programme and uni and show u know what they're about and that u are keen to go there.

as i said, just like a job interview. what u wearing on the day? what have your tutors advised?

the above is just how i'd treat it but i may be wrong...am sure the others will be able to advise u too!

you at school or college and where else u applied to? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
dundee are so slow its annoying? anyone heard about the questionaire yet?
All the Scottish unis are so slow! What unis have you applied to ehay5? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest