Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay I have finished a Dance for Dragons and feel like I've been left disappointed. The first three books were some of the best I've ever read, but these last two books have been so tedious........

Spoiler:
    Show

The best pit of A Dance for Dragons only lasted a few lines for me, when in Jon's last chapter it looked like he would march south and meet Bolton in battle and I was getting really happy (the most happy I've been reading this book!) thinking that a Stark might be taking back Winterfell and then he gets stabbed He can't be dead though, no way. Should have taken Stannis's proposal.

The decreasing amount of Starks is annoying me, as they are really the only House I really care about and I think Jon might not get many chapters in the next book either to try and make us think he's dead and then the last chapter in the book will be him.

Daenerys didn't die The stuff across the sea is just crap, apart from Arya (:love:) who's definitely being trained into some kind of assassin.

There are too many storylines that I want to know about to stop me reading the series (Littlefinger/Sansa, Arya, Jaime/Brienne, Jon if he's alive, I think Rickon might be fairly important if Davos finds him and also Tyrion, I'd love for Cercei to go to Casterly Rock and then Tyrion comes to invade it :coma:) but the story progression is taking forever, in the last two books there have way too many pointless chapters (Brienne in AFfC, Daenerys and Bran's chapters in ADfD) and too many charcters I couldn't really give a crap about.

Will we ever find out more about Catelyn?

I really hope the books pick up again, this is the first book series I have properly read and it started of so well, I don't want it to finish like crap. What you basically need is a resurgence of the Stark household

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just consolidating on what I had read so far and was just thinking about how tragic most of the characters are in this series. Apart from A Game of Thrones which had some, I can think of hardly any feel good moments (well, for the characters that I care about most) in the rest of the books. The world that George RR Martin created is very cruel.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Subscribing as I noticed it on the front page. But won't read through the thread until I've caught up - currently I'm half way through a Feast for Crows, though I think a Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold was the best so far.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Okay I have finished a Dance for Dragons and feel like I've been left disappointed. The first three books were some of the best I've ever read, but these last two books have been so tedious........

Spoiler:
    Show

The best pit of A Dance for Dragons only lasted a few lines for me, when in Jon's last chapter it looked like he would march south and meet Bolton in battle and I was getting really happy (the most happy I've been reading this book!) thinking that a Stark might be taking back Winterfell and then he gets stabbed He can't be dead though, no way. Should have taken Stannis's proposal.

The decreasing amount of Starks is annoying me, as they are really the only House I really care about and I think Jon might not get many chapters in the next book either to try and make us think he's dead and then the last chapter in the book will be him.

Daenerys didn't die The stuff across the sea is just crap, apart from Arya (:love:) who's definitely being trained into some kind of assassin.

There are too many storylines that I want to know about to stop me reading the series (Littlefinger/Sansa, Arya, Jaime/Brienne, Jon if he's alive, I think Rickon might be fairly important if Davos finds him and also Tyrion, I'd love for Cercei to go to Casterly Rock and then Tyrion comes to invade it :coma:) but the story progression is taking forever, in the last two books there have way too many pointless chapters (Brienne in AFfC, Daenerys and Bran's chapters in ADfD) and too many charcters I couldn't really give a crap about.

Will we ever find out more about Catelyn?

I really hope the books pick up again, this is the first book series I have properly read and it started of so well, I don't want it to finish like crap. What you basically need is a resurgence of the Stark household

Spoiler:
    Show
    Bran's chapters in ADwD pointless? :eek: There were just a few and he's basically become GOD. Don't know if you have read the Theon chapter from the next book, you'll see Bran's becoming mighty important

I do agree about Dany though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Bran's chapters in ADwD pointless? :eek: There were just a few and he's basically become GOD. Don't know if you have read the Theon chapter from the next book, you'll see Bran's becoming mighty important

I do agree about Dany though.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah I did read the Theon chapter at the but the idea of Bran being a tree for the rest of his life isn't really exciting me If he has more flashbacks though (like the one he had of Ned), then his chapters will be pretty interesting because there are still quite a lot of unanswered questions (mainly Jon's mother) about the past, I'd be interested to know more about his sister that was 'kidnapped' etc.

I'm also hoping Rickon comes back crazy for blood but then you remember how old he is and either way I can't see it happening

And on another note has anyone found how light reading everything else is after you've read this series? I started on the Hunger Games a few days ago (only read like an hour a day) and I finished the book in the space of 5 hours.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah I did read the Theon chapter at the but the idea of Bran being a tree for the rest of his life isn't really exciting me If he has more flashbacks though (like the one he had of Ned), then his chapters will be pretty interesting because there are still quite a lot of unanswered questions (mainly Jon's mother) about the past, I'd be interested to know more about his sister that was 'kidnapped' etc.

I'm also hoping Rickon comes back crazy for blood but then you remember how old he is and either way I can't see it happening

And on another note has anyone found how light reading everything else is after you've read this series? I started on the Hunger Games a few days ago (only read like an hour a day) and I finished the book in the space of 5 hours.
    Yeah definitely, everything else seems quite simple and very easy to read now!

I'm on the 4th book at the moment and getting a bit bored, as nothing much seems to be actually happening...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Yeah definitely, everything else seems quite simple and very easy to read now!

I'm on the 4th book at the moment and getting a bit bored, as nothing much seems to be actually happening...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think the main reason it's boring is because at the end of A Storm of Swords you see the end of the major story arc that was building up from the first book, so the next two books (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons) are trying to build up the final confrontation but I don't think it's going to well because even though A Game of Thrones was the start it was still very good, something that can't be said about the last two books.

I'd still think you should persist though because there are some good chapters and interesting stories developing still.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There will be a broadcast of GRRM reading a chapter from TWOW tomorrow at 11am: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comme..._chapter_from/

Looking forward to this. According to the comments it will be the end of a Victarion chapter and some of Tyrion too.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, do you guys know of any really good Philosophical books to read?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really minded the last two books (so far, I'm about halfway through the first ADWD book). Although I will agree the books aren't really as exciting, they've definitely been including some very interesting new stories, especially Bran and Reek.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The only thing that is getting to me is the nature of most of the story lines. In literally every passage you get a glimmer of hope, finally something is going right, only for some absolutely random cruel thing to happen and the whole story is turned on its head again. It might give the book an edge, but it really is getting irritating that the seemingly good characters in the book are constantly failing in whatever they seem to be doing. Finally things seemed to be going Tyrion's way, he is slowly making his way towards Daenerys only to found by whom I'm guessing is Jorah Mormont. Davos captured by Manderly. Daenerys stuck in a rut. Everything always goes pear shaped. Nothing ever seems to go right. They will get out of these situations eventually, I have no doubt, but this constant backtracking is very frustrating.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BartholomewVarath)
    I haven't really minded the last two books (so far, I'm about halfway through the first ADWD book). Although I will agree the books aren't really as exciting, they've definitely been including some very interesting new stories, especially Bran and Reek.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The only thing that is getting to me is the nature of most of the story lines. In literally every passage you get a glimmer of hope, finally something is going right, only for some absolutely random cruel thing to happen and the whole story is turned on its head again. It might give the book an edge, but it really is getting irritating that the seemingly good characters in the book are constantly failing in whatever they seem to be doing. Finally things seemed to be going Tyrion's way, he is slowly making his way towards Daenerys only to found by whom I'm guessing is Jorah Mormont. Davos captured by Manderly. Daenerys stuck in a rut. Everything always goes pear shaped. Nothing ever seems to go right. They will get out of these situations eventually, I have no doubt, but this constant backtracking is very frustrating.
    Don't get your hopes up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't think i'm even going to buy the 5th book, it's about £12 for the kindle version and if it's anything like the 4th one it wont really be worth it

Such a shame, because he's created some great characters over the series.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't think i'm even going to buy the 5th book, it's about £12 for the kindle version and if it's anything like the 4th one it wont really be worth it

Such a shame, because he's created some great characters over the series.
    Ever heard of a library?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Ever heard of a library?
    It costs a tenner to gain access to my local library, but nice try at being an internet smart ass.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It costs a tenner to gain access to my local library, but nice try at being an internet smart ass.
    Oh well, it's free to get into mine so sux 2 b u friend.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    There will be a broadcast of GRRM reading a chapter from TWOW tomorrow at 11am: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comme..._chapter_from/
    Fuuu I read this as 11pm first time around :ashamed2:

Was it any good?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Fuuu I read this as 11pm first time around :ashamed2:

Was it any good?
    I overslept. I'm hoping a recording will show up on YouTube or something soon.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    I overslept. I'm hoping a recording will show up on YouTube or something soon.
    Haha typical XD apparently it was a Victarion chapter. Yeah it will pop up somewhere with any luck =P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Haha typical XD apparently it was a Victarion chapter. Yeah it will pop up somewhere with any luck =P
    There's a short summary here: http://nicklarter.livejournal.com/7121.html

And it was Victarion and Tyrion. I'm sure there'll be a full recording or transcription soon.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished the second book and can't help but read the spoilers everyone has put here =(

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2014
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.