The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would like to take this oppurtunity to remind the delegates that a certain distance is needed between the press and the government, and without this distance the idea of a free press is gone; an idea which has been an ideological success for Europe and North America.
Reply 2
IF a saudi arabian press printed, say jesus fornicating with women and peroforming the most blasphemous acts, would you not expect us to act? we understand the right to free press, but this must not cross into granting right to free reign. we must stand united against racism of any form. this comic strip clearly is blasphemous to Islam as well as portraying a stereotype which leads to greater racial hatred.
Perhaps Saudi Arabia would look to the anti-semetic cartoons in Arab News before commenting on racism in the press. After all, Arab News is a Government-run publication, whilst the Danish one is privately owned.
Reply 4
Please show me a specific example.
Reply 6
The Federative Republic of Brazil is not all together happy about these danish cartoons, but would also like to back up the words of the delagate in the prevoius post.
The United Arab Emirates is sad to hear the news and expresses their concern at the Danish Media for having a lack of respect. We demand an apology from a racist and attack.
Reply 8
Argentina feels it's vital for the media and newspaper to publish what they like without restrictions as long as it doesn't discriminate against ones race nor religion, this is clearly insulting a religon. Argentina is sceptical about the motifs behind these cartoon and feel it used as a political tool to deliberately offend and bring the country into disrepute.

Argentina also strongly condemns the call by Danish media to exterminate Muslims and wants more actions from the Danish government against the growing rise of Islamophobia in Denmark. Source
Reply 9
is this the beginning of a Muslim holocaust in europe? if this called for the extermination of Jews, then the world would be up in arms and those responsible brought to trial, facing a much more severe punishment than the banning of the radio station for a mere three months. the KSA calls for action and warns that such actions onl fuel islamic extremism. Denmark may not have been a target up until now, but if it continues down this path it will soon find terrorists in its own back yard.
Don't you mean insulting a religion, not a race? Other than that quibbling detail, I agree.

One step forward would be to ask those responsible WHY they felt the need to publish the cartoon. Not "why they consider it legal", because that'll just bring up the same "free speech" defence. But "why they wanted it to appear in their paper at all".
Reply 11
France condemns the alarmist response of Saudi Arabia to this article. Whilst France acknowledges the distasteful nature of the press article at hand, we remind Saudi Arabia that all groups here are fair game for criticism, and Jews, Muslims, Freemasons and everyone else are open for criticism, and indeed criticised, in our open and free press.

France would remind Saudi Arabia that a free press, without state interference or management, is a key tenet of democracy, and until the Saudi delegate can boast of such a free press in the Kingdom, requests that the delgate refrains from such alarmist nonsense.
Reply 12
Agent Smith
Don't you mean insulting a religion, not a race? Other than that quibbling detail, I agree.

Typo mistake, thanks
Reply 13
I don't see what's overtly anti semitic about those.

The Republic of Venezuela condemnd the depiction of the prophet Mohammad with a bomb in his turban as Islamophobic and as an act designed to increase hostility towards Denmark's muslim community.
teehar
is this the beginning of a Muslim holocaust in europe? if this called for the extermination of Jews, then the world would be up in arms and those responsible brought to trial, facing a much more severe punishment than the banning of the radio station for a mere three months. the KSA calls for action and warns that such actions onl fuel islamic extremism. Denmark may not have been a target up until now, but if it continues down this path it will soon find terrorists in its own back yard.

Again, the delegate ignores my post about hypocrisy when relating to matters of press. Trying to illegally silence this newspaper will NOT make the feelings go away, nor will they calm because of it. The only thing it would do is push this hatred underground where the police and government have NO control.

Is your last line a threat or a promise?

--------------

Northumbrian
I don't see what's overtly anti semitic about those.

I would like to point you to the last cartoon from that link; It's a clear perpetuation of the idea that the Jews are no more than vermin who are to be exterminated. If that does not constitute anti-semitism, perhaps the delegate would like to tell everyone how far it must go before it is considered to be.
Reply 15
ForeverIsMyName
Again, the delegate ignores my post about hypocrisy when relating to matters of press. Trying to illegally silence this newspaper will NOT make the feelings go away, nor will they calm because of it. The only thing it would do is push this hatred underground where the police and government have NO control.

Is your last line a threat or a promise?

--------------

I would like to point you to the last cartoon from that link; It's a clear perpetuation of the idea that the Jews are no more than vermin who are to be exterminated. If that does not constitute anti-semitism, perhaps the delegate would like to tell everyone how far it must go before it is considered to be.
Who do you represent?
Zimbabwe would like to point out the benefits of a 'free' press are overdramaticised and hyperbolised. The concept of free press is one that is poorly and wrongly interpreted. There is nothing free about a system where the most wealthy can afford to publish illustrious newspapers, where the least cannot publish anything. Continuning on with this, this leads to a situation where the press can become totally unaligned with public good and consensus. Hence, the press should be aligned with the democratic voice of the people, in the government rather than in the market, where only the rich and ruthless prosper.

Zimbabwe here points out the importance of a goverment-controlled press, where such an un-alignment cannot occur to the detriment of the foreign status and reputation of a government and its people. Only can the democratically elected government (as in Zimbabwe) truely represent the voice of the people - not some rich tycoons who can sway the papers however they wish.
Carl
Who do you represent?

I dunno lol... how do you sign up for a country?
Reply 18
ForeverIsMyName
I dunno lol... how do you sign up for a country?
Go to userCP>group memberships (on the column on the left)>and the MUN is somewhere on there.

In reason place your country of choice. A list of all the taken countries is in the welcome to MUN II thread.

As a libertarian you sound good for Singapore.
jasperstory
Zimbabwe would like to point out the benefits of a 'free' press are overdramaticised and hyperbolised. The concept of free press is one that is poorly and wrongly interpreted. There is nothing free about a system where the most wealthy can afford to publish illustrious newspapers, where the least cannot publish anything. Continuning on with this, this leads to a situation where the press can become totally unaligned with public good and consensus. Hence, the press should be aligned with the democratic voice of the people, in the government rather than in the market, where only the rich and ruthless prosper.

Zimbabwe here points out the importance of a goverment-controlled press, where such an un-alignment cannot occur to the detriment of the foreign status and reputation of a government and its people. Only can the democratically elected government (as in Zimbabwe) truely represent the voice of the people - not some rich tycoons who can sway the papers however they wish.

As soon as the world feels ready for domestic affairs advice from Zimbabwe, or on any other matter, perhaps it will be asked. The "democratically elected government" of Zimbabwe does not currently run a vast Utopia of smiles and prosperity within their own state, so before showing benefits of democratic, state controlled press, I would ask ZImbabwe to give one way in which the general public can scrutinise and make accountable the government of the day if there is no way to widely distribute any documents that relate to the failures of said government?

Latest

Trending

Trending