The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

New to open university

Hey :smile: I've recently been researching the open university as an alternative to going to a brick university this year and like the sound of the course "Introduction to social sciences" as a beginning course but am just wondering is it compulsory to attend things like the tutorials or is it possible to do the whole of the course from home (I work full time aswell)?

Also does anyone have any opinions on the course and content?? Thanks :smile: x
Reply 1
Original post by becky=)
Hey :smile: I've recently been researching the open university as an alternative to going to a brick university this year and like the sound of the course "Introduction to social sciences" as a beginning course but am just wondering is it compulsory to attend things like the tutorials or is it possible to do the whole of the course from home (I work full time aswell)?

Welcome.

Can't say about the course content there, but the tutorials aren't compulsory. You don't get penalised for not going.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
If you CAN get to tutorials however, they are quite handy. I didn't go to my level 1 tuts, but I went to my level 2 ones and they helped a lot. Now all my tutorials are done online through the Elluminate system (like a chatroom with a powerpoint presentation that the tutor guides everyone through) and although the tutorials are recorded so you can watch them back anytime, I really miss the live ones!
Reply 3
Original post by becky=)

Hi and welcome :smile:

Tutorials are not compulsory, however, they can sometimes help loads!

I cannot comment on the course content as yet - I start the Intro to social sciences in Jan :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by becky=)

I've been studying with OU for three years, been to 2 lectures in total. TBH I thought it was a complete waste of my time, the study materials provided me with adequate understanding of the subjects and I gained nothing from going to the lectures.

Not sure about the course you're doing but you can read reviews from other students on the OU's course page.

Regards,
Reply 5
:biggrin:
Original post by stecoli
I've been studying with OU for three years, been to 2 lectures in total. TBH I thought it was a complete waste of my time, the study materials provided me with adequate understanding of the subjects and I gained nothing from going to the lectures.

Not sure about the course you're doing but you can read reviews from other students on the OU's course page.

Regards,

I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I refused to go to the tutorials during my first module as the tutor gave the impression of 'not caring' in his correspondence :s-smilie:

I've been to one tutorial of my current module, and his correspondence isn't fantastic, but he replies to emails and realises not everyone is at the 'same level' - so I think it can depend solely on how the tutor interacts with their students, as to if the tutorials help as much as the possible supply of information from them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending