The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Wanting to study at Northumbria? Any questions? Ask here.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greekguy
just out of curiosity, since when the llb exempting programme exists at northumbria?

Hello there,

Both our Exempting degrees (Solicitors and Barristers) have been running for 20 years.
Hope this answers your question :smile:

Leanne
(edited 12 years ago)
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Due to how specific your question is, I recommend emailing [email protected] as I don't want to give you any false or misinterpreted information. Hopefully they should be able to give you a useful response.

Leanne

Sent an email, thankyou!
Original post by Northumbria
Hello there,

It is difficult to give an unbiased opinion due to me working at Northumbria. However, I know that the course has a strong focus on giving its students skills the employers want when you graduate by keeping the course up-to-date through research and communications with external companies. You also get the option of a placement year in the industry giving you that edge when you leave university.
I hope this has helped answer your question!

Leanne

Thank you very much
Original post by wa'gwarn
Hi,

Business with marketing & Business with international management :smile:

Thanks

Apologies for the delayed response. I've been in touch with admissions and the answer is yes, we do consider General Studies for all of our Business courses.
Hope this clarifies things for you.
:smile:

Leanne
Reply 184
Hi.

Basically i have sent my UCAS away with 5 options not including Northumbria. Will i still be able to apply to Northumbria during clearing providing i meet the entry requirements?

Thanks
Whats the most popular accommodation that most students live in?
which accommodation would be nearest to where the Business Information Systems or ITMB I'm not sure if it's in the computing building or the business one? Or even the accommodation thats in a walking distance?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cbridge
Hi.

Basically i have sent my UCAS away with 5 options not including Northumbria. Will I still be able to apply to Northumbria during clearing providing i meet the entry requirements?

Thanks

Hello,

If you have declined all 5 other offers, you can apply through clearing provided you meet the entry requirements. :smile:

Leanne
Original post by Mysteriouschic
Whats the most popular accommodation that most students live in?
which accommodation would be nearest to where the Business Information Systems or ITMB I'm not sure if it's in the computing building or the business one? Or even the accommodation thats in a walking distance?

Hello there,

There are a number of halls of residence that are more popular than others, mainly ones that are on campus. Some of our new accommodation such as New Bridge Street Residence is very popular but accommodation such as Victoria Halls and Camden are always popular due to them being so close to the City Campus East. The closest accommodation for the Computing School (based in Pandon Building) would be Victoria Halls, Glenamara House and Camden Court. All of which are under a minute's walk, and are visible as soon as you exit Pandon Building. If you look at the campus maps, any of the accommodation that is based in the City Centre is within walking distance. Even our accommodation that is further out is still walking distance away (20-25 minute walk from Parish Court). Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks,

Leanne
Hi there,
I am hoping to get into northumbria in september, studying at coach lane. I'm a mature student and my sister is also a mature student and we are looking for somewhere within walking distance that isn't too studenty to rent! We have a budget of approx £200 - £250 per month each and everywhere we can afford seems far away or not very pleasant! We also have a cousin who is doing her alevels who may also want to move in with us with a similar budget. Is there any areas that aren't too over the top student digs, that arent too far away from coach lane that you can expect to pay no more than £500 per month for a 2 bed or £750 for a 3 bed? sorry i know thats quite specific! Nice areas is really what we are looking for to rent basically!!
thanks
Original post by Northumbria
Hello there,

There are a number of halls of residence that are more popular than others, mainly ones that are on campus. Some of our new accommodation such as New Bridge Street Residence is very popular but accommodation such as Victoria Halls and Camden are always popular due to them being so close to the City Campus East. The closest accommodation for the Computing School (based in Pandon Building) would be Victoria Halls, Glenamara House and Camden Court. All of which are under a minute's walk, and are visible as soon as you exit Pandon Building. If you look at the campus maps, any of the accommodation that is based in the City Centre is within walking distance. Even our accommodation that is further out is still walking distance away (20-25 minute walk from Parish Court). Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks,

Leanne

Thanks for the help :smile:.
Do you know if most people go on their own or bring parents to the visit day?
Reply 190
I was asked about my diet when registering for an open day ... doe sthat mean there will be a dinner/lunch/breakfast? For free?
Original post by sweets_not_study!
Hi there,
I am hoping to get into northumbria in september, studying at coach lane. I'm a mature student and my sister is also a mature student and we are looking for somewhere within walking distance that isn't too studenty to rent! We have a budget of approx £200 - £250 per month each and everywhere we can afford seems far away or not very pleasant! We also have a cousin who is doing her alevels who may also want to move in with us with a similar budget. Is there any areas that aren't too over the top student digs, that arent too far away from coach lane that you can expect to pay no more than £500 per month for a 2 bed or £750 for a 3 bed? sorry i know thats quite specific! Nice areas is really what we are looking for to rent basically!!
thanks

For a nice area on that sort of budget, I think you may struggle to find somewhere. Is that budget including bills or just rent?
I personally would just look at places on RightMove and FindAProperty as places labelled as you are likely to find landlords that are more helpful rather than estate agents. You might find this website useful too for finding accommodation. http://www.househustler.co.uk/
There isn't much more I can suggest other than, look around as much as you can. Book viewings too as images on websites might not show the full potential of the accommodation, the more you get in touch with estate agents, the better. The areas around Coach Lane are more houses and what not rather than small flats, so the best way to find out is contact estate agents.
Hope this helps in some way,

Leanne
Original post by Mysteriouschic
Thanks for the help :smile:.
Do you know if most people go on their own or bring parents to the visit day?

As I have helped out on the visit and open days, I've noticed quite a mix. I've noticed local people are more inclined to come alone as the travelling is much easier, people who are further away generally come with parents as they usually want to go explore afterwards. I definitely bringing parents along is useful, it also means they know exactly what will be happening as well as yourself.

Hope this helps.

Leanne
Original post by THESHade
I was asked about my diet when registering for an open day ... doe sthat mean there will be a dinner/lunch/breakfast? For free?

Hello,

There usually is a lunch buffet of some sort that is free, there are also cafes and shops on site for you to buy food if you so wish.

Leanne
Original post by Northumbria University
For a nice area on that sort of budget, I think you may struggle to find somewhere. Is that budget including bills or just rent?
I personally would just look at places on RightMove and FindAProperty as places labelled as you are likely to find landlords that are more helpful rather than estate agents. You might find this website useful too for finding accommodation. http://www.househustler.co.uk/
There isn't much more I can suggest other than, look around as much as you can. Book viewings too as images on websites might not show the full potential of the accommodation, the more you get in touch with estate agents, the better. The areas around Coach Lane are more houses and what not rather than small flats, so the best way to find out is contact estate agents.
Hope this helps in some way,

Leanne

Yeah i have been thinking it will be a struggle too! The £250 each is soley for rent then bills etc on top. Will keep on looking and start pestering landlords when/if i get a confirmed place as dont want to waste their time just yet! Thanks for your help! :smile:
Original post by sweets_not_study!
Yeah i have been thinking it will be a struggle too! The £250 each is soley for rent then bills etc on top. Will keep on looking and start pestering landlords when/if i get a confirmed place as dont want to waste their time just yet! Thanks for your help! :smile:

That's quite alright. If you need any more help you could speak to the accommodation office at Northumbria, they might be able to point you in a more suitable direction.

:smile:
I've put down En Suite Classic as first choice, and En Suite City for second. I'm hoping to study Law as well, and I have difficulty sleeping sometimes, so I don't want to be somewhere really lively. Do you know which halls would be the best for me? And are the en suite halls close to the Law campus?
Original post by FallonSmith
I've put down En Suite Classic as first choice, and En Suite City for second. I'm hoping to study Law as well, and I have difficulty sleeping sometimes, so I don't want to be somewhere really lively. Do you know which halls would be the best for me? And are the en suite halls close to the Law campus?

Hello,

None of the En-suite residences are specifically quiet, however they are all within about a 5-10 minutes walk from the Law School.
The quietest building is Lovaine Flats but these rooms are not En-suite. En-Suite Classic rooms are allocated in Knoll Court and Camden Court all the other En-suite residences are En-Suite City.
Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Leanne
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Northumbria University
Hello,

None of the En-suite residences are specifically quiet, however they are all within about a 5-10 minutes walk from the Law School.
The quietest building is Lovaine Flats but these rooms are not En-suite. En-Suite Classic rooms are allocated in Knoll Court and Camden Court all the other En-suite residences are En-Suite City.
Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Leanne

Also, this may sound strange but once arriving at Northumbria accomodation, how do you find out which room is yours? Like do people in your flat pick their room first or are you allocated a room number within the halls? I just thought there would be a lot of fighting over the best room in halls otherwise haha.
Original post by FallonSmith
Also, this may sound strange but once arriving at Northumbria accomodation, how do you find out which room is yours? Like do people in your flat pick their room first or are you allocated a room number within the halls? I just thought there would be a lot of fighting over the best room in halls otherwise haha.

You are allocated a room before you arrive :smile: Otherwise, like you said, there would be quite a lot of fighting over who has what room! You will be informed of what room you have been allocated once the accommodation office start making offers in the summer.

Leanne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending