The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

How respected is Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I think it's only fair to point out that alexs2602 is talking a load of crap :tongue:

Yet you dont have the balls to tell me that or explain yourself? Unless you're pretending to be Swedish; who would you trust? Edinburgh's fine, just not who I'd consider my second choice for International relations(or for most other courses, if I could apply to wherever I wanted) in a million years. It's a back up choice at best for OP. The way I see it it goes Oxford/Cambridge, then LSE and UCL which then leaves any other uni. So at best Edinburgh is 4th, though probably 5th if it is chosen at all.

In fact lets explore this more; Edinburgh is more comparable with my firm choice; Nottingham than the top 5/top 10 uni like OP should end up going to. It isnt on the same level as Imperial, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Durham, KCL.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by alexs2602
In fact lets explore this more; Edinburgh is more comparable with my firm choice; Nottingham than the top 5/top 10 uni like OP should end up going to.

:rolleyes: I had no idea I was dealing with someone so experienced.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
:rolleyes: I had no idea I was dealing with someone so experienced.

I never said I was 'experienced' whatever that's supposed to mean but I've done tons of research and I wonder where you gathered your opinion? Ranking tables? If so, don't make me laugh. Ranking tables are rough at best which many academics agree(there's a paper by a Manchester Professor about just this).
Reply 43
It's respected, yes but obviously you want to go for the very best which arguably Edinburgh isn't. Don't get me wrong; for someone less academically able than yourself it's a great choice but you've got an excellent GPA which puts you head and shoulders above most Edinburgh uni applicants.

Glad you know so much about Edinburgh applicants, and by inference, students and graduates. In fact, your knowledge is simply astounding. Since the public information about applicants doesn't include offers or their grades, you must have met or surveyed all applicants!

All, err, 45,000 to 50,000 of them...

Just as a side note about Edinburgh, only five British Universities have produced Prime Ministers. Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Mason Science College (Birmingham).
Original post by NeoNerd
Glad you know so much about Edinburgh applicants, and by inference, students and graduates. In fact, your knowledge is simply astounding. Since the public information about applicants doesn't include offers or their grades, you must have met or surveyed all applicants!

All, err, 45,000 to 50,000 of them...

Just as a side note about Edinburgh, only five British Universities have produced Prime Ministers. Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Mason Science College (Birmingham).

Typical Edinburgh offer seems to be about 3.1GPA, OP is 3.9 which isnt just a little bit better than 3.1, it's a lot better. I frequent the American thread, do you?
Reply 45
Typical Edinburgh offer seems to be about 3.1GPA, OP is 3.9 which isnt just a little bit better than 3.1, it's a lot better. I frequent the American thread, do you?

Nope. Just attended the University for four years.
Edinburgh's a great university. It has a really flexible layout to its courses which appeals to a lot of people as it gives you a broader range of options and allows you to study up to three subjects in your first two years. The city is also beautiful and vibrant. In terms of rankings, it's always top 15 and occasionally top 10. It's also got one of the highest employment rates of all UK universities according to a recent article in the Telegraph.

Having said that, they rejected me. So, y'know, I didn't want to go there anyway. :eviltongue:
Original post by tite23
On a side note, how do you guys pronounce Edinburgh? Americans tend to say "Edin-boro", I used to call it "Edin-burg", and I've been hearing various British people say "Edin-brah" or some other thing which I can't quite catch. What is the correct pronunciation?

As a native Scotsman that lives just 17 miles from the city... "Edin-bruh"
Edin-burg is completely wrong, so is edin-boro.
Reply 48
Original post by mckinnon94
As a native Scotsman that lives just 17 miles from the city... "Edin-bruh"
Edin-burg is completely wrong, so is edin-boro.

Gotcha. I'll be sure to remember that :smile:
Reply 49
"Edin-bruh" is a great uni, and a great city.
Reply 50
I'd go for Edin-Burra, and I'm from Aberdeen. Well, not really 'burra' but I can' think of a better way of writing it.
A suprising amount of Americans I know, hold Manchester in high regard. Honestly didn't know the university had that kind of an international reputation.
Original post by NeoNerd
Nope. Just attended the University for four years.

I never said Edinburgh wasn't a good university, it's great, but do you realise how good OP's GPA is? It, iirc, is enough for any university she wants. I'd have to find out more about her APs but she sounds like a serious Oxbridge contender. So why should she bother with any uni outside the top 5? Edinburgh isn't top 5, can you admit that? It's not even top 10.
Original post by tite23

What are you APs like btw?
Reply 54
What are you APs like btw?

Not swell :smile: Only two 5s so far, two 4s, one 3. I'm taking seven more this year, but what I've got right now isn't quite Oxbridge material. Otherwise I'd apply.
Original post by tite23

The way the guy below said it "Edin-burra" and that he couldn't think of a better way to put it...I would still say it is "edin-bruh" but it's like we put emphasis on the b flowing into the R so it can sound like "burra" a bit, but it's definitely closer to bruh.

Edit: It's like a flicking motion with the tongue across the roof of your mouth when you're doing it. At least, when I do it :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by mckinnon94
The way the guy below said it "Edin-burra" and that he couldn't think of a better way to put it...I would still say it is "edin-bruh" but it's like we put emphasis on the b flowing into the R so it can sound like "burra" a bit, but it's definitely closer to bruh.

Wait, you don't roll the R or anything, do you?
Original post by crazycake93
A suprising amount of Americans I know, hold Manchester in high regard. Honestly didn't know the university had that kind of an international reputation.

The international tables (particularly QRS) put loads of emphasis on research and, as Manchester is the largest university in the country, its research budget is immense.
Reply 58
Edinburgh is not what it used to be...
Original post by tite23
Not swell :smile: Only two 5s so far, two 4s, one 3. I'm taking seven more this year, but what I've got right now isn't quite Oxbridge material. Otherwise I'd apply.

Aaaah, ok, sorry, for my slight misinterpretation, I did say I wasn't completely familiar with the system however that's pretty decent, good enough for a lot of universities. You could still apply to pretty much wherever you wanted, you probably want to add one or two more 5s to that. After that I'd say it's a bit pointless. You still might want to consider Oxbridge; you have to remember that most British students don't have their qualifications until the July or August before they start.

You may want to email Oxbridge regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending