The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hydrolysis
Yeah I've had a look at the courses and I like them both for different reasons, at Durham the optional modules are really cool ie Astronomy :sexface: but at Notts I can study in places like the USA and Australia for a year which I'd quite like. I'm very confused! Yeah I did but by the time they got back to me they'd run out of places so I got given St Cuths. A bit annoying as I applied early Oct but Cuths seemed nice when I went up so I don't mind too much :tongue: have you got Bulter then?

Yeah, the option modules are great...it is tempting to choose astronomy cuz they have the cool telescopes on the roof of the physics building iirc...but I think I will just stick to maths and physics (and the Harry Potter module :P).
Going to America would be cool, but I watched some lectures from MIT and I could shoot the person who was lecturing, because she pronounced Broglie phonetically and not 'Broi'...and pronounced Schrodinger wrong!
At Durham can you not just apply for a year at an American uni yourself, with the help of a couple of lecturers? Or would it just be ridiculously difficult?
Yeah, I got into Butler...I'm surprised how quickly Butler filled up for a lot of courses
Super jealous of

Archie!!
archie0705

you!
Getting into 2 of dream unis!
Did you do any work experience? Or anything that was got to wit hchem in your PS
Original post by thehaberprocess
Slightly scraping here but doesn't Durham have really limited lab spaces? Natsci at Durham is apparently really competitive especially if you want to take a chemistry stream, purely because of the labs? Bit worried here...(chem applicant):s-smilie:

Can't say I actually know but I'm sure when it comes to it everyone will be accommodated for, I doubt they'd accept the number of people they do if they couldn't!
Original post by archie0705
Yeah, the option modules are great...it is tempting to choose astronomy cuz they have the cool telescopes on the roof of the physics building iirc...but I think I will just stick to maths and physics (and the Harry Potter module :P).
Going to America would be cool, but I watched some lectures from MIT and I could shoot the person who was lecturing, because she pronounced Broglie phonetically and not 'Broi'...and pronounced Schrodinger wrong!
At Durham can you not just apply for a year at an American uni yourself, with the help of a couple of lecturers? Or would it just be ridiculously difficult?
Yeah, I got into Butler...I'm surprised how quickly Butler filled up for a lot of courses

Ah the Harry Potter module sounds like the best thing ever :') Yeah the accents can be as difficult to understand as it is a different language sometimes! Yeah I mean there's a possibility I could in the 4th year I think I read somewhere but if not it's not the end of the world. Lucky :P Yeah it was really fast
Original post by summermarble
Hi can i ask when did u have your interview at UCL ? cuz I had mine on 7/2. And i still haven't heard anything from them. I am really worry.

That's weird? Normally they say whether you're in or not within 24 hours (as stated on their website). Maybe you should call. They told me immediately that I got in. However, if they told you that you got in already and that they'll be sending you an offer, don't worry about it. They told me it'd take a week to process... ended up taking more than a month.
Original post by jasonsiewitz
That's weird? Normally they say whether you're in or not within 24 hours (as stated on their website). Maybe you should call. They told me immediately that I got in. However, if they told you that you got in already and that they'll be sending you an offer, don't worry about it. They told me it'd take a week to process... ended up taking more than a month.

They didn't tell me whether I am in or not. I don't think they did this to others who went to that open day as well >< The admission tutor said that he normally will give offer within 2 days. However he was busy with sth on that day so he might need few more days. But it's nearly 2 weeks...... the waiting is killing me. Should I send email and ask them? will they get annoyed if I ask them y I still haven't heard from them? And who should I send to ?? :frown:
They didn't tell me whether I am in or not. I don't think they did this to others who went to that open day as well &gt;&lt; The admission tutor said that he normally will give offer within 2 days. However he was busy with sth on that day so he might need few more days. But it's nearly 2 weeks...... the waiting is killing me. Should I send email and ask them? will they get annoyed if I ask them y I still haven't heard from them? And who should I send to ?? :frown:

What were your grades like? obviously they must have been good enough for u to ge tan interview
Original post by chignesh10
What were your grades like? obviously they must have been good enough for u to ge tan interview

I got AAAB and I feel my interview went ok.
I got AAAB and I feel my interview went ok.

You should probably get in then! Maybe wait till wednesday?
Have you got any other offers?
You should probably get in then! Maybe wait till wednesday?
Have you got any other offers?

I got Warwick York n Bath. But I really like UCL. That's y I am really worried about it. How about u?
I got Warwick York n Bath. But I really like UCL. That's y I am really worried about it. How about u?

I am a stalker of this thread, I am applying next year :tongue:
Ah ok! I am sure you'll get in , as long as your interview went well
I am a stalker of this thread, I am applying next year :tongue:
Ah ok! I am sure you'll get in , as long as your interview went well

Oh I thought u applied to Chem as well :redface:
I hope so... haha
Reply 1352
Anyone between to an open day at Liverpool?

If so could you give me a rough idea of what it's like? I know there's no interview, but the information regarding what goes on seems pretty lacking compared to all the others I have been to!
Original post by hydrolysis
Ah the Harry Potter module sounds like the best thing ever :') Yeah the accents can be as difficult to understand as it is a different language sometimes! Yeah I mean there's a possibility I could in the 4th year I think I read somewhere but if not it's not the end of the world. Lucky :P Yeah it was really fast

Yeah it does and someone on the Durham thread was saying that anyone can do it in their second year I think...though I won't do it...but I may stumble into some lectures if I have that time free :ninja: (which I doubt, as there'll be so much going on all of the time with all the sports and societies etc). Cool, if it isn't a must have for you then defos go to Durham (Astronomy > America or Aus)! I wonder how many chem applicants they let in to Butler.
Yeah it does and someone on the Durham thread was saying that anyone can do it in their second year I think...though I won't do it...but I may stumble into some lectures if I have that time free :ninja: (which I doubt, as there'll be so much going on all of the time with all the sports and societies etc). Cool, if it isn't a must have for you then defos go to Durham (Astronomy &gt; America or Aus)! I wonder how many chem applicants they let in to Butler.

Did a bit of stalking, why didn't you apply for physics? I am kinda in ur position in what u were then! As in I have nothing I can add for a chem PS, so what did u do over summer?
Did you do any work experience? Or anything that was got to wit hchem in your PS

No work experience, but I did go to a summer school at Cambridge due to getting one of the highest marks in this: http://www.c3l6.org/ . get your teacher to sign your school up for the test...its just after exams and takes no revision. I wrote about that. I wrote about Carbonyls and thermodynamics. Then a lot (about 1400 characters) about my extra curricular activities like pole vault.
Did a bit of stalking, why didn't you apply for physics? I am kinda in ur position in what u were then! As in I have nothing I can add for a chem PS, so what did u do over summer?

Physics is for losers! :P Don't apply to physics just because you can write more about it in your PS...just pick something from the A level syllabus that you like, buy a book on it, then talk about that topic and how you have extended your knowledge beyond A level.
No work experience, but I did go to a summer school at Cambridge due to getting one of the highest marks in this: http://www.c3l6.org/ . get your teacher to sign your school up for the test...its just after exams and takes no revision. I wrote about that. I wrote about Carbonyls and thermodynamics. Then a lot (about 1400 characters) about my extra curricular activities like pole vault.

Ah ok, well my school has signed up for it! So I'll try and do it.
Just saw your post under, I recently got the most read chemistry book I think :P Why chemical reactions happen, so I'll give that a read.
My extra curriculars arent too good :frown:
I am hoping that UCL and Imp dont look too much at that, I only play cricket, doing DofE and some volunteering
Yeah it does and someone on the Durham thread was saying that anyone can do it in their second year I think...though I won't do it...but I may stumble into some lectures if I have that time free :ninja: (which I doubt, as there'll be so much going on all of the time with all the sports and societies etc). Cool, if it isn't a must have for you then defos go to Durham (Astronomy > America or Aus)! I wonder how many chem applicants they let in to Butler.

Being able to watch/read Harry Potter as revision would be amazing! Although I'm guessing it's rather oversubscribed for haha. Yeah they have so many socities ect :smile: Probably only let in a handful, they must have met their quota when my application came around
Also, I saw your grades, why didn;t you apply to Imperial or even UCL?

Sorry, just saw this. I live in London and the thought of going to uni in central makes my head want to explode, way too busy and TFL are a nightmare!

Latest

Trending

Trending