The Student Room Group

Weird thing 'inside' my brain

I don't know why I just suddenly thought of making a post about this. It's something I've noticed since I was very young, well anyway it just started happening again and I thought I might ask all you lovely people about it.

Ok so does anyone else get this sort of rushing/humming noise that they can feel and hear somehwhere inside their head, and you can actually control it, like switch it on and off, using some muscles somewhere presumably. It might be like blood in my brain or something, I don't know.

Maybe a med student can enlighten me on what this is. Sorry if I haven't explained it that well, I don't really know how to describe it really. Anyway sometimes, I don't know if it's when I'm stressed or tired or something, but sometimes I feel like I can't stop it, I feel like I have to make this rushing/humming feeling inside my head to somehow relax me or something. I don't feel any noticable effects after doing it, other than I don't feel like I have to do it again for a while. Sometimes I think I get it when I'm in bright light too.

This might be one of those things everyone gets, for all I know this might just be a headache or something, I don't know, anyway, any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it a high frequency humming noise, like a cat deterrent? If so, I have that too, but I don't know the cause.
Reply 2
when im lying in bed at night i hear all sorts of strange noises and feel all manner of vibrations and such like inside my head/ears.

it almost sounds like a hard disk in a PC sometimes

a humming noise might be tinnitus but im not sure if its controllable
Reply 3
Is it similar to Tinnitus?
If I wake up during the night then sometimes I have a really high pitched humming in my ears which doesnt go away and keeps me awake. It is really irritating... can you get rid of yours? How?
It's the blood vessels in your head, blood is going past at a high speed. If you rest your head against a pillow it causes the sound to become 'acoustic' and you can hear it.
It could be tinnitus, which can be caused by an alergic reaction, Marijuana use, thyroid problems, impacts to the head, loud noises, lymes disease or brain tumours, aspirin or quinine. Tinnitus causes its suffers to hear strange but perfect notes, not like noise,
Okay, so 3 out of the 4 people who posted in this thread have tinnitus? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
I get tinitnus and that is more of pinging sound. I think you need to get it checked by a doctor.

I have high frequency hearing loss so its probably connected.

I would go to a doctor though, speculate on an internet forum will solve nothing.
Reply 9
Try listening to classical music to decrease tinnitus.
Reply 10
Is it kind of like a wooshing noise the becomes louder and higher pitched if you concentrate on it, but lessens if you change position? Cos I get this lying in bed sometimes, and just put it down to blood flowing between my brain and my ears...
i get this too. seems to be when im really tired and i can hear a rushing sort of noise in my head. I wouldnt worry about it coz it seems pretty commen
TINNITUS duh
Reply 13
I have the same problem but it actually sort of sounds like someone is speaking to me, telling me to do things. When i was much younger is was quite bad, and once it told me to set the kitchen on fire.
Reply 14
sayed_samed
I have the same problem but it actually sort of sounds like someone is speaking to me, telling me to do things. When i was much younger is was quite bad, and once it told me to set the kitchen on fire.

Ace.

"Ah, you've done grand, laddie. Now you know what you have to do. Burn the house down! Burn them all!"
Reply 15
Poica
Ace.

"Ah, you've done grand, laddie. Now you know what you have to do. Burn the house down! Burn them all!"

its the evil lepricorn! muahahahah. The simpsons is absolute class, still makes me chuckle, most of the time i watch it i am having my tea and it makes me choke!
Yeah sounds like tinnitus I have to say. I have it and it don't go away forever (always comes back eventually). You can't control it. However if you concentrate on it you can block out all other things so if you want to stop listening to the crap some people spout you could try that, hehe.
Reply 17
I sometimes get what is like a flapping sound like there's a butterfly flapping its wings next to my ear. I also get the high pitched noise at times too.
Reply 18
G4ry
I sometimes get what is like a flapping sound like there's a butterfly flapping its wings next to my ear. I also get the high pitched noise at times too.

Have you thought about checking for butterflies?
Does it feel good, cus then it cud be endorphins being released.

Latest

Trending

Trending