The Student Room Group

5 A'Levels?? Calling everyone doing 5 A'Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I did 5 AS levels and it was fine, but I think 5 A2s would have given me a nervous breakdown, tbh.
Reply 61
Original post by Roobz
ooh thanks fr that! it is very helpful. I think i'd better apply to Cambridge now but i'll call the oxford ppl first and discuss my case with them and see what they say cuz i've got 12 gcses effectively, but of those 4 are O'Levels with A grades - in O'Levels A is the highest grade-8 gcses with 6 A* and 2 A's - also i have a Top in The World award in one subject but i'm not sure if it makes any difference.
Do you know if they recognise any Toppers in A'Levels? I mean do they give awards to people with the highest marks in different subjects?

I'd imagine they would look at GCSEs only, which would give you a mediocre 75% A*. You could overcome this by getting a good BMAT, and its worth giving them a call, but like you say it might be worth applying to Cambridge instead. After all, like i said they get half as many applicants per place! Wait and see if you get good UMS grades at AS level (looking for 90+, possibly more for medicine), and make the decision then.

A top of the world award is impressive and will count for something at both unis, although it still doesn't guarantee you an interview at Oxford. I don't know if they give similar awards for A-level, but i'd imagine they do.
Reply 62
Original post by nexttime
I'd imagine they would look at GCSEs only, which would give you a mediocre 75% A*. You could overcome this by getting a good BMAT, and its worth giving them a call, but like you say it might be worth applying to Cambridge instead. After all, like i said they get half as many applicants per place! Wait and see if you get good UMS grades at AS level (looking for 90+, possibly more for medicine), and make the decision then.

A top of the world award is impressive and will count for something at both unis, although it still doesn't guarantee you an interview at Oxford. I don't know if they give similar awards for A-level, but i'd imagine they do.

wat is BMAT like? is it easy as compared to A'Level exams?
Reply 63
Original post by Roobz
wat is BMAT like? is it easy as compared to A'Level exams?

Well, it is aimed at separating top A-level students that are getting AAA+, so no its not easy! To quote what they say: "The scale has been designed so that typical applicants to the most highly selective undergraduate university courses in the UK (who are by definition academically very able) will score around 5.0"

The other people i knew who took it (who were good students and got As in the end) came out with 4.0 and below.

Personally, I was helped a lot by being a naturally very logical thinker, and although it relies only on GCSE science knowledge, doing the extra science and maths was certainly very helpful when trying to tackle section 2. Don't really remember much about section 1. I hadn't done any essays in over a year and section 3 was expectedly much lower than my other two scores. Fortunately, Oxford weight section 3 half as much as 1 and 2.
Reply 64
I have taken 2 already and next year I am taking 3 more giving me 5.

Don't do 5 A levels in one year...unless you are willing to give up your life, or find it easy (it certainly won't be)
Reply 65
Original post by nexttime
Well, it is aimed at separating top A-level students that are getting AAA+, so no its not easy! To quote what they say: "The scale has been designed so that typical applicants to the most highly selective undergraduate university courses in the UK (who are by definition academically very able) will score around 5.0"

The other people i knew who took it (who were good students and got As in the end) came out with 4.0 and below.

Personally, I was helped a lot by being a naturally very logical thinker, and although it relies only on GCSE science knowledge, doing the extra science and maths was certainly very helpful when trying to tackle section 2. Don't really remember much about section 1. I hadn't done any essays in over a year and section 3 was expectedly much lower than my other two scores. Fortunately, Oxford weight section 3 half as much as 1 and 2.

omg i checked them and they are not that hard but i would like some more time for it lol but i think i did it without any revision or anything so i kinda had to think which equations to use in Sec 2. With revision i think i'll be fine. Sec 3 was really confusing i dont really like them. lets hope that i do fine in them. when do we sit the exam? Thanks :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Roobz
when do we sit the exam? Thanks :smile:

End of October - you have plenty of time!

Quick Reply

Latest