The Student Room Group

Masters in Public Health: LSHTM or Karolinska Institute (Sweden)?

Hi all!

I have seen some very useful discussion here about several public health masters so hopefully your view will help with my dilemma of LSHTM or KI (Karolinska Institute) in Sweden.

I have seen quite some threads here talking about LSHTM and understand that it's truly a prestigious school, and I have an offer for MSc Public Health at LSHTM.

Does anyone know anything about KI? As far as I know it's a reputable medical university but I haven't seen its name when people are discussing about the best public schools in the world. I am thinking of doing MPH there which is a 2-year course.

Any comments would be useful! Especially anything about KI (living environment, university culture, facility and living costs etc)

Many thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't help with info about Karolinska but congrats on getting offer at LSHTM - I'm still waiting.......:frown:
Reply 2
Original post by nahc
Hi all!

I have seen some very useful discussion here about several public health masters so hopefully your view will help with my dilemma of LSHTM or KI (Karolinska Institute) in Sweden.

I have seen quite some threads here talking about LSHTM and understand that it's truly a prestigious school, and I have an offer for MSc Public Health at LSHTM.

Does anyone know anything about KI? As far as I know it's a reputable medical university but I haven't seen its name when people are discussing about the best public schools in the world. I am thinking of doing MPH there which is a 2-year course.

Any comments would be useful! Especially anything about KI (living environment, university culture, facility and living costs etc)

Many thanks in advance!

Well Stockholm is a beautiful place to live in. I can't say much about KTH ( Kungliga Tekniska högskolan) or Karolinska Institute in English but I have friends who study there and my boyfriend's mum went there. It is really where you go in Sweden to train in Medicine in Sweden.

Sweden is a great country to live in. Stockholm can be expensive but pretty much the same as how London can be. You'd probably have to budget a minimum of SEK 80000 (8000 pounds) a year if not more. Swedes are generally friendly to foreigners and are fluent in English however it would be rewarding to learn Swedish whilst in Stockholm.

I personally would go to Sweden, I could be biased though! KTH has a great reputation and I'm sure you'd love it there :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ehealth
Can't help with info about Karolinska but congrats on getting offer at LSHTM - I'm still waiting.......:frown:

It does take a while to hear from LSHTM so keep your hope up and good luck!
What have you applied to? And where else are you considering to go?
Reply 4
Original post by starforsure
Well Stockholm is a beautiful place to live in. I can't say much about KTH ( Kungliga Tekniska högskolan) or Karolinska Institute in English but I have friends who study there and my boyfriend's mum went there. It is really where you go in Sweden to train in Medicine in Sweden.

Sweden is a great country to live in. Stockholm can be expensive but pretty much the same as how London can be. You'd probably have to budget a minimum of SEK 80000 (8000 pounds) a year if not more. Swedes are generally friendly to foreigners and are fluent in English however it would be rewarding to learn Swedish whilst in Stockholm.

I personally would go to Sweden, I could be biased though! KTH has a great reputation and I'm sure you'd love it there :smile:

Thanks for the advice and I have not been to Stockholm so I'm glad to know it's a lovely place to be!

Yes personally based on what I hear about Stockholm and the Swedes, I definitely would love to explore Sweden. But there are many other factors to consider so it is still a huge dilemma :redface:

I know it's very reputable in medical training but not sure about public health, it's probably a very good school in general anyway but wonder how is it when compared to LSHTM...
Reply 5
Original post by nahc

Thanks - Applied for Msc Public Health and also applied to Kings.

I also applied to Imperial but got rejected (very quickly)
Original post by nahc
Thanks for the advice and I have not been to Stockholm so I'm glad to know it's a lovely place to be!

Yes personally based on what I hear about Stockholm and the Swedes, I definitely would love to explore Sweden. But there are many other factors to consider so it is still a huge dilemma :redface:

I know it's very reputable in medical training but not sure about public health, it's probably a very good school in general anyway but wonder how is it when compared to LSHTM...

Well I've lived most of my life in Britain and all I can say is that a UK degree especially one from London (LSHTM) is respected all over the world and even though Swedish universities are excellent they just don't have the same reputation around the world.

If I may put my two cents in, stick to Britain especially since you seem to be a bit confused at this point. I have plans to apply to Stockholm and Lund for my masters in Linguistics and even though I'm fluent in Swedish, half my family's from Sweden and my boyfriend lives there, I know I'd prefer to go to UCL or KCL at the end of the day. (if I get in that is!)

PS: I'm starforsure :smile: I am using my sister's laptop and since Safari doesn't log you out and I've been posting replies from her account :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
KI is a great school but as linguafranca said Swedish schools lack internationally (if you ask me they do deserve better positions in the rankings). If you want to work abroad (ie not Sweden) I think London is better.

I have some friends at KI who tell me that there actually is some student life there as well, not common in Stockholm. Keep in mind that finding a flat in Stockholm can be very difficult, I don't know but maybe Karolinska has some kind of guarantee for international students.
Reply 8
Original post by ehealth
Thanks - Applied for Msc Public Health and also applied to Kings.

I also applied to Imperial but got rejected (very quickly)

In my case LSHTM took (much) longer than others!

And when they reject quickly I suppose it's either they are already full or there's something missing (eg relevant work experience in my case).
Reply 9
Original post by linguafranca
Well I've lived most of my life in Britain and all I can say is that a UK degree especially one from London (LSHTM) is respected all over the world and even though Swedish universities are excellent they just don't have the same reputation around the world.

If I may put my two cents in, stick to Britain especially since you seem to be a bit confused at this point. I have plans to apply to Stockholm and Lund for my masters in Linguistics and even though I'm fluent in Swedish, half my family's from Sweden and my boyfriend lives there, I know I'd prefer to go to UCL or KCL at the end of the day. (if I get in that is!)

PS: I'm starforsure :smile: I am using my sister's laptop and since Safari doesn't log you out and I've been posting replies from her account :biggrin:

Likewise! Most of my schooling period was spent in the UK and that's why studying abroad seems very appealing. And I cannot agree more that UK schools definitely are more well-known even though I believe that Swedish Uni are of very high quality as well.

I know for sure that LSHTM is more reputable but the very high living cost in London plus tuition fee.... and with the very hectic transportation, it's daunting!

If UCL offers the best course for you then you should go for it! But if I have other choices I'd prefer studying outside London, in beautiful towns (cities) like Bath, Edinburgh etc which I have really enjoyed!
Reply 10
Original post by rsq
KI is a great school but as linguafranca said Swedish schools lack internationally (if you ask me they do deserve better positions in the rankings). If you want to work abroad (ie not Sweden) I think London is better.

I have some friends at KI who tell me that there actually is some student life there as well, not common in Stockholm. Keep in mind that finding a flat in Stockholm can be very difficult, I don't know but maybe Karolinska has some kind of guarantee for international students.

Thanks rsq! It is very convincing to hear from someone Swedish!

Yes now I think I am going towards London... although finding (affordable) accommodation is also very difficult there.

Would you go abroad for education?
Reply 11
Original post by nahc
Thanks rsq! It is very convincing to hear from someone Swedish!

Yes now I think I am going towards London... although finding (affordable) accommodation is also very difficult there.

Would you go abroad for education?

Yeah it's very expensive I can imagine.
Funny you would ask that :P I was actually accepted for a BSc at Warwick and a BSc at Cass business school (City uni.) 2 years ago but declined it to stay in Sweden. I'm doing a BSc here now instead but I'm very interested in doing a masters in the uk. Either at cambridge or something at durham, ucl or st andrews.

Have fun in London, I'm sure it's going to be great :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by rsq
Yeah it's very expensive I can imagine.
Funny you would ask that :P I was actually accepted for a BSc at Warwick and a BSc at Cass business school (City uni.) 2 years ago but declined it to stay in Sweden. I'm doing a BSc here now instead but I'm very interested in doing a masters in the uk. Either at cambridge or something at durham, ucl or st andrews.

Have fun in London, I'm sure it's going to be great :smile:

Ah that's very interesting!
All the schools you mentioned are top schools in the UK and their locations vary so much in nature, so you'll have a good range of choices!

I think I am going to London but I will try to get some work experience abroad... hope it's not too difficult to get a job in Sweden!!
Reply 13
hey even i got an admission in MPH sweden and LSHTM and i was pretty confused where to go, but eventually i chose london :smile:

hope to c ya dere :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by xyn
hey even i got an admission in MPH sweden and LSHTM and i was pretty confused where to go, but eventually i chose london :smile:

hope to c ya dere :biggrin:

Hello! That's amazing! I hope to see you in London too :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by nahc

I was offered a place today! Really pleased:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by ehealth
I was offered a place today! Really pleased:smile:

Congrats on your offer!! :smile: :smile:

How long did you wait to get your offer from the LSHTM?
Reply 17
congrats on your offer, how long did you wait to get your acceptance offer from LSHTM?
Original post by MPHGrad
congrats on your offer, how long did you wait to get your acceptance offer from LSHTM?

This thread is from 2011.
Reply 19
But i still need the answer :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending