The Student Room Group

For all those who have done History AS and A2

Do you think it would be possible to do the entire course (AS and A2 combined) within a year?
As a bit of context, I'm currently doing Economics (which won't require much effort; I already know most of the A2 syllabus), English Lit (as Economics), Maths, the EPQ (on Economics), and I'll be doing Further Maths AS (well, not all of it; I plan to do Stats 2 and 3 and throw in Pure 1 for good measure - I'll be doing a lot of the revision for that in the summer hols, though).
Thoughts are appreciated.
Reply 1
It depends on what exam board you are taking it under. I know that it would be quite hard to do the OCR one in a year. You have coursework and a 3 hour exam which is taken before the main exam season starts and doesn't require too much revision but still. The coursework takes up a lot of time because there is a lot of research that needs to be done. Those are both A2 parts. For AS there are two exams that you have to do. I just think that it would be too much hard work on top of other subjects. I found it hard doing the A2 only with my other subjects due to the coursework. Do you really need to take it as you already are doing a lot of subjects? Most unis only give offers for 3 subjects. Both of mine are and I've done 4 A2's.
(edited 12 years ago)
To me History felt like the workload of 2 A levels put together. If you're really bright and absorb information and ideas very quickly and easily then it may be possible. It depends if you think it would jeopardise your other A-levels really, you seem quite confident about them but it would be a lot of work- but as I said, depends on your natural ability and intelligence as well as the amount of time on your hands.
It's totally possible - I did it and got an A. I did OCR (can't remember if it was A or B), no problem.

The issue was that of course, my school didn't normally offer it as an intensive A level (and it took a hell of a lot of begging and promises for me to be allowed to do it). That meant that I had AS history classes scheduled at the same time as A2 German, for example. So even more self teaching was required. In the modules I took, A2 knowledge built on AS stuff so I had to try and read ahead as much as I could.

It was all fine though - I put the work in and got good grades out. Unfortunately I was ill (and out of classes) from February onwards, so I missed even more classes. However, even with that I managed it. Shows what a little determination and a lot of hard work can do!
No I don't think so.
Reply 5
I think if you put in lots of work then you could. History was always the A level I found hardest, but then at A2 it was by far my best mark. Further Maths AS really isn't very much work - I did that in spare time with not very much class-time and found it pretty straightforward. Equally, maths A level you should be able to do just by turning up to the lessons. So if you're willing to work hard and want the challenge, I think it's doable, but there's no reason you should feel pressured into doing it.
Original post by Markleberry
Do you think it would be possible to do the entire course (AS and A2 combined) within a year?
As a bit of context, I'm currently doing Economics (which won't require much effort; I already know most of the A2 syllabus), English Lit (as Economics), Maths, the EPQ (on Economics), and I'll be doing Further Maths AS (well, not all of it; I plan to do Stats 2 and 3 and throw in Pure 1 for good measure - I'll be doing a lot of the revision for that in the summer hols, though).

Unless you have a lot of spare time, I doubt it. If your curriculum is anything like mine: At AS you'll have to revise two different time periods and write an exam on both, as well as learn a specific writing-style. At A2 you'll have to learn in depth another time period and in depth the historical controversies surrounding that time period as well as researching and writing 4000 words worth of coursework.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it but you know your own limits.
Reply 7
Original post by Tabers
It depends on what exam board you are taking it under. I know that it would be quite hard to do the OCR one in a year. You have coursework and a 3 hour exam which is taken before the main exam season starts and doesn't require too much revision but still. The coursework takes up a lot of time because there is a lot of research that needs to be done. Those are both A2 parts. For AS there are two exams that you have to do. I just think that it would be too much hard work on top of other subjects. I found it hard doing the A2 only with my other subjects due to the coursework. Do you really need to take it as you already are doing a lot of subjects? Most unis only give offers for 3 subjects. Both of mine are and I've done 4 A2's.

I think my school is with OCR for History. I have no life whatsoever, and as mentioned in the OP the burden of 2 of my other A2s is nonexistent, so i don't think the c/w'll be too much of a worry (I hope).
And I'm honestly not sure if I need to take it. I have Lit as an essay subject, but I'm going for Cambridge (to do Economics) and looking at the type of candidates who are applying I need all the A2s I can get D:

Original post by Bezzler
I think if you put in lots of work then you could. History was always the A level I found hardest, but then at A2 it was by far my best mark. Further Maths AS really isn't very much work - I did that in spare time with not very much class-time and found it pretty straightforward. Equally, maths A level you should be able to do just by turning up to the lessons. So if you're willing to work hard and want the challenge, I think it's doable, but there's no reason you should feel pressured into doing it.

Further Maths was probably going to be my spare time one, with History taking up any free lessons I have (I don't know if every 6th form does this, but mine gives you quite a bit of 'free' time where you're in school but not in lessons), and I'm definitely willing to work hard.

EDIT:

Original post by Rascacielos
Unless you have a lot of spare time, I doubt it. If your curriculum is anything like mine: At AS you'll have to revise two different time periods and write an exam on both, as well as learn a specific writing-style. At A2 you'll have to learn in depth another time period and in depth the historical controversies surrounding that time period as well as researching and writing 4000 words worth of coursework.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it but you know your own limits.

Oh, I have a lot of spare time :tongue: By specific writing style, do you mean writing to AOs? I have a lot of experience of that from Lit.
As for researching, I do a lot of that for my blog, so again I'm pretty confident - but how did you find doing the research? How long did you spend? (if you can remember)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Would't suggest it
I think my school is with OCR for History. I have no life whatsoever, and as mentioned in the OP the burden of 2 of my other A2s is nonexistent, so i don't think the c/w'll be too much of a worry (I hope).
And I'm honestly not sure if I need to take it. I have Lit as an essay subject, but I'm going for Cambridge (to do Economics) and looking at the type of candidates who are applying I need all the A2s I can get D:

Further Maths was probably going to be my spare time one, with History taking up any free lessons I have (I don't know if every 6th form does this, but mine gives you quite a bit of 'free' time where you're in school but not in lessons), and I'm definitely willing to work hard.

EDIT:

Oh, I have a lot of spare time :tongue: By specific writing style, do you mean writing to AOs? I have a lot of experience of that from Lit.
As for researching, I do a lot of that for my blog, so again I'm pretty confident - but how did you find doing the research? How long did you spend? (if you can remember)

Well yes obviously you have to write in the way the examiners want you to, but specifically for history you have to anaylse sources (in 2 out of 4 papers, as well as in one part of the coursework). Sounds easy, but A2 source work can be trickier than GCSE source work.

I spent quite a bit of time researching... probably 40-50 hours in total (all my sources for coursework were from books, which obviously took a lot longer to read than the websites that most students used for their research!). Then obviously you have to analyse all the sources you used and comment on them, involving cross referencing etc and then write the essay. About your blog: it's good if you've already done the research (although unless you write a very long blog, you're going to have to go much more in depth if you want a good grade), but I don't expect you know what you have to write about yet for your coursework, or do you? For EDEXCEL at least you have certain basic questions that you have to answer, i.e. one essay on the short-term effects of an event/person/piece of legislation etc (I did the effectiveness of Willy Brandt of reconciling the FRG and GDR in the period 1969-74) and another on the long-term history of something (mine was a set essay title that everyone in my class did about Russo-German relations over a hundred year period, between 1890 and 1990 ish). Obviously different teachers work in different ways, but you don't have complete freedom to write about whatever you'd like. You'd be very lucky if you've already researched both topics in depth!!

My exam board was EDEXCEL though so I don't know how useful this will be if you're doing OCR.

Anyway, as I said, it's up to you but personally I wouldn't. You'll get more benefit and more enjoyment of doing History for the set amount of time. Some A-levels you can do in 1 year, but History is one of those A-levels that takes time and the more you practise, the better you get. Why the rush to get it done so quickly anyway?
Reply 10
Against the preconception, it's definitely more about your ability to spin facts into themes rather than being a human encyclopaedia with names, dates, locations, etc; with that said I still think there is way too much to learn to be able to cram it into one year.

it depends....

if you know how to write essays in the way that the exams want and are naturally able to write well and obviously are good at absorbing info...or at least the general points of the topics in question because it is very much HOW YOU WRITE, AND NOT WHAT YOU WRITE

then its easy peasy.....
Reply 12
Original post by infernalcradle
it depends....

if you know how to write essays in the way that the exams want and are naturally able to write well and obviously are good at absorbing info...or at least the general points of the topics in question because it is very much HOW YOU WRITE, AND NOT WHAT YOU WRITE

then its easy peasy.....

This is a very good point. It will largely depend on whether it clicks, I think. I got 263 for my AS, which was a secure A but not great. Somewhere in upper sixth something suddenly clicked, and I got 292, with two modules getting full marks. I didn't feel any more confident with the material for A2 - it was simply that I somehow learned how to write the right style of essays for the exam.

Then I came to uni and learned that it was all wrong again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending