The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol 2012 applicants !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Illmatic-
Me too, I love the lay out of the prospectus!

I'm even more shallow, I liked the picture around the front page :laugh:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Niki_girl
AS grades aren't the be all and end all, and you have good GCSEs, with good A2 predictions, reference, Personal statement (and for Oxford) interview, you still have a really good chance! :smile:

I've visited; Oxford, Cambridge, QMUL, RHUL, Reading, Kent, Chichester, UEA, LSE and still have Exeter & Bristol to go! :biggrin: this was over a period of over 2 years though, and of all of those I only want to apply to Oxford, UEA and Royal Holloway. (although the others were all nice too, it's just personal preference!) I also considered York, Nottingham and Southampton but then decided against as I've been to a ridiculous number of open days this year and no member of my family is willing to take me to any more :frown: lol!

You're right, fingers crossed. :smile: I did frantically send emails to every uni I could think of for reassurance and it's not been totally bad news thank goodness :tongue: Have you had a look at the HAT yet?

You've been busy! :tongue: I'm planning Nottingham too, they have a gorgeous prospectus and a good course! I was thinking of UEA but I'm not sure yet, a visit is in order there. I've just remembered I have seen some places - Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and RHUL. I was a bit disappointed with LSE but couldn't put my finger on why. Loved RHUL - the founder's building won me over!

I think I'd either have to go on my own to open days, or find someone who was looking there too - my parents are always busy! :mad::tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FuzzySheep
You're right, fingers crossed. :smile: I did frantically send emails to every uni I could think of for reassurance and it's not been totally bad news thank goodness :tongue: Have you had a look at the HAT yet?

You've been busy! :tongue: I'm planning Nottingham too, they have a gorgeous prospectus and a good course! I was thinking of UEA but I'm not sure yet, a visit is in order there. I've just remembered I have seen some places - Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and RHUL. I was a bit disappointed with LSE but couldn't put my finger on why. Loved RHUL - the founder's building won me over!

I think I'd either have to go on my own to open days, or find someone who was looking there too - my parents are always busy! :mad::tongue:

Ah, the HAT :frown:...I'm going on holiday for 5 days tomorrow so I'll prepare when I get back, or maybe I should revise for my theory driving test, or both :s-smilie: we don't need to know anything subject specific, but I'm going to read over some past papers and mark schemes to get an idea of what/ how to write, or even how much we have to write (I have no idea!) to be honest when I get back to school I'll ask for more specific help & feedback, maybe do a couple of past papers? What preparation have you done/ plan on doing? It's not like the MAT or PAT or something, there's no way of learning methods or examples, it's all about how you write and express yourself...I hope!

I'm not too keen on LSE either.....I might still visit King's or UCL as they are both known for History and have access to great resources in the form of museums etc. but I'm not quite sure I could deal with living in London (Royal Holloway however is a good distance away...) and I was going to visit York but now I think it's too far away and I can't be bothered lol, some of my friend are applying to places like St.Andrews or Edinburgh or Durham which also look incredible :eek3: but I'm just running out of time to visit places before the October deadline...I hope I'll really like Bristol and Exeter and then I'll have my 5 - well, if my teachers approve and everything. Exeter have a AAB-A*AAA grade range for History, I'm hoping I'll get a cheeky AAB offer although this is unlikely, I'm more likely to firm somewhere that offers AAA and a AAB place for my insurance, as I don't think I'm quite confident enough to get an A* in History!
Ah, the HAT ...I'm going on holiday for 5 days tomorrow so I'll prepare when I get back, or maybe I should revise for my theory driving test, or both we don't need to know anything subject specific, but I'm going to read over some past papers and mark schemes to get an idea of what/ how to write, or even how much we have to write (I have no idea!) to be honest when I get back to school I'll ask for more specific help & feedback, maybe do a couple of past papers? What preparation have you done/ plan on doing? It's not like the MAT or PAT or something, there's no way of learning methods or examples, it's all about how you write and express yourself...I hope!

I'm not too keen on LSE either.....I might still visit King's or UCL as they are both known for History and have access to great resources in the form of museums etc. but I'm not quite sure I could deal with living in London (Royal Holloway however is a good distance away...) and I was going to visit York but now I think it's too far away and I can't be bothered lol, some of my friend are applying to places like St.Andrews or Edinburgh or Durham which also look incredible but I'm just running out of time to visit places before the October deadline...I hope I'll really like Bristol and Exeter and then I'll have my 5 - well, if my teachers approve and everything. Exeter have a AAB-A*AAA grade range for History, I'm hoping I'll get a cheeky AAB offer although this is unlikely, I'm more likely to firm somewhere that offers AAA and a AAB place for my insurance, as I don't think I'm quite confident enough to get an A* in History!

The area in Bristol where the university is (Clifton) is really very nice! A lot of open green spaces and a particularly nice park (forgotten name) on a hill with great views. There is accommodation both sides of the suspension bridge. On one side is Clifton, then you walk over this really nicely designed bridge and you're in the beautiful countryside of Wiltshire :smile: It's a pretty amazing transformation... night life looks decent there too! This probably won't help if you're going to visit haha, then you can make your own decision, but it certainly worked for me :smile:! If you visit exeter, could you tell me what it's like? I'm probably going to apply but I don't think I'll visit!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChrisJN1994
The area in Bristol where the university is (Clifton) is really very nice! A lot of open green spaces and a particularly nice park (forgotten name) on a hill with great views. There is accommodation both sides of the suspension bridge. On one side is Clifton, then you walk over this really nicely designed bridge and you're in the beautiful countryside of Wiltshire :smile: It's a pretty amazing transformation... night life looks decent there too! This probably won't help if you're going to visit haha, then you can make your own decision, but it certainly worked for me :smile:! If you visit exeter, could you tell me what it's like? I'm probably going to apply but I don't think I'll visit!

Brandon Hill with Cabot Tower?:p:
Brandon Hill with Cabot Tower?

Ah that's it :biggrin:! I thought that was lovely :P!
Reply 106
I'm even more shallow, I liked the picture around the front page :laugh:

:rofl:
Ah, the HAT :frown:...I'm going on holiday for 5 days tomorrow so I'll prepare when I get back, or maybe I should revise for my theory driving test, or both :s-smilie: we don't need to know anything subject specific, but I'm going to read over some past papers and mark schemes to get an idea of what/ how to write, or even how much we have to write (I have no idea!) to be honest when I get back to school I'll ask for more specific help & feedback, maybe do a couple of past papers? What preparation have you done/ plan on doing? It's not like the MAT or PAT or something, there's no way of learning methods or examples, it's all about how you write and express yourself...I hope!

I'm not too keen on LSE either.....I might still visit King's or UCL as they are both known for History and have access to great resources in the form of museums etc. but I'm not quite sure I could deal with living in London (Royal Holloway however is a good distance away...) and I was going to visit York but now I think it's too far away and I can't be bothered lol, some of my friend are applying to places like St.Andrews or Edinburgh or Durham which also look incredible :eek3: but I'm just running out of time to visit places before the October deadline...I hope I'll really like Bristol and Exeter and then I'll have my 5 - well, if my teachers approve and everything. Exeter have a AAB-A*AAA grade range for History, I'm hoping I'll get a cheeky AAB offer although this is unlikely, I'm more likely to firm somewhere that offers AAA and a AAB place for my insurance, as I don't think I'm quite confident enough to get an A* in History!

Ooh, well have fun on your holiday! I'm sure you can split your time equally into revising for them. It is all about the writing thankfully, though I think I'll panic when I actually do it and forget my examples! :tongue: If I do apply for Oxford and take the HAT, then I'll pretty much be doing the same, past papers + revision over the mark scheme. It's just that it looks so intimidating when you first see it, haha! You've just reminded me about driving etc, I've not even got my provisional licence yet :s-smilie:

London would be a great place to study history, and Kings' course looks great. Haven't looked at UCL at all actually. Hehe, you're the opposite to me - I'd love to study in London but they won't give me accomodation as I already live here. What's putting you off applying to somewhere in London (out of curiosity :smile:)? I had a look at St Andrews and Durham, both of which are great, but I don't think I'd be confident of an A* either. Bristol is supposed to be gorgeous, and Exeter it's the same (well the Cornwall campus at least!). I suppose it all depends on what feels like home really. I don't think I'd be able to do all the visits so I'll mostly go around after (and if!) I get any offers. Exeter's range of grades is quite broad, which is a blessing haha. Same here, AAA for the firm and AAB for an insurance. :smile: Off to redrafting my personal statement again, it's starting to get really fed up of it now, not good :tongue:
Reply 108
For those who went to the Bristol Open Day in June, did you find it really organised? I thought it was as there were students in red t-shirts everywhere and were happy to give directions/information. The open day bus was nice and easy and when I actually arrived the vet staff were very helpful. I have to say I was very impressed, not sure if many open days are as organised as that!
Original post by Cetacea
For those who went to the Bristol Open Day in June, did you find it really organised? I thought it was as there were students in red t-shirts everywhere and were happy to give directions/information. The open day bus was nice and easy and when I actually arrived the vet staff were very helpful. I have to say I was very impressed, not sure if many open days are as organised as that!

I worked on the open day last year. All i wanted to do was show off and persuade people to come to Bristol!
Reply 110
Original post by Cetacea

I'm planning on going on the 22nd, what can I expect?

I'm planning on going on the 22nd, what can I expect?
To find everyone packing up.

The open day's on the 21st :wink:
Reply 112
Original post by fluteflute
To find everyone packing up.

The open day's on the 21st :wink:

Ah lol you've just saved me some money, I was planning on booking for the 22nd :laugh:
I went on a Bristol campus tour which was 2 hours long :biggrin: They even took me to the Languages department to have a look round. I kind of preferred it to an open day in the end :smile:
Reply 114
Original post by Banoffeepie16
I went on a Bristol campus tour which was 2 hours long :biggrin: They even took me to the Languages department to have a look round. I kind of preferred it to an open day in the end :smile:

Ah thats wicked; much more tailored then a chaotic open day!
Reply 115
I might have considered Bristol for economics if their admissions for the subject wasn't so unpredictable :confused:
Original post by FuzzySheep
What's putting you off applying to somewhere in London (out of curiosity :smile:)?

It's just that a lot of my family live in London and if I apply to anywhere in London they'll expect me to live with them or visit them frequently and we don't really get on :tongue: also I just prefer living somewhere with a more compact centre, rather than feeling agrophobic in the massive city of London!

:angry:My personal statement is officially in the 4000 character limit and is now 1 line over the preview limit! I hate my PS! The ending is also terrible, I don't have space to round off nicely....:frown:...it's true I think the Personal Statement is the hardest part of the application, can't wait until it's sent off!
It's just that a lot of my family live in London and if I apply to anywhere in London they'll expect me to live with them or visit them frequently and we don't really get on :tongue: also I just prefer living somewhere with a more compact centre, rather than feeling agrophobic in the massive city of London!

:angry:My personal statement is officially in the 4000 character limit and is now 1 line over the preview limit! I hate my PS! The ending is also terrible, I don't have space to round off nicely....:frown:...it's true I think the Personal Statement is the hardest part of the application, can't wait until it's sent off!

Haha aww, fair enough! :tongue: London's a lot smaller than people think, but I'm probably just biased :tongue:

The PS does really become the bane of your life :frown: 246 characters over and I feel really OCD taking out words like "to" here and there. Just keep redrafting, the years before have done it, we can do it too!
I've seen a couple of threads for different universities such as Oxbridge and Durham and I thought I'd get the ball rolling with prospective Bristol applicants :smile:

I'll probably be applying for Politics, though I don't particularly rate my chances. I got ABBB at AS but I'm aiming for A*AA or more (whether I'll get it or not is a different question). I don't know what my official predictions will be, hopefully there'll be at least 3 A's in there :biggrin:. The open day gave me faith that they put a fair bit of weight on the personal statement and teacher ref's anyway so yeh. Also looking at Warwick (I'm undecided whether to firm Bristol or Warwick, obviously pending offers), Sheffield, UEA, and then either somewhere worse as a reserve, or somewhere else like Lancaster or York or Nottingham.
Reply 119
Original post by Obfuscator
I'll probably be applying for Politics, though I don't particularly rate my chances. I got ABBB at AS but I'm aiming for A*AA or more (whether I'll get it or not is a different question). I don't know what my official predictions will be, hopefully there'll be at least 3 A's in there :biggrin:. The open day gave me faith that they put a fair bit of weight on the personal statement and teacher ref's anyway so yeh. Also looking at Warwick (I'm undecided whether to firm Bristol or Warwick, obviously pending offers), Sheffield, UEA, and then either somewhere worse as a reserve, or somewhere else like Lancaster or York or Nottingham.

I'm not so sure i'll get in either (economics) Im hoping they do place weight on the rest of the application :smile: Good luck, though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending