The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham vs. York

I've been accepted to both York and Durham but now i don't know which one i wanna go to... It's soo jammy tho because my head of sixth form made me change my college from cuths to trevs coz she said it was the least collegy and it didnt have formal halls blah blah blah and seeing as i was ill and not in the mood for arguing i just said whatever. But i got my letter the other day and i got into Cuths!!!! tehe!!

Now im in 2 minds as to which i wanna go to because i dnt wanna go to Durham and think i can handle it for three years and end up hating it. after all i wont be able to come home that often coz i live in the south east. Besides York has ducks!! tehe

Anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Emma-Lou-Bob
I've been accepted to both York and Durham but now i don't know which one i wanna go to... It's soo jammy tho because my head of sixth form made me change my college from cuths to trevs coz she said it was the least collegy and it didnt have formal halls blah blah blah and seeing as i was ill and not in the mood for arguing i just said whatever. But i got my letter the other day and i got into Cuths!!!! tehe!!

Now im in 2 minds as to which i wanna go to because i dnt wanna go to Durham and think i can handle it for three years and end up hating it. after all i wont be able to come home that often coz i live in the south east. Besides York has ducks!! tehe

Anyone help?

Same here. I'm split between York and Durham and Gap!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Oh please. :rolleyes:

York every time. :smile:
Reply 3
Durham's supposed to be better, but I liked York when I visited. Should have applied... go York!
Reply 4
ZJuwelH
Durham's supposed to be better
Conjecture.

Durham traditionally has a better rep, granted, just that that rep increasing seems to be based on a circular justification (ie everyone says it's good therefore it is).
Reply 5
llama boy
Durham traditionally has a better rep, granted, just that that rep increasing seems to be based on a circular justification (ie everyone says it's good therefore it is).

But surely that's just what reputation is -- it isn't a tangible measure, but just what people say/think about a place. However even by tangible measures Durham is one of the best unis, it came tenth in The Times's latest table, and it is a beautiful place and a non-campus university, which will appeal particularly to some people.

Why's this thread in the Oxbridge subforum?
Emma-Lou-Bob

Anyone help?

depends which subject you are applying for. york is so better for english. in fact york is better than oxford for english.
Reply 7
leda swanson
depends which subject you are applying for. york is so better for english. in fact york is better than oxford for english.

And how did you quantify this? What measure did you use?
Reply 8
I'm doing Biology. its in the oxbridge subsection because i didnt realise when i posted that message that it would come up there - ok so i may have no common sense hehe! :wink: Im goin u to see both but my mate said they put on such a good show u cant really help in being even more confused!
Reply 9
Emma-Lou-Bob

Anyone help?

Go to Durham, Cuths is great, by far the best college (society) so you made the right choice there! What are you planning to study? What would you not be able to handle about Durham? It's so great! And Durham has ducks too! They're in the lake (pond) at Mildert. Plus Durham is only around 40 mins from York so the distance isn't really an issue if you live that far away. All I can really say to you is COME. TO. DURHAM. !! Are you coming up for the open day in March?
Reply 10
i do biology (as part of natural sciences) at durham...St Cuths!!! just in case you hadn't realised.

we have one of the best biology departments, you may say that i am biased but it is far better than york for biology, the teaching staff are amazing, the course structure is very good and the research staff are among the best in the country.

The university itself is also amazing, it seems to be the fashion at the moment on these boards for people to say that durham isn't as good as it once was.....obviously they don't know what they are talking about, yes in the league tables we aren't as high as we used to be but that is simply because of the addition of the Stockton campus which is dragging us down, the standards at Durham itself are still as high as they ever were.

Also you chose Cuths so you are obviously intelligent as it is the best!!!! your teacher quite blatantly didn't know what they were talking about as Cuths is one of Bailey colleges meaning that it is in more traditional surroundings.....and we have loads of formals and it is just generally cool!!!

i had to choose between Durham and York and i ended up putting york as my insurance, and i am so glad i did!!! :smile:
Reply 11
They are 2 very different universities, so it's best you go to open days and choose the one you like.
Reply 12
starry
They are 2 very different universities, so it's best you go to open days and choose the one you like.

york is v nice went to an open day there last year, alot less grey than Durham!
Reply 13
I had EXACTLY the same decision to make this time last year: I had AAB offers from York and Durham (and Bristol and Exeter, but I didn't want to go to them). I liked the look of York better and it was higher in the tables for English so I went for York. I've been here now for a term and a half and it is awesome! You will most definitely not regret coming to York, I have loved every minute of it. This is not a plug, I don't work for the university but I am here and I love it. On paper there's not much to choose between Durham and York but I would strongly recommend you to choose York.
Reply 14
AmyBlue
your teacher quite blatantly didn't know what they were talking about as Cuths is one of Bailey colleges meaning that it is in more traditional surroundings.....and we have loads of formals and it is just generally cool!!!

The only reason she was saying that is because she was trying to either get everyone appling to durham to the all girl college or to Trevs (i think she used to be the admissions tutor there or sumthing).
Reply 15
AveHan
Go to Durham, Cuths is great, by far the best college (society) so you made the right choice there! What are you planning to study? What would you not be able to handle about Durham? It's so great! And Durham has ducks too! They're in the lake (pond) at Mildert. Plus Durham is only around 40 mins from York so the distance isn't really an issue if you live that far away. All I can really say to you is COME. TO. DURHAM. !! Are you coming up for the open day in March?

Im gonna do molecular biology and biochem the course seems really interesting + i can give up an ecology (ick) module for something like anthropolgy. Durham just seems like it would be a lot of pressure and i dont wanna get there and feel like completely out of my depth. apart from that it seems cool + its like 5 mins on the train away from Newcastle. Ok Ok so i wasnt so right about the duck thing to choose a uni by!! I probably am goin to the open day will be good to see other people who got in. my mate got into oxford and durham but will probably go to oxford so i wont know anyone!!
Reply 16
Durham should be a good uni I rekon!

I was impressed by the whole university structure here, they are very organised! And, as the other friends just said, the teaching staff here are very good as well!

As personal opinion, I would recommend you to come to Durham!
Durham all the way.

J.
Reply 18
Emma-Lou-Bob
Im gonna do molecular biology and biochem the course seems really interesting + i can give up an ecology (ick) module for something like anthropolgy. Durham just seems like it would be a lot of pressure and i dont wanna get there and feel like completely out of my depth.

you won't feel out of your depth, i'm a retard and i'm doing ok, mind you i am doing the ecology module which you don't wanna do!!!
but i know loads of ppl doing bicochem and they say it's alright.
I'm a durham convert... and if you hang about this forum long enough, you may also be one! :smile:

Hehe.. however, York is also a wonderful place and I think making a decision is incredibly hard.

Are you going for any open days?

Latest

Trending

Trending