The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Same here! I've only read one of my texts, and we were meant to have handed it in well before the Christmas holidays... Oops. What are you doing yours on? I know that I should have had it done by now, or at least started it, but I just can't be bothered with school at all this year!
Reply 2
we have our first drafts to be handed in on our first day back - i haven't started writing mines out yet, coz ive been stressing about my 3rd book choice lol

i have plenty of notes on 2 of the books but one of them i don't have as much. i haven't properly read my 3rd book either.. which isn't good lol

it's just making me nervous now - ill be glad when all of this is over. when have your's to be handed in?
Mine was meant to be in before the Christmas holidays! :mad: I'm really panicky, but i still can't bring myself to do anything... *sighs*
Reply 4
I think my teacher has given up nagging me - we were supposed to hand in the question in November, a plan in December and a draft in January. I have just finished READING both texts. I don't think theres enough material to fill up 3, 500 - 4, 500 words. And they're modern novels so I can't buy notes for them.

Shipping News and Accidental Tourist but I'm thinking I need a third book or I might replace Accidental Tourist.
Reply 5
im currently starting typing up some scraps for an essay draft tomorrow but theres no way i could get it completed - i have notes and quotes but a pretty decent plan however i just dont have the energy or mind power to work on it at the moment since im suffering from food poisoning (damn that chicken!)

my teacher would kill me if i came in tomoro on our first day back with nothing. damn me for having fun during my holidays instead of working my ass off! lol i might add that i haven't completely read any of my books - ive skimmed them and thats the best that ive done. does watching the films count as reading the text :P?
Basing my question on dystopias by Orwell, Zamyatin and Huxley. Have read the texts twice and compiled a set of pretty comprehensive notes but haven't started the dissertation.

What is everyone else writing about?
Reply 7
I handed in a shoddy heap of crap on the works of Camus about a month ago in the hopes that it would be read after I've actually written the good copy.

I've still not got round to it yet, lol.
The_Despoiler - you seem to be pretty advanced in what your doing. *Sobs*

LMNT101 - hopefully, lol! What's yours on (what films have you seen? :rolleyes: )

I'm doing mine on the American Dream in Death of a Salesman and Huckleberry Finn. It wasn't really my idea, so I'm not particularly enthusiastic and I just can't generally be bothered! However, my teacher is beginning to look like she might kill me if I don't hand something in soon.......
Reply 9
I've still to read one of my texts. I'm studying Margaret Atwood and to be honest I'm really getting into the other text, and I have plenty notes to start my dissertation, I just can't be bothered reading the other one.
I've finally done my first draft after much prevarication. I'm doing "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, "The Remains of the Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro and E.M.Forster's "Howards End." I'm looking at English national identity in the earlier twentieth century, concentrating on the class syatem and emotional/ sexual repression. It only has just over the minimum number of words though, so I think there's room for expansion. Now I must start thinking about that bloody history dissertation (government in eighteenth century Scotland.)
Reply 11
okay, well over a month later and ive completed a draft - it even went past the word limit so i have till after my prelims to have a completed version which should be ok.

im doing The Pianist, The Power Of One and Angela's Ashes - i found out the books are just as good as the films hehe
Reply 12
um s**t! a month later and i am a mere 1300 words in. well done lmnt101! aaah.
Reply 13
yay other folk doin AH english! ive done my first draft buts its far far far too long (and a bit crap) so theres a bit of editing to be done. i did it on anna karenina and madam bovary, it was about adultery and the such. *shudders* twas nastiness writing it.
I have a document consisting of a 6000+ word dissertation, among a myriad of footnotes, quotes, ideas etc - what a bloody mess. I am thinking that my question is too wide-ranging; using a quote from the afterword of Nineteen Eighty-Four, I have posed the question of to what extend does a dystopian society remove people from their inherent human characteristics.

I feel that my dissertation is fighting on about five or six different fronts.
I'm writing mine on The Waves and To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - what makes it especially difficult is that I could easily write 4000 words on one of the books; two is just impossible. As a result my dissertation on first drafting was about twice the word limit. I've actually cut out my entire section on characterisation now, and it's down to just over 4000 words. It's basically about structure and narrative technique. Virginia Woolf's good to do - her books are really complicated, but wonderful to analyse because there's so much in all her writing. Plus, you have the added benefit of being unique - haven't heard of anyone else doing Virginia Woolf yet.
Reply 16
well here i am again - another draft is to be handed in tomorrow and i haven't done anymore work since the my last draft - woops oh well.. i just don't know where i'm going with the essay. it's basically done, but its quality im worried about not quantity at the moment
I've FINALLY done my first draft, it's far too long (nearly 6000 words) and really not very good at all... But at least it's done! I guess it'll be easier to edit now that I've actually got something down on paper...

Right, now to do my AH History one... :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Oh god. I'm still on my first draft!!!!! 2,800 words and counting, and I'm still rambling on about one bloody book. My friend has written 10, 000 words which is WAY over.
Reply 19
Okay it is like a week later and I'm still pretty much where I was.

Latest

Trending

Trending