The Student Room Group

Oxford re-application

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Others may have different views, but my personal take is that the extra year makes a big difference in how well I'd expect someone to do in the Oxford MAT. So yes, if I was an admissions tutor I'd expect a lot more from you.

Sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by Heroesorghosts
Thanks for the reply. Do you feel that's because for most people who apply, they won't have finished all of their maths modules yet and it gives them an advantage? Or because they've had an extra year to "develop" as mathematicians and realise that it's not all about being spoon-fed as with A-Levels? I'd actually completed both maths and further maths when I'd taken the MAT (sorry if I'm being repetitive), but the thing that has helped me most is definitely getting used to STEP style questions.
Somewhat all of the above. If you've only done C1/C2, you're really still just "transitioning" from GCSE - there's a big jump from C1/C2 to C3/C4 (IMHO), and another jump from M to FM. Also, looking on here, people applying pre-A-level have generally not done much extra preparation (relative to people who do STEP, say).

Also, to what extent would the improvement be expected in your opinion taking the average score of successful applicants to be around 70%?
I think it would depend on various things (including how you did the year before).

For example, I don't think I would have done terribly well on the MAT if I'd taken it after C1/C2 (*). At that point I wasn't really taking maths that seriously, and I don't think I'd have had anything like the 'broader understanding' it asks for. I'm pretty sure I'd have got less than 70%. If I'd taken it after my A-levels, I expect I'd have got over 90%.

More generally, I think I'd expect someone who had done reasonably well in STEP to be looking at that kind of score (90%). Again, looking on here, people who've taken STEP generally think they could now do very very well on the MAT.

Note that doesn't mean you need to score over 90%; I'd expect someone in that position to be one of the stronger applicants (and therefore doing considerably better than they need).

Incidentally, because you applied post-A-level, my expectations would already have been considerably higher than average. (This is in many ways a good thing for your situation, because it means I wouldn't expect as big a jump for an extra year of study).

Personally I do feel it's quite fair for me to be judged harder than the other candidates, considerig I have had that extra year - although I'm only 17 atm. I actually emailed the college who I applied to last year, and they say that they do judge every candidate the same way. I guess it just comes down to whether or not the like/think they can teach you at the end of the day...
Yes, the standard college response does seem to match that. Personally I find that absolutely bizarre - but let's be honest, they are more likely to be right in their judgement than I am!

(*) C1/C2 didn't exist when I did A-levels, so I'm "translating", so to speak. And I took S-levels as well as A-levels, so after A-levels I was the equivalent of someone "post-STEP".
Reply 3
I reapplied (Maths & Philosophy) after not getting an offer the first time around and got in. I didn't find the MAT or interviews noticably easier, but it's possible I did better but didn't feel it. Both times around I honestly couldn't say whether or not I'd got in.

All the comments above hold, of course.
Reply 4
Original post by Heroesorghosts
Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them. First off did you reapply to a different college, and did the college you applied to second time round know that you were a re-applicant, therefore allowing you to be judged more harshly than others? Or do you think they just treated you as a normal candidate albeit on a gap year? Also, did they raise any questions/queries about your gap year and what you were doing on it? Out of interest, what did you do in order to keep your maths abilities up to scratch? I presume that you would have had to put things similar to this on your PS. Finally did you do anything different to prepare for the second time round? You say you didn't feel more confident, was it just down to doing better on the interviews on the day do you think? Thanks again!

I applied to Worcester the first time, Merton the second time. I assume they knew I was a reapplicant; I don't know if it said anything on the application but I'm sure the departments keep track of such details. I can't see that meaning I would have been treated differently to someone else at the same level of education, though. I think I got asked once about my gap year, and replied with the vague plans I had at the time (probably got a little over-defensive over the 'I won't forget my maths' issue). I didn't do that much to keep my maths abilities up; I did practice papers for the MAT, but not much besides. I prepared in much the same way; I guess it came down to the interviews, and my IB results might have helped.
Reply 5
I have a question too!

I am reapplying, after failing at MAT and not wanting to go to UCL or Imperial! I might have sent a few mails to my college's maths coordinator, asking a lot of things... Would this go against me?

I also sent a mail to the Head Of Mathematics basically asking for a place after they rejected me...

So ya... They will remember me... I am reapplying cause Oxford is amazing and my A level results were amazing and they should recognize it! I am paractising for the MAT by doing MAT papers and BMO and STEP I, II and III

Any other ideas?
Reply 6
Original post by Mathelete
I have a question too!

I am reapplying, after failing at MAT and not wanting to go to UCL or Imperial! I might have sent a few mails to my college's maths coordinator, asking a lot of things... Would this go against me?

I also sent a mail to the Head Of Mathematics basically asking for a place after they rejected me...

So ya... They will remember me... I am reapplying cause Oxford is amazing and my A level results were amazing and they should recognize it! I am paractising for the MAT by doing MAT papers and BMO and STEP I, II and III

Any other ideas?

Sending them emails won't prejudice your application, don't stress on that front. It's always recommended you reapply to a different college though.

Not sure what you've got against UCL or Imperial, though; they're both fantastic unis. Oxford really isn't the be-all and end-all - plenty of applicants are good enough to get in and don't. Best of luck though.
Reply 7
Original post by dbmag9

Original post by dbmag9
Sending them emails won't prejudice your application, don't stress on that front. It's always recommended you reapply to a different college though.

Not sure what you've got against UCL or Imperial, though; they're both fantastic unis. Oxford really isn't the be-all and end-all - plenty of applicants are good enough to get in and don't. Best of luck though.

Nothing against them! I love them, but I just wanted one last shot at Oxford! :smile:
Reply 8
Where you reapplying too?!
Reply 9
okay i'm consdering applying to oxford after RESITTING some further maths (A2) modules (...i got a B in FM). if i do well in the MAT...do i have any chance? (I got A*A*BB; A*s in maths and econ, Bs in FM and physics)
Original post by Ree69

Original post by Ree69
okay i'm consdering applying to oxford after RESITTING some further maths (A2) modules (...i got a B in FM). if i do well in the MAT...do i have any chance? (I got A*A*BB; A*s in maths and econ, Bs in FM and physics)

You'd be pushing it in my opinion, you'd have to do very very well in the MAT... it's not like they srtruggle to find enough people who make their offer the first time round :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by jameswhughes
You'd be pushing it in my opinion, you'd have to do very very well in the MAT... it's not like they srtruggle to find enough people who make their offer the first time round :s-smilie:

Oh okay... I called the admissions line earlier this week and they told me they treat all applications equally - incluiding resit applicants! i really don't know how much of that is true. although i have been told by a lot of people to not bother applying to oxford... (i've heard warwick also tends to give out offers to resit applicants, but theirs involve a grade in STEP)
Original post by Ree69

Original post by Ree69
Oh okay... I called the admissions line earlier this week and they told me they treat all applications equally - incluiding resit applicants! i really don't know how much of that is true. although i have been told by a lot of people to not bother applying to oxford... (i've heard warwick also tends to give out offers to resit applicants, but theirs involve a grade in STEP)

Yeah...well I suppose it's worth applying to Oxford, if you were to get rejected it would only be one of 5 choices, and yes, Warwick will probably give you an offer-definitely involving STEP.
Reply 13
Original post by jameswhughes
Yeah...well I suppose it's worth applying to Oxford, if you were to get rejected it would only be one of 5 choices, and yes, Warwick will probably give you an offer-definitely involving STEP.

yeah... i'm just trying to find out which colleges (if any) have a greater leniency towards 'resit' applicants. i suppose with oxford it doesn't matter anyway, i'll always get interviewed by 2 different ones.

problem with warwick is, i think they ask for step II or III for resit applicants. bastards
Reply 14
Original post by Ree69

I am a reapplying student and I got A*A*B with B in chemistry and A* in maths...
I emailed the colleges and they said it will put you in a disadvantage BUT (Litreally wrote it in capitals in the email) if you score good on the MAT and interviews there is no reason why not..

=]
Reply 15
Original post by Ree69
yeah... i'm just trying to find out which colleges (if any) have a greater leniency towards 'resit' applicants. i suppose with oxford it doesn't matter anyway, i'll always get interviewed by 2 different ones.

problem with warwick is, i think they ask for step II or III for resit applicants. bastards

Not true. Warwick gave me an offer of STEP and when I contacted them they said "STEP" again so doesn't mean II or III I personally find II easier than I anyway?!
Reply 16
I am a reapplying student and I got A*A*B with B in chemistry and A* in maths...
I emailed the colleges and they said it will put you in a disadvantage BUT (Litreally wrote it in capitals in the email) if you score good on the MAT and interviews there is no reason why not..

=]

Are you applying for G100? There's no reason why not?! We're RESIT applicants; it's taking us three years to get these grades (albeit if it's A*A*A*) - whilst it would take others only two. I've got a B in Further Maths - even though I'm resitting in Jan - and I'm scared that's going to really damage my application (I don't even think I'm predicted an A*). Right now my only concern is getting to interview stage - and my only hope is that if I do really well in the MAT they'll see past my B grade and offer me one.

Dude also, the entry requirements for Maths are A*A*A (A*s in M + FM). Did you get an A* in further maths? Even if you did, I'd stronly suggest resitting Chemistry, I don't think they'll give you and offer if you're not resitting and your grades as they stand don't meet the minimum requirements.

- Forgive me if you are resitting, you didn't make it clear!

Do you mind if I ask you to forward me the email?:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Not true. Warwick gave me an offer of STEP and when I contacted them they said "STEP" again so doesn't mean II or III I personally find II easier than I anyway?!

They told me just 'STEP' too (when I emailed them) - although when I called the admissions tutors directly, they said it's not uncommon for them to give offers to resit applicants; but the offer does tend to be higher.

I don't think it could possibly be higher when it comes to grades (I've got A*s in Maths and Economics as it is anyway) - but I can only assume this means they'll ask for a grade in STEP II or III.

On top of this, I've heard past stories of people resitting and reapplying to Warwick for Maths (one or two years ago) and apparently Warwick asked for a 2 in Step II OR III. And no, believe me, STEP II and III are considerably harder than STEP I!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Hmmmmmm. For me, I think everything matters I don't think one thing has precedence over the other. E.g. with me I was quite clearly rejected because of poor interview performance not at all because of the MAT or because of my grades/reference (feedback). I suppose if you are applying again you will be able to cope more with nerves as you will be used to the application process already.
Reply 19
I reapplied to Oxford for maths and got rejected. My full grades are in my profile, but to sum them up, AAAAa at A-level (over 90% in maths and further maths) + Distinction in AEA Maths + 1,1 in STEP I and II.

I have spent many years obsessing over the Oxbridge admissions process - 4 admissions cycles of which 2 I spent at least 4 hours a day researching. Save yourself the trouble and listen to me. Oxford only cares about 2 things:

1) The admissions test - if you score over 90%, you're almost guaranteed an offer (think I heard a tutor say that no one's ever been rejected who's scored over 90). Otherwise, you need to be aiming for 75%.

2) The interviews - you need to get 2 good interviews out of 3 - 1 good, 1 ok and 1 bad usually doesn't cut it (which is what happened to me).

Oxford does take candidates who reapply, but not that many reapply. Certainly I think the admissions test should be a lot easier second time round, particularly if you've had practise with STEP. Should easily be getting 90%+ second time round. I ended up running out of time in my exam with only 10 mins left for 15% of the paper with the rest not even completed. I scored in the low 70s.

Good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest