The Student Room Group

Putting low profile tyre on Astra?

Basically, I have a new smexy 2007 Astra sxi, and I want to put low profile tyres on it.

Any ideas how much it will cost and if I will need to change anything on the axles etc? I really have no idea haha, never really looked into it before.
Reply 1
Why would you put low profiles on an existing alloy that is not designed for it?
New alloys is the best way forward with the correct dimensions. Quite important to get the profile % depth correct as it will spoil ride and handling...
Reply 2
Original post by Né Stig
Why would you put low profiles on an existing alloy that is not designed for it?
New alloys is the best way forward with the correct dimensions. Quite important to get the profile % depth correct as it will spoil ride and handling...

Well I was planning on changing the alloys as well, but I'm only looking at costs and stuff at the mo :smile:
2007 astra, eh :beard:
if it is a 5 door - be it the hatchback or estate - i will smack you. especially if it is the the 5 door hatchback - that looks so dull even the estate looks cooler.
HOWEVER if it is the 3 door one, then i congratulate you on excellent purchase decision ;D

also, throw some vxr alloys on that bitch.

.....just say yes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Why do you want to put low profile tyres on it?

It's an Astra, it's never going to be super cool! (Not that low-profiles make cars cooler anyway)
Reply 5
Depends on alloys, though low profile tyres are expensive

I've got corsa vxr alloys and they are 205/40/17. Low profile tyres but expensive to buy. Cost all together £500.

Some 5 door Astra's look nice.
Reply 6
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
2007 astra, eh :beard:
if it is a 5 door - be it the hatchback or estate - i will smack you. especially if it is the the 5 door hatchback - that looks so dull even the estate looks cooler.
HOWEVER if it is the 3 door one, then i congratulate you on excellent purchase decision ;D

also, throw some vxr alloys on that bitch.

.....just say yes.

It is indeed a 3 door haha, in black ;D Tis a bugger to keep clean though...
And I was thinking about the VXR ones actually, I would have bought a VXR if I had the funds lol

Original post by xsophx
Depends on alloys, though low profile tyres are expensive

I've got corsa vxr alloys and they are 205/40/17. Low profile tyres but expensive to buy. Cost all together £500.

Some 5 door Astra's look nice.

So the alloys and the tyres cost you £500 all together?
Reply 7
Original post by Maccees
And I was thinking about the VXR ones actually, I would have bought a VXR if I had the funds lol

So the alloys and the tyres cost you £500 all together?

Yeah thinks that what the OH said when he got me them. Though VXR18s alloys for the Astra cost can cost over £600 and if you want a pair, best of looking at car forums.
Reply 8
Original post by Ice_Queen
Why do you want to put low profile tyres on it?

It's an Astra, it's never going to be super cool! (Not that low-profiles make cars cooler anyway)

Why would you want to put make up on your face?

You're never going to be super cool, anyway.
Depends on how low a profile you're looking at :biggrin:

Also do take into account the original diameter of the wheel will change if you don't increase the rim size which means inaccurate speedometer reading.

It will be considered as a modification by your insurance company, so don't crash :biggrin:

Other things to consider....... the amount of potholes on our roads :biggrin: Knock a pothole and you just might bend or crack the alloy wheel :biggrin:

Sidewalls will be stiffer so the ride will be harsher and handling characteristics of the car will change as well. Dampers will likely have a shorter lifespan as well.
Original post by chazilton
Why would you want to put make up on your face?

You're never going to be super cool, anyway.

I'm never going to be super cool, but I can be super confident :smile: And my make-up is super cheap compared to what your insurance will be.
Reply 11
Original post by Ice_Queen
I'm never going to be super cool, but I can be super confident :smile: And my make-up is super cheap compared to what your insurance will be.

Tyre/alloy adjustment wont affect insurance.

(Make sure to tell them about the alloy change anyway though)
Reply 12
Original post by Maccees

Ha, i was like you.. if i had the funds i'd get a vxr, but i got an Astra SXi too. You'll like it, quite a basic car, you'll find the lack of pockets to put things in the car a bit of a pain and the little bit where the drink holder is quite a far behind, so it's quite a reach (well for me anyway with being small and the seat quite far forward). But that's just kinda being picky as the rest is pretty much perfect as a car should be.
Reply 13
Original post by Ghost
Tyre/alloy adjustment wont affect insurance.

(Make sure to tell them about the alloy change anyway though)

Depends on the insurance co.
I had to pay an extra 3 quid when I put wolfrace slotmags on my car and an extra tenner for the full length sunroof.
Reply 14
Remember low profile tyres won't actually do very much, and will probably ruin the ride.

If you are set on it, get yourself a set of Astra VXR alloys complete with tyres.

Out of interest, what engine does it have?
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Ha, i was like you.. if i had the funds i'd get a vxr, but i got an Astra SXi too. You'll like it, quite a basic car, you'll find the lack of pockets to put things in the car a bit of a pain and the little bit where the drink holder is quite a far behind, so it's quite a reach (well for me anyway with being small and the seat quite far forward). But that's just kinda being picky as the rest is pretty much perfect as a car should be.

.......did you ever find the indicator stalk to be a little difficult to work with?

when i was driving this astra, whenever i wanted to cancel the indiator command myself, it would always switch to the other indicator/side, no matter how gently or firmly i was pushing the stalk >_> d'oh!
Reply 16
.......did you ever find the indicator stalk to be a little difficult to work with?

when i was driving this astra, whenever i wanted to cancel the indiator command myself, it would always switch to the other indicator/side, no matter how gently or firmly i was pushing the stalk >_> d'oh!

Haha, yes! They take a bit of getting used to.
Reply 17

My Dad has an 07 Astra 1.7TD and I've never had a problem with the indicators, even though I've heard that a lot of people do. I borrowed it to take my ex gf to University last year, among other times (it's pretty cheap to add me to the insurance for a day). I was using the single click for three flashes to change lane and double click for junctions. Single click in the other direction to cancel. I honestly can't see what's so difficult about it that other people can't make it work but there you go.

I find lack of interior storage a MASSIVE downer with this car. The glove box and the door pockets are tiny, and that's all you get apart from a tiny cup holder behind the front seats. My 94 base spec Golf has two glove boxes, bigger door pockets, big pocket in front of the gear lever and a pocket (perfect for my phone) under the handbrake. I really can't see how Vauxhall failed so, so hard in terms of interior storage. The seats are horrendous too. I have relatively well developed scoliosis in my lower spine which gives me very bad back pain. In my old Land Rover and Morris Minor I could drive for three-four hours plus (old seats seem to be much better), the Golf is acceptable for journeys less than an hour - but the Astra, dear Christ, 20 minutes of driving and I'm in excruciating pain. Not cool at all.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest