The Student Room Group

After a Bachelor's degree, what next?

I'm currently in the middle of my BSc, I'll be going into third year at the end of the summer. In both my first and second year I got firsts and would think that that's what I'll get (hopefully!) for my degree next year.

Basically, I want to continue at university after my degree and really want to go into research (particularly an area of fluid dynamics), so my overall goal is to get onto a PhD programme.

What I'm really not sure about right now is what I should be doing next. I've hears of people going straight from their BSc to a PhD. Personally I think this is a VERY big step and would worry you'd be very much out of your depth.

After doing a bit of research into my options there seem to be several options:

1. A wide ranging MSc in Mathematics, like the one at Leeds, so I could gain a broader view of maths (I don't think my degree is that broad).

2. I could do a degree like the fluid dynamics MSc at Manchester, this would obviously be good as it's specific to my field of interest so I'd get a more in-depth view of fluids.

3. I've heard of programmes called 1+3's which I understand is a master's degree with the plan being to go on to a PhD once you've completed that.

4. Now this is the one I'm most interested in. I've heard of MPhil's, which to my untrained ear sound like the master's equivalent of a PhD and (so 'm told) can lead to a PhD after a year.

What I'm asking here is what people opinions are of the different postgrad programmes out there. I like the idea of an MPhil because it would be getting straight into a research degree (rather than attending another year of lectures).

Are there any postgrads out there, because it would be really good to see what people think is appropriate.

Thanks guys!
1, 2 and 3 are no different really. 3's just the equivelant of doing an undergrad masters, you're coming out the same, it's just less applications. As for 2, that's just choosing a more specific area. As for 4, an MPhil is what you usually get from a PhD if the work is good, but not quite enough to justify giving out a PhD, or occasionally an "You're doing OK, we'll let you keep going" midway kind of thing to acknowledge you're not a moron. What you've seen is pushing it that bit past to get the PhD qualification.

As for jumping straight from BSc to PhD, yeah it's a rarity and you have to do amazingly to be accepted or offered it really. Your choices there are about all the same really, it's just choosing between MSc Mathematics, or MSc Fluid Dynamics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
A corporate ''career'' in a company, making someone else's dreams come true , forever chasing the next promotion.
Just invent a theory and get a PhD then. Simples.

:tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Evil Monkey
1, 2 and 3 are no different really. 3's just the equivelant of doing an undergrad masters, you're coming out the same, it's just less applications. As for 2, that's just choosing a more specific area. As for 4, an MPhil is what you usually get from a PhD if the work is good, but not quite enough to justify giving out a PhD, or occasionally an "You're doing OK, we'll let you keep going" midway kind of thing to acknowledge you're not a moron. What you've seen is pushing it that bit past to get the PhD qualification.

As for jumping straight from BSc to PhD, yeah it's a rarity and you have to do amazingly to be accepted or offered it really. Your choices there are about all the same really, it's just choosing between MSc Mathematics, or MSc Fluid Dynamics.

So typically you can't apply specifically to do an MPhil. I'd been told, I'm assuming I must be wrong, that you can apply and start an MPhil and then move up to a PhD if your progress is good enough. Is it more that you apply to do research and then if your research isn't going to be of doctoral level you can opt to be assesed at a masters level?
Reply 5
Is it too late to swap to a Mmath (/MSci) at your current uni if they offer it as that could be the cheapest solution? Otherwise next year you could apply for the MScs and some PhDs and if you don't get any PhD offers it might suggest that a masters is necessary and then you could do that. Basically apply to lots of things, see what you get offers for and that may help your decisons. Also going on opn days/interviews will give you lots of opportunity to speak lots of people in the know to help you decide. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Sooz
Is it too late to swap to a Mmath (/MSci) at your current uni if they offer it as that could be the cheapest solution? Otherwise next year you could apply for the MScs and some PhDs and if you don't get any PhD offers it might suggest that a masters is necessary and then you could do that. Basically apply to lots of things, see what you get offers for and that may help your decisons. Also going on opn days/interviews will give you lots of opportunity to speak lots of people in the know to help you decide. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice :smile:. Sadly my uni isn't going to run MMath courses for a few years cos they would have been perfect! I really don't fancy having to get a career development loan :/. I like your strategy! Me and my friend were talking about this and he gave basically the same advice... we call it the "throw the spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks" strategy.
Original post by Crazy Horse
So typically you can't apply specifically to do an MPhil. I'd been told, I'm assuming I must be wrong, that you can apply and start an MPhil and then move up to a PhD if your progress is good enough. Is it more that you apply to do research and then if your research isn't going to be of doctoral level you can opt to be assesed at a masters level?

It's generally not opting, it's up to them, you go for a PhD, with the MPhil there so you still come out with something if you're a bit short of the PhD.

If there is somewhere doing it how you've described, they're probably one of, if not the, only.
Reply 8
Original post by Evil Monkey
It's generally not opting, it's up to them, you go for a PhD, with the MPhil there so you still come out with something if you're a bit short of the PhD.

If there is somewhere doing it how you've described, they're probably one of, if not the, only.

Ah right, I get you, thanks. I suppose what you mean is something along the original content lines. If your thesis doesn't go as far as original content then I'd assume that's where the MPhil can jump in.
Original post by Theconomist
A corporate ''career'' in a company, making someone else's dreams come true , forever chasing the next promotion.

I really don't understand your pessimism with the working world. In fact, if I become an actuary and I'm earning 45k mid-qualifying, I'd have achieved a pretty massive dream for myself, which is to earn more than both my parents' wages combined.

Once I'm qualified, I'd aim to be a manager and help out interns and newly qualified members of the organisation. I'd feel happier knowing I'd be changing people's lives for the better. I'd get my sports car, have a family and then teach my child to go out in life and keep trying, something nothing ventured means something gained.

But no, you're right. Anyone entering a corporate career is a working drone, clearly being manipulated by his boss to do the work that his boss won't, working so that his boss has a higher salary and hoping one day to be this boss, who is most likely alone, profit driven, superficial and lifeless.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I really don't understand your pessimism with the working world. In fact, if I become an actuary and I'm earning 45k mid-qualifying, I'd have achieved a pretty massive dream for myself, which is to earn more than both my parents' wages combined.

Once I'm qualified, I'd aim to be a manager and help out interns and newly qualified members of the organisation. I'd feel happier knowing I'd be changing people's lives for the better. I'd get my sports car, have a family and then teach my child to go out in life and keep trying, something nothing ventured means something gained.

But no, you're right. Anyone entering a corporate career is a working drone, clearly being manipulated by his boss to do the work that his boss won't, working so that his boss has a higher salary and hoping one day to be this boss, who is most likely alone, profit driven, superficial and lifeless.

Pretty much, did you know that employers in the private sector pay as little as possible?
Original post by wanderlust.xx

Have you got any exemptions so far? I agree, actuaries do change the world for the better :awesome:
Original post by boromir9111
Have you got any exemptions so far? I agree, actuaries do change the world for the better :awesome:

I haven't even gotten a job yet. In fact, I'm considering doing accountancy instead... So many variables, so few people who can help me make a decision. :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest