The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinkcherrytart
so who has actually had an interview from UCL? and what were they asked?

I did back in November, it wasn't that bad.
Just got asked stuff on organic chemistry mostly, had to draw out mechanisms and answer stuff about isomerism and ammonia
I'm having a difficult time deciding on my insurance. Should I go for UCL (AAA) or Warwick(AAB)? I will be visiting Warwick on saturday though, i herd they are building new labs, and UCL looks nice too. I will put Imperial as my firm but I am not feeling very confidant at the moment (not been revising at all:s-smilie:).
University of York Unconditional :smile:
Original post by hydrolysis
Being able to watch/read Harry Potter as revision would be amazing! Although I'm guessing it's rather oversubscribed for haha. Yeah they have so many socities ect :smile: Probably only let in a handful, they must have met their quota when my application came around

Yeah, that would be rah good. I guess the ones who read the book get good marks and the ones who watch the films get bad marks :P

Yeah, Butler must be popular this year
Sheffield offer Woot! ABB.
Original post by summermarble
They didn't tell me whether I am in or not. I don't think they did this to others who went to that open day as well >< The admission tutor said that he normally will give offer within 2 days. However he was busy with sth on that day so he might need few more days. But it's nearly 2 weeks...... the waiting is killing me. Should I send email and ask them? will they get annoyed if I ask them y I still haven't heard from them? And who should I send to ?? :frown:

hey sorry I wasn't aware that you replied.

Wait so has he told you he would give you an offer or...?

If not or if they haven't contacted you at all, I think you should try to contact them. Maybe they forgot about it or it simply didn't send. I mean, if you keep waiting, they'll continue giving offers to other people and eventually, the course will reach it capacity. Then, they'll find your application, perhaps realise that they were gonna give you an offer, but can't anymore. I don't think they'll take offence from you wanting to contact them. Just don't sound needy. Two weeks is a bit much so I think it'd be more their responsibility to tell you.

Btw, rather than e-mail, maybe you should call. It seems more involved and, if they had already considered your application, they'll tell you the results immediately rather than keep you nervous about whether or not they're gonna change their decision because you lost patience xD. Anyway, good luck, hope to see you this... year? xD
Just out of curiosity, anybody been accepted to do chemistry without A level maths? If so, where? I'm curious how many Uni's offer it without Maths
Original post by Woodworth
Just out of curiosity, anybody been accepted to do chemistry without A level maths? If so, where? I'm curious how many Uni's offer it without Maths

I'm a 2nd year student at Birmingham and I didn't do A level maths, quite a few people in my year didn't actually. Obviously the unis I applied to at the time didn't require it (though I can't guarantee the same is true now) and they were: Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Manchester and UCL.
Reply 1368
Original post by .snowflake.
Anyone sat the Chemistry olympiad this year?

Yes- it was a nightmare. I haven't even asked to get my mark back as I figured there was no point. I guessed pretty much all of it... What did you think of it?
Reply 1369
Original post by pinkcherrytart
so who has actually had an interview from UCL? and what were they asked?

I did in November- I wasn't asked much Chemistry really. Why I wanted to go to UCL then what I was learning about in all my subjects at the time... I wasn't even asked why I wanted to study Chemistry...
Reply 1370

I think St. Andrews and Bath don't. Bristol definitely needs Maths now... Not sure about any others, just look on UCAS.
Original post by rr52
I think St. Andrews and Bath don't. Bristol definitely needs Maths now... Not sure about any others, just look on UCAS.

Original post by Witty Username
I'm a 2nd year student at Birmingham and I didn't do A level maths, quite a few people in my year didn't actually. Obviously the unis I applied to at the time didn't require it (though I can't guarantee the same is true now) and they were: Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Manchester and UCL.

oo ok, All the open days i visited they stopped me when i said i did Chemistry + Maths and said that's perfect. I also met somebody who is on a gap year + has HAD to take Maths during this year to get an offer for Leeds and Nottingham.
Maybe they're just the picky ones.
Original post by rr52
Yes- it was a nightmare. I haven't even asked to get my mark back as I figured there was no point. I guessed pretty much all of it... What did you think of it?

it was an absolute 'mare. got 2/3 marks on the pH Q near the beginning. Completely guessed it. I know what 3 of us got, what the other Y12 guy got, I dont know. Cant imagine it will have been amazing considering every time he turned the page he went 'Oh dear'. The general knowledge Q was EVIL.

I have conditional offers for York, Sheffield, UEA, Man Met and I've an interview for UCL.
Anyone had an offer from Birmingham? If so, how long after your interview did you get it?

Had a letter from UCL saying I'd got an offer, last week. Thought the interview was terrible! Hasn't come through on UCAS yet though, so don't know what it is.
oo ok, All the open days i visited they stopped me when i said i did Chemistry + Maths and said that's perfect. I also met somebody who is on a gap year + has HAD to take Maths during this year to get an offer for Leeds and Nottingham.
Maybe they're just the picky ones.

Fair, when I applied UCL did recommend that I studied some of the A level material prior to uni to help bridge the gap, so I'd done a bit of reading around the maths required anyway.
Reply 1376
Original post by Alexdaman93
Anyone had an offer from Birmingham? If so, how long after your interview did you get it?

Had a letter from UCL saying I'd got an offer, last week. Thought the interview was terrible! Hasn't come through on UCAS yet though, so don't know what it is.

I was told I'd get an offer in my interview, got a letter a couple of days later and it came through on UCAS about a week after my interview.
Reply 1377
Original post by .snowflake.
it was an absolute 'mare. got 2/3 marks on the pH Q near the beginning. Completely guessed it. I know what 3 of us got, what the other Y12 guy got, I dont know. Cant imagine it will have been amazing considering every time he turned the page he went 'Oh dear'. The general knowledge Q was EVIL.

Haha yeah- the general knowledge bit was weird. I guessed all of it... Also, all those optical isomer cars on the last page... Nearly gave me a headache trying to figure them out- I just gave up and guessed again in the end!!
Woo, offer from Bham
Reply 1379
Still nothing back from Durham at all, I applied before the oxbridge deadline, any one else in the same situation?

Latest

Trending

Trending