The Student Room Group

PGCE Cuts - No Bursary

I've a conditional offer for a PGCE starting this Sept and I found out a few days ago that I woudn't be getting any bursary at all as I'm doing a primary PGCE. This has almost totally put me off doing it, even though I've worked for the last three years towards doing this course. How is everyone else feeling about not getting bursaries for a lot of the courses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didnt mind at first because I can understand that people in the public sector are losing their jobs and the government couldnt afford to give us a few thousand each. However, now they are looking at reintroducing it next year, it is really annoying. I wrote to my MP to find out why they have taken away a system before they are replacing it and to find out whether we are entitled to next years bursary. This is assuming next years happen, they are only consulting at the minute.
Reply 2
I read that they are phasing out PGCE's altogether and I doubt there will be any PGCE courses at all next year. So why get into so much debt for a course that won't even be needed next year?
Reply 3
What ever they do you will still need QTS
If you qualify before the changes, you will still be qualified :smile:
Reply 5
That's true. Even if the current gvt don't think a PGCE is important, I'm sure heads will.

H4zelh - how will we get QTS w/o a PGCE?
There are other routes, such as the SCITT and GTP :smile:
Reply 7
If you'll need the extra money, why don't you consider a Career Development Loan?
Reply 8
Original post by noodles!
If you'll need the extra money, why don't you consider a Career Development Loan?

You cannot apply for a career development loan if you are receiving student finance.
Reply 9
Original post by evantej
You cannot apply for a career development loan if you are receiving student finance.

From the directgov site:

"For example, you couldn’t get one if you’re planning to study full-time for a first degree (because there’s a separate package of student loans available).
However, if your costs are only partly covered you may be able to ‘top up’ the funding with a Professional and Career Development Loan. For example, if you’re getting a grant for your course fees, you could apply for a loan to help with your living costs."

.... so to me if you can prove that you won't be able to live off your loans I don't see why you couldn't apply. I emailed for an information pack and told them my circumstances (receiving loans for a PGCE) and I wasn't shot down in flames, I've yet to apply but if they were that averse to it surely they would have said something.
Reply 10
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by noodles!
From the directgov site:

"For example, you couldn’t get one if you’re planning to study full-time for a first degree (because there’s a separate package of student loans available).
However, if your costs are only partly covered you may be able to ‘top up’ the funding with a Professional and Career Development Loan. For example, if you’re getting a grant for your course fees, you could apply for a loan to help with your living costs."

.... so to me if you can prove that you won't be able to live off your loans I don't see why you couldn't apply. I emailed for an information pack and told them my circumstances (receiving loans for a PGCE) and I wasn't shot down in flames, I've yet to apply but if they were that averse to it surely they would have said something.

The career development loan is not meant to top up existing funding; it is a separate thing with a completely different purpose. Unless you lie on your application form, I can assure you that you will be turned down by the banks. The quotation above requires to those self funding at postgraduate level, perhaps being subsidised depending on their area, not to PGCE students who are eligible for government funding that does not - in some cases - stretch far enough.
Original post by VickyS83
I read that they are phasing out PGCE's altogether and I doubt there will be any PGCE courses at all next year. So why get into so much debt for a course that won't even be needed next year?

This isn't correct. 1% of trainee teachers come from Teach First and 13% from GTP. The rest come from PGCEs or undergraduate teacher training courses.
Original post by Mr M
This isn't correct. 1% of trainee teachers come from Teach First and 13% from GTP. The rest come from PGCEs or undergraduate teacher training courses.

Also, the PGCE is the only route that gives you Masters credits.

It is a very weird government that pushes trainees out of PGCEs with one hand and then tells them they want teaching to be a Masters only profession with the other.

I have written my letter to my MP today :smile: I will be writing one to Gove too but someone might have to remove all the swearing from it. I hate that man.
Original post by Suzanathema
Also, the PGCE is the only route that gives you Masters credits.

It is a very weird government that pushes trainees out of PGCEs with one hand and then tells them they want teaching to be a Masters only profession with the other.

I have written my letter to my MP today :smile: I will be writing one to Gove too but someone might have to remove all the swearing from it. I hate that man.

It was the previous Government that was interested in Masters degrees.
Original post by Mr M
It was the previous Government that was interested in Masters degrees.

I thought this government supported that too?

Hm, anyway, the Masters credits surely make the PGCE the best route into teaching.
I thought this government supported that too?

Hm, anyway, the Masters credits surely make the PGCE the best route into teaching.

I'm afraid schools really don't give two hoots about Masters credits.
Original post by Mr M
I'm afraid schools really don't give two hoots about Masters credits.

Would they care when you've completed it?

(the M.ed that is)
Would they care when you've completed it?

(the M.ed that is)

No, sorry. It makes no difference whatsoever.
Original post by Mr M
No, sorry. It makes no difference whatsoever.

That's interesting. I will probably do one still, for furthering my own knowledge rather than for a pay rise or whatever, but I did assume that schools would want to keep teaching prestigious by encouraging further study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending