The Student Room Group

GOP/Republicans To Blame For Budget Impasse, Not Democrats...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mjeezy

WHY DID THE DEMOCRATS NOT PASS A BUDGET WHEN THEY HAD CONTROL OF CONGRESS?

They should have, but Obama's signature legislation of universal healthcare took precedence (and much longer to pass than anyone expected). He succeeded in passing it and indeed all legal challenges for its repeal have been either been quashed or have little chance of actually succeeding. I agree though, a budget plan should have been passed (as well as the ending of legislature pieces such as the Buh tax cuts etc) - but then, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Original post by mjeezy
Also, how can people seriously quote that 80 percent of Americans favor the Dems' plan...? That's just ridiculous.

Its actually 2/3 of people, which is still a significant and sizeable margin, particularly when you compare it to those who favour the Republican plan.
Original post by Made in the USA
Of course I am biased

I think democrats are the scum of the earth. I agree with them on most social issues, but they are so wrong on the economic issues that they have to be defeated. With no economic liberties there are no civil liberties, full stop.

How you ever get the impression that I wanted to treat the two major parties with any degree of even handedness?

And herein lies why you've been shown to be a complete and utter moron by PolPot in this thread; he's pretty much outright owned/slaughtered you and your argument. No wonder you have no response...
Reply 22
I read the title of this thread as:

GOD/Republicans To Blame For Budget Impasse, Not Democrats...
Original post by manchild007
And herein lies why you've been shown to be a complete and utter moron by PolPot in this thread; he's pretty much outright owned/slaughtered you and your argument. No wonder you have no response...

Trust me it wasn't hard; he did most of the work himself :rolleyes:
Original post by PolPotIsAnIdiot
That polls shows - aside from the numbers wanting the debt ceiling to be increased rising (and the numbers who don't want the debt ceiling increased drastically falling) - that opinion is at best, split on the issue and has been changing in favour of raising the debt ceiling, as the issue has been brought into the mainsteam.

The numbers maybe getting close to one another, but the fact still stands that a majority are against raising the debt ceiling.

Ergo, your point is proven wrong, and evidently by the very source you've posted. :facepalm:

My point was that a majority were against raising the debt ceiling, and even though the numbers of people saying it's ok to raise it are going up, my point still stands that MORE people are against raising it.

You have direct evidence above in the OP, WHICH DIRECTLY SAYS THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE SUPPORT THE DEMOCRATS PLAN IN CUTTING SPENDING AND RAISING TAXES (AND THAT THEY DO NOT SUPPORT THE REPUBLICAN PLAN OF ONLY SPENDING CUTS. A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY SUPPORT THIS. IF THIS ISN'T DIRECT EVIDENCE, THEN YOU MUST BE MORE RETARDED THAN I THOUGHT Also, stop bringing in the 2010 Midterm election results into the fray, which are meaningless in this debate (see below for the obvious reasons as to why).

The problem is that the democrats will never abide by their agreements. This happened before in 1990. George H W Bush made a deal with democrats in a bipartisan deal promising $2 in spending cuts for every $1 in tax increases. What happened was that every single penny of the tax increases went through, but Democrats broke their promise to cut spending below the CBO baseline. Instead they actually spent $23 billion above CBO’s pre-budget deal spending baseline. Reagan also got himself in a similar mess when he was promised $3 in spending cuts for every $1 in tax hikes. Republicans are refusing to pass law that increases taxes this year based on some dubious promise to spending cuts later as they believe that Obama and Democrats will reneg on cuts as congress has done over and over again.

When voters say they think revenues and spending cuts are the answer, they are living in a fantasy world. I don't think they understand that one side (the democrats) are as trustworthy as used car salesmen.

Regardless of what people want, the fact is that it is a spending problem we have, not a revenue problem. Since 1960, as a percentage of GDP revenues have always been about 15-20 percent. When the highest marginal tax was 91% it was 15-20 percent, when it is 35% it is still 15-20 percent.

Also, LMFAO at you using a Rasmussen Report as your only source - with Rasmussen having been openly called biased, and indeed even had an entire Time article dedicated to it and its Republican bias. Do however feel free to provide me with another source, as your opinion (according to you) is supported by the masses and so should be reflected as such by every poll :rolleyes:

Why is Rasmussen Report, which you say is biased towards the GOP any less credible than the democrat favoring gallup poll?

If you prefer gallup, here is a poll from them saying that "Approximately 42% of voters said they want their representatives to reject the raise, while 22% want lawmakers to support it, according to the survey released Tuesday."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2011/07/poll-americans-want-congress-to-vote-against-raising-the-debt-ceiling

If this comment is directed at me you tard, then I'm actually American by-the-by (well a duel US/UK citizen but have lived in the US). Also stop veering so evidently off-topic with the Midterms - the issue is not about Midterms and indeed the loss Obama experienced at the time, which has many more significant factors at play (like a fledgling economy alongside excessive spending). THE ISSUE NOW IS THAT MOST PEOPLE AGREE WITH THE DEMOCRATIC PLAN OVER THE REPUBLICAN PLAN - EVIDENCE FOR WHICH IS PLAIN TO SEE IN THE OP.

I have dual citizenship too. I keep bringing up the midterms for a few reasons:

#1 I feel like people living in foreign countries fail to grasp the sheer magnitude of the defeat Obama's policies were dealt.

#2 The republicans are doing what they were elected to do. Yes, there are a lot of convoluted polls out there saying the public want their leaders to do contradictory things, but the most important poll was the election and people voted overwhelmingly against the democrats.
Thought this was interesting:

The majority of economists surveyed by the National Association for Business Economics believe that the federal deficit should be reduced only or primarily through spending cuts.

Http://www.cnbc.com/Id/44226011

So the majority of economists support the republican approach of reducing spending versus the democrat approach of trying to rob more money from hard working American taxpayers :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Made in the USA
So the majority of economists support the republican approach of reducing spending versus the democrat approach of trying to rob more money from hard working American taxpayers :biggrin:

Are you in capable of reading English? Genuine question.

56% of economists preferred a approach, dependent mostly on spending cuts (though is anyone against this?), but not exclusively and outrightly so. For example, from the findings of the survey;

- Roughly three out of four respondents said that a revamp of the tax code should raise revenues and should be used to reduce the deficit.
- The National Association for Business Economics poll also found broad support for raising fresh revenues, through a comprehensive overhaul of the tax code, to eat into the national debt.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending