Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 157 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Dance with Dragons comes out tomorrow after a 6 year gap. Anybody picking it up? Has anybody else read this series? Is anybody currently reading through A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords or A Feast for Crows?

• 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going to read these soon. Heard nothing but good things.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently reading A Clash of Kings, almost finished it! These books are so engrossing, I've never read books with ~700+ pages so quickly!
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just ordered GoT and CoK, looking forward to making my way through them [=
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I presume this was named after the Robert Frost poem?

Some say the world will end in fire;
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've read them all, brilliant books! TV series was really awesome too. I ordered dance with dragons online so hopefully it'll arrive within the next few days because the suspense is killing me!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, have you read all the books yourself? If so, who are your favourite characters??
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    just starting book 4, is it as bad as the reviews say it is?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going to make a start, as previously mentioned I've heard only good. Also watched the TV series and it was brilliant as well.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ordered Game of Thrones...after all the good things I've heard about it, I can't wait :dance:

On the other hand, I'm hoping I haven't built it up so much that I'll be disappointed We'll see :teeth:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Not really, but (spoilers for those who haven't read books 1-3).....

Spoiler:
    Show

It's just a little slow. There is a lot of side story which I guess might play an important role at some point, but after the brilliant end to book 3, you just get impatient hearing about these random characters. I'm only about 1/3 of my way through it which after 2 weeks is completely unlike me.

Even with exams to revise for I got through the first few books in about 2 weeks, but I've just hit a wall with this one.

Anyway, I'm just refreshing my Kindle every few minutes in the vague hope that the book starts to download, it's gone midnight and it's still listed as a pre-order only :confused:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been waiting for 6 years to read this (started reading them when I was 11 in 2002, had only read Tolkein before... suffice to say I was SLIGHTLY shocked at all the gore and sex but in a good way )

Come on amazon! I AM SO PSYCHED!!!!
    • 157 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzzsleep)
    Just out of interest, have you read all the books yourself? If so, who are your favourite characters??
    POV: Tyrion
    Non-POV: The Hound

(Original post by LiberiFatali)
    Not really, but (spoilers for those who haven't read books 1-3).....

Spoiler:
    Show

It's just a little slow. There is a lot of side story which I guess might play an important role at some point, but after the brilliant end to book 3, you just get impatient hearing about these random characters. I'm only about 1/3 of my way through it which after 2 weeks is completely unlike me.

Even with exams to revise for I got through the first few books in about 2 weeks, but I've just hit a wall with this one.

[
    I didn't like book 4 as much so echo the general consensus. It's easily the weakest in the series. The first 3 books were fantastic and then we get a whole book with characters I'm not really interested in with little real plot progression IMO.

(Original post by LiberiFatali)
    Anyway, I'm just refreshing my Kindle every few minutes in the vague hope that the book starts to download, it's gone midnight and it's still listed as a pre-order only :confused:
    (Original post by zzzsleep)
    Yes I've read them all, brilliant books! TV series was really awesome too. I ordered dance with dragons online so hopefully it'll arrive within the next few days because the suspense is killing me!!!
    Any luck? Don't know whether to get the Kindle digital copy or the hard copy. I have all the previous ones as hard copies. :unsure:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread has just made me want to buy a Game of Thrones now. Will be back later once I've bought and read it, haha.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've watched the TV series- pure awesomeness. Went out and bought the books the other day. As soon as I've finished reading Dragon Age: The Calling, I'm gonna start on these, because they look amazing!
    • 157 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Going to make a start, as previously mentioned I've heard only good. Also watched the TV series and it was brilliant as well.
    (Original post by Jake200493)
    I've watched the TV series- pure awesomeness. Went out and bought the books the other day. As soon as I've finished reading Dragon Age: The Calling, I'm gonna start on these, because they look amazing!
    It's definitely worth starting at A Game of Thrones even if you have seen the TV series (which is essentially the first book), just in case you were wondering as I know some people have contemplated starting from A Clash of Kings.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    It's definitely worth starting at A Game of Thrones even if you have seen the TV series (which is essentially the first book), just in case you were wondering as I know some people have contemplated starting from A Clash of Kings.
    Yea, I always start from the first cos usually they leave out good stuff and side stories. But I think I'm going to pick it up, saw it for £5 in a few places in town.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just ordered from Amazon. I won't have the time to start reading it until September, most likely. I have to finish reading Book 4 (A Feast For Crows), and also a book called The Blade Itself that I started reading not too long ago. But oh yes, it shall be read!

I regret reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, in a way, as it's set the bar SO high for every other book out there. No other (fantasy) book I've read has come close to this series. I remember a scene in book 3 (I won't spoil it) that literally left me stunned. I put the book down and just sat there for 5 minutes thinking "Oh. My. God." No other book has had that impact on me, except for the ending of Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, perhaps. But that was different.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

It's the dullest in the series, but I liked the little greyjoy civil war since they're my favourite house.

Jealous at the people who picked up Dance on release day(I can't pick mine up until Saturday), suppose this will give me time to re-read books 2-4. So glad this series is getting the recognition it deserves.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading A Clash Of Kings.. I read A Game Of Thrones in about 3 days anything to keep me occupied until the next Dresden Files is out.

I REALLY liked the first book, and i'm a little while into the 2nd, and it's more of the same so far, which is fantastic. I'll probably order the next two books before I'm even done reading the 2nd; i'm pretty confident i'll be gasping for more by the time i'm finished

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 23, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.