The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mezlande
Congrats everyone so far who has an offer!
Having bitterly convinced myself that St A only accept Americans, EU students, Scots and mega rich people, I was utterly surprised to get a phone call asking if I would like a place :smile: Some UCAS mess-up said that I had already rejected them so they asked if I'd accept another course (which was actually the course I had applied to) :s-smilie:

Anyways, I have an offer for Molecular Biology. But the main reason for message is this - My expected grades are AAB - So if you're a little intimidated by all these A* applicants raving about being accepted at Oxbridge and not St A then don't be! :biggrin: The guy on the phone implied it was hugely based of PS and a well-rounded character. Good luck to all you guys still waiting!!

Wow that's great! In my case I suppose the PS was really important too (I kinda had to rush it though!), because my IGCSE grades are SO average, and in the IB I got barely the minimum requirement... with so, so many people who have more than the minimum!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Chuck Norris
Unconditional for computer science came through today!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I FEEL LIKE A CHEETAH ON COCAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Bitch please, I danced to "Material Girl" when I knew :biggrin:
Reply 2182
Original post by henriksebastian
I got an unconditional for MA Economics, with my 37 points in the IB! They switched me to it from a conditional of Econ - IR asking 38 points AND for me to be classified "overseas". I'm really happy and feel lucky since my IGCSE grades for example aren't anything special.

Now that they've removed that condition, I'd really like to try to change my classification to "EU" (slightly possible). However, I wouldn't want to take the risk of having my offer wirthdrawn! Especially since I previously had that condition, which suggests that my Fee $tatu$ "might" have been a factor why they accepted me...

Can they wirthdraw an unconditional offer even if I have already accepted it?

I'm pretty sure they can because your "contract" with the university is based on your fee status too and changing it might be considered a breach of contract. And then it'd up to the university if they still want you.
Original post by maitai
Yeah that's what I thought. Thank goodness!

In my case, I was informed that "You were classed as an Overseas student back in December, and that is how we processed your application. Should you wish to change fee status to Home, we would have to re-consider your application under the Home/EU framework. At this time of year, we have no further places, so it is possible that your offer would be rescinded, should your fee status be changed."

I guess it depends on the University. I think I'll accept the offer anyway and just put up with the cost, and then maybe get a lower fee for 2nd year.
Reply 2184
Hello! Has anyone firmed for Computer Science? :smile:
Reply 2185
In my case, I was informed that "You were classed as an Overseas student back in December, and that is how we processed your application. Should you wish to change fee status to Home, we would have to re-consider your application under the Home/EU framework. At this time of year, we have no further places, so it is possible that your offer would be rescinded, should your fee status be changed."

I guess it depends on the University. I think I'll accept the offer anyway and just put up with the cost, and then maybe get a lower fee for 2nd year.

It's because overseas and home/EU students are considered for place differently. I mean, really differently. And sad to say, most of it is based on the fact that you bring in a lot more cash than the rest of us.

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure what you're suggesting to do; potentially changing fee status in 2nd year won't work. I can be wrong, but my guess is that they'll say straight out that you're not allowed to do that. But one thing I am fairly sure of it that your fee won't change over the course of the degree. Besides maybe some inflation, it'll stay the same, so no horrific jumps in cost.
Hopefully, if I'm wrong one of the others will tell me, but I'm pretty sure you can't switch fee status once you're here. Sorry. :frown:
Original post by al135
Hello! Has anyone firmed for Computer Science? :smile:

Yup, you?
Reply 2187
Original post by Chuck Norris
Yup, you?

Me too! :smile:
Cool, have you applied for accommodation yet?
Come join us on FB! There's a "St. Andrews Applicants 2012" group!
Original post by Helsy
It's because overseas and home/EU students are considered for place differently. I mean, really differently. And sad to say, most of it is based on the fact that you bring in a lot more cash than the rest of us.

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure what you're suggesting to do; potentially changing fee status in 2nd year won't work. I can be wrong, but my guess is that they'll say straight out that you're not allowed to do that. But one thing I am fairly sure of it that your fee won't change over the course of the degree. Besides maybe some inflation, it'll stay the same, so no horrific jumps in cost.
Hopefully, if I'm wrong one of the others will tell me, but I'm pretty sure you can't switch fee status once you're here. Sorry. :frown:

Found this:
"Students who are unhappy with being assessed as overseas fee payers may challenging their fee status after they have accepted a place on the course. However, fees set at the time of the matriculation must be paid. Refunds will be given, if a student status changes the fee due. Note: When a fee statusis reasessed after the term starts, the home fees are charged for the next academic year"
- http://www.docstoc.com/docs/16206543/FEE-STATUS
It's written by St. Andrews. However, it's maybe a bit outdated.
Reply 2191
Found this:
"Students who are unhappy with being assessed as overseas fee payers may challenging their fee status after they have accepted a place on the course. However, fees set at the time of the matriculation must be paid. Refunds will be given, if a student status changes the fee due. Note: When a fee statusis reasessed after the term starts, the home fees are charged for the next academic year"
- http://www.docstoc.com/docs/16206543/FEE-STATUS
It's written by St. Andrews. However, it's maybe a bit outdated.

I've not managed to find anything about this on the university's system, but the document you found looks legit. And it more or less looks like you can start asking around about the change once you're here. As long as you qualify for home fee status. Are you in the EU...? Because I find it odd you became an overseas fee payer if you said in the application that you're from Holland or somewhere. :s-smilie:
Original post by Helsy
I've not managed to find anything about this on the university's system, but the document you found looks legit. And it more or less looks like you can start asking around about the change once you're here. As long as you qualify for home fee status. Are you in the EU...? Because I find it odd you became an overseas fee payer if you said in the application that you're from Holland or somewhere. :s-smilie:

Hi! My case is complicated, but if you're interested I'll summarize it haha.
To be classified as EU, you have to have been "ordinarily resident" in the EU for 3 years before the starting date of the course. I'm from Finland, but I've been living in Peru for seven years... a long time!

BUT there is one valid exception: parent's "temporary work overseas". For this, a contract is needed as proof. My mom is self-employed, she came here to invest, therefore there is NO contract, but my argument would be to say that she originally came here to invest short-term, but due to economic difficulty (coincides with the 2007-2008 financial crisis) we were unable to return to Finland. Also, she intents to return to Finland -yeah, maybe not, but you know, sometimes you have to make a case :wink:

My father is and always has been resident in Finland. This should help, since "significant ties" are also a factor. This includes family, property and so on.

I'd say I have a 20% chance, it's not too big since the university will "do anything" to keep me as international. Like my admission officer here said, they're "de$perate for money" in these economically hard times :smile:

But that's what I'll do. Once I'm settled there and have my bags unpacked I'll begin to ask around -once they can't kick me out! Lol :biggrin:
Reply 2193
To be classified as EU, you have to have been "ordinarily resident" in the EU for 3 years before the starting date of the course. I'm from Finland, but I've been living in Peru for seven years... a long time!

BUT there is one valid exception: parent's "temporary work overseas". For this, a contract is needed as proof. My mom is self-employed, she came here to invest, therefore there is NO contract, but my argument would be to say that she originally came here to invest short-term, but due to economic difficulty (coincides with the 2007-2008 financial crisis) we were unable to return to Finland. Also, she intents to return to Finland -yeah, maybe not, but you know, sometimes you have to make a case :wink:

My father is and always has been resident in Finland. This should help, since "significant ties" are also a factor. This includes family, property and so on.

I'd say I have a 20% chance, it's not too big since the university will "do anything" to keep me as international. Like my admission officer here said, they're "de$perate for money" in these economically hard times :smile:

But that's what I'll do. Once I'm settled there and have my bags unpacked I'll begin to ask around -once they can't kick me out! Lol :biggrin:

Definitely try then, because I would say this is the sort of thing you need to explain to someone face to face, not via email or a form.

And if it helps, try and pull the hardship side of it, and say you find it difficult to pay the full international fees, and seeing as you're Finnish and your Dad etc etc etc. :smile:
Reply 2194

I don't know what the specifics of your case are, but if you are a Finnish citizen with a Finnish passport, you just tell them you lived within the EU for the past three years and be over with it. Nothing that you resided in Peru for 7 years.

I am an EU citizen and have lived in the EU my whole life, but if I did live outside the EU for the past 3 years, no one would know about it and no one requires an actual proof that you have in fact resided within the EU 3 years prior to your university enrollment.

Was it absolutely necessary to reveal the fact that you resided in Peru?
Reply 2195
Wahey! Glad this thread is here! I've accepted and firmed for French Italian, anyone else on the same course? Looking forward to meeting you all! :biggrin:
Reply 2196
Original post by theteenagecurse
Firmed St Andrews :smile: :smile: :smile:

Same! :biggrin: Whatcha studying?
Reply 2197
Original post by warlock
I don't know what the specifics of your case are, but if you are a Finnish citizen with a Finnish passport, you just tell them you lived within the EU for the past three years and be over with it. Nothing that you resided in Peru for 7 years.

I am an EU citizen and have lived in the EU my whole life, but if I did live outside the EU for the past 3 years, no one would know about it and no one requires an actual proof that you have in fact resided within the EU 3 years prior to your university enrollment.

Was it absolutely necessary to reveal the fact that you resided in Peru?

For once, it's rather obvious when you graduate from a school in Peru and none of your certificates are in Finnish...
Reply 2198
Original post by AlixMA
Hello !

I have a question... I received a conditional offer to study in St Andrews, and on the offer on UCAS they say I need to provide them with evidence of all my previous qualifications. So here's the question: should I send them my reports from previous years or is the information I added on the UCAS application enough ?
Just so you know, I am not in the UK, I live in Brussels, and study in an European School (I don't know if you've heard of them) and I'm preparing my European Baccalaureate, if you want to know everything :smile:.

No one wants to help me ? :sad::cry2:
Reply 2199
Original post by AlixMA
No one wants to help me ? :sad::cry2:

You just have to send copies of your reports/certificates to the admission office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending