The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What sort of weathering does it ask about? Or is it a really broad question? For things like weathering of the coast you could say about coastal defences such as groynes and sea armour etc.
Reply 2
No it's a really vague question- it was talking about limestone and Karst scenery in Yorkshire so perhaps it's referring to that? :confused: Oh no, the exam's on the 13th! :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Rates of erosion can be reduced by human intervention and man-made defences - particually coastal.
I'm not too sure what you mean by the limestone etc, as I'd imagine that human activity would increase the erosion via acid rain etc. It's really too hard to help you without more information. Is there a case-study for the question?
Reply 4
Study figure one, a photograph of an exposure of limestone near Austwick in the Yorkshire dales..
*picture of a heavily jointed piece of limestone*

A) With reference to figure one:

(i) Describe the pattern of joints shown (2)

[this was fine i've done that]

(ii)Suggest how this limestone was weathered:

1 Chemically (3) [also done]

2 Biologically (3) [fine]

(b) Explain how rates of weathering may be decreased by human activity.

I think it may be something to do with global warming causing a reduction in freeze thaw cycles?
Reply 5
Hmm, perhaps you could suggest that humans could reduce pollution levels, cleaner methods of transport etc and prevent acid rain which erodes limestone. Could maybe suggest that MEDCs etc help the NICs / OPECs / LEDCs develop into MEDCs in a cleaner manner as trade winds push pollution elsewhere.

I suppose if the caves are a tourist attraction, that would ultimately speed up weathering too. If this is the case, you could suggest better management could be implemented.

Also, about global warming, I don't really see how it has caused a reduction in freeze thaw as a) It's still not proven to exist and b) What we do know exists is currently minor.
The whole reason that GW is still considered a problem though could argue it exists. Look at the hole in the ozone layer. Because we reduced CFCs and see this as a solution, the problem is regarded as solved.
However, if your teacher has told you something which i'm unaware of, by all means take what they've told you as right, as I may be totally wrong here.

Human activity would definately cover pollution levels and more than likely GW though as GW is still a 'hot topic'. So feel free to drop that in.
Reply 6
There are two ways to approach tihs question.
1. Relate it back to the image you are given and talk about human activity is reducing the weathering that you have mentioned in section (ii)
2. Treat (B) as a compleatly different question nothing to do with (A) Thats what i would do
Gives you the chance to talk about coastal issues with reference to sea defences eg groynes, sea beas, walls, natural return etc.

word of advice avoid mentioning global warming in the answer! esp if in context to CFCs as the link is way complex and has many caviates
Reply 7
CHeers for the help guys, but i was right with my first instinct- the mark scheme said a reduction in freeze thaw through global warming etc, and i got the mark so thankyou for your help!

Latest

Trending

Trending